Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,311 times

Advertisements

My husband is an RN who had back surgery less than a year ago. Like many who have back surgery he is limited in what he can do and this will be for the remainder of his life (he is only 38). He was an ICU nurse before the surgery and went to Hospice care after (less physically intensive). He has been researching telephone nursing jobs (they seem to pop up under insurance companies) where he would not be doing direct patient care. He likes his job but it is becoming physically too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for companies they may know of or even a direction to point him in?
By the way we are no longer bound for Montana, but staying in middle TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I don't know any specific companies but I did find this:

Nurse.com - Insurance Nurses Ensure Care

Help at hand from Tenn. Regulatory agency : Columnists : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Telephone Triage

I would suggest going to www.allnurses.com and ask the nurses there.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Nurse paralegal at a law firm.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM

188 posts, read 662,895 times
I work as a research nurse. You do have patient contact, but it's very limited as far as activity goes and you could pretty much sit through most of it. Most of it is paperwork (lots of that) and data entry (ditto), but you do need to draw blood, take vitals and do the occasional ekg. However, it's one patient at a time and at least in my case, they are sitting in an office, so there's no walking around other than doing normal office work stuff. No lifting, bed changes, etc =).

Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,578 times
I worked at an health insurance company as an RN. They hire many case managers to follow patients who are admitted to the hospital. I enjoyed the 9-5 hours and no weekends. It doesn't pay as much as hospital nursing, but it sure was more relaxing. You end up with a bit of office politics, but that beats floor nursing in my opinion. There's also the possibility of advancement into the management level which will have better pay.

My friend works in case management for home health care and there's very little patient contact there. She just sends nurses out to where they need to be and make sure shifts are covered.

Another friend of mine is a drug rep. Lots of hours spent traveling around, but that pays pretty good and drug companies love hiring nurses. Especially ones that have actually worked as a nurse.

You can look at big corporations. I know companies usually have a company health center or at least a nurse that doles out OTC drugs and bandaids. Factories usually have occupational health nurses. Not very intense. But these jobs seem hard to come by because people who land these jobs usually don't want to leave.

Good Luck. Nurses are needed everywhere and I'm sure your husband will be able to find something that he will be able to do.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Great suggestions above ^^. I also wanted to throw out the possibility of RN expert testimony for legal cases. Other options might be school nurse, teaching at a LPN program, etc.

Good luck to your hubby. Also, I wanted to let you know that you can actually change your member name if you would like. All of your posts would stay intact but just your name would change at the top. If you want to change it just send me your top three choices.

Take care.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 30,758 times
Where do i find these drug rep jobs for drug companies? i never see any jobs advertised. any company names i can look at or no of any person to contact directly? desperate RN to get out of Home Healthcare after 18 years, any help would be most appreciated, email me at [email]davinarn@yahoo.com[/email] Oh, by the way i live in the DFW area in texas

Last edited by davinaRN; 10-28-2010 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: location

Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 AM

13 posts, read 125,434 times
i think this will help you out. I dont know much about of such jobs but still found this for you . Non Patient Care Nursing Jobs - Nursing Jobs

Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
My husband is an RN who had back surgery less than a year ago. Like many who have back surgery he is limited in what he can do and this will be for the remainder of his life (he is only 38). He was an ICU nurse before the surgery and went to Hospice care after (less physically intensive). He has been researching telephone nursing jobs (they seem to pop up under insurance companies) where he would not be doing direct patient care. He likes his job but it is becoming physically too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for companies they may know of or even a direction to point him in?
By the way we are no longer bound for Montana, but staying in middle TN.
Industrial nurse or school nurse. Even in hospitals, many nurses aren't involved with lifting of patients, many do Quality Assurance, Risk Management and other clerical jobs, writing procedures. Some hospitals hire patient advocates.

And universities and communty colleges hire nurses to teach nursing programs.

Plus he could train for other health care positions such as pharmacy which pays very very well and requires little physical effort.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
My friend is an RN in Virginia and she works for a county health clinic that specifically serves county public employees (police officers, fireman, paramedics, etc). She has Monday - Friday daytime hours and basically sees employees for their annual physicals, vacinations, or whatever else they need. I don't think she deals with the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment