Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 24,000 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not.

I still think working at a place longer than a few years is great!!

It looks like dedication on a resume. Loser should be the farthest thing from your mind.

I feel it's rare, but also a rare asset. What manager is looking at a resume with several job hops thinking "Wow, that's what I want, a 1-2 year commitment for my time, energy and training at my company!"

Kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Generations back, it was a mark of good character to hold a position for a long time (possibly an entire career); but this generation sees each open position as a possibility to better one's salary/career path.

Has the current economic climate brought us back to conservative behavior, or is it still a wise investment in yourself to try to jump to the next lily pad?
Actually I find it admirable, and I'm youngish (early 30's). If you are content where you are at, I see no reason to worry about it. Why fix what isn't broken?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I don't know if it makes you a loser or not. That's a somewhat relative term.

However, many years ago there was a book called "The 14 Critical Years" that postulated that if you hadn't made management by that time, that you were in fact, dubbed a loser and probably never going to get there.
Like you said, it's relative. If one has no desire to be in management, I'd say they are doing great in that respect. I've known many people who've moved on to management only to later regret doing so.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:41 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Generations back, it was a mark of good character to hold a position for a long time (possibly an entire career); but this generation sees each open position as a possibility to better one's salary/career path.

Has the current economic climate brought us back to conservative behavior, or is it still a wise investment in yourself to try to jump to the next lily pad?
I would say you have found a great career path and something you enjoy doing.

But I am a job hopper and would not be where I am today without job hopping.

Actually this climate is making me want to quit and work in another industry. At the same time I will probably end up staying at this job longer than I normally would have. It is scary to change jobs in this climate, and tought to even find one.

Most employees where I work have been here a good portion of their careers. ~20+. From their complaining I don't think they like it here at all. But yet they stay. This place would cut them in a heart beat so hopefully they aren't staying because of loyalty. Probably due to pensions. Maybe they just like to complain I have worked with people like that.

I am a grass is always greener type when it comes to jobs. Sure, I have gone to companies that were absolutely horrible, but in the end my career never suffers from it.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
depends on where you work.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Whenever I get a job, I'd like to think that it would be the company I would retire from. It doesn't always end up that way. However, after 3 years at the same job, I tend to be antsy and bored. I always aim to stay with the same company and move from within...keeps your benefits accruing without being stuck in a rot of the same job. It usually is a promotion for me each time I move from one department to another.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
I don't think that staying at one job would make you a loser. I would not leave a job that made me happy and paid enough to make a living.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
no you are a winner but just bek nobody is aware of it does not make it so.
i know its so.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default well if this is true...

However, many years ago there was a book called "The 14 Critical Years" that postulated that if you hadn't made management by that time, that you were in fact, dubbed a loser and probably never going to get there.

...and a prospective wife believes this, than i aint never getting married ever because i've been with this company for 18 years and never made mgt, tho my salary has grown by $30,000 since i started 18 years ago

i don't want a wife and eveyone else in my life secretely calling me a loser behind my back, who needs it

waking up alone is better than waking up to someone who will never be satisfied

Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

...and a prospective wife believes this, than i aint never getting married ever because i've been with this company for 18 years and never made mgt, tho my salary has grown by $30,000 since i started 18 years ago

i don't want a wife and eveyone else in my life secretely calling me a loser behind my back, who needs it

waking up alone is better than waking up to someone who will never be satisfied
I believe the book was about how the Corp. looked at you, not prospective mates! LOL!

It was written by Robert L. Dilenschneider, who also wrote "On Power". Not really "self help" material in the usual sense of the term.

FWIW, one of the jobs of women is to pick the best provider for any children that may happen. I believe it's in their genetics to do so, if not in their psyche. So like it or not, the majority of women *are* looking at your earning power. I'd guess they're thinking, "What is life going to be like with this guy who's going to want to boink me every day?"

Heck even some gals I went to high school with and still keep in touch with (now some 30 years later) clearly are always interested in my earning power, even though they won't say it. But with just the slightest reading between the lines, it's there.

But then I'm originally from a place in the U.S. where status and wealth were around and easy to see, and every gal wanted into that echelon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment