Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,387,184 times

Advertisements

Just beginning to think about a mid-life career change and I think the Aquatic Biology/Aquatic Environmental fields may be a good fit for me. I have an education/background in engineering/marketing/entrepeneurship. I pursued these fields more for the career/$ opportunities and now want to pursue something I'm more passionate about. I'm now thinking about going back to school and obtaining a Masters/PhD in Aquatic Biology/Environmentalism. (I'm currently researching these degree programs as they seem to differ by school).

I'm really a researcher/environmentalist at heart and have volunteered at Nature Conservancies, Great Lakes cleanup, Canadian lake surveys, and Caribbean coral reef protection. I am a fit, hands-on, outdoorsy person who loves "getting hands dirty" and could spend all day in the water. I'm enthralled by all fish, aquatic insects, lake/stream ecology, and coral reef spawning. I have always loved research and have been told I have good public speaking/teaching/written communication skills. I am currently working toward a Master Scuba Diver certification w/specialty courses in reef ecology. When I dive with friends, they are often impressed with my knowledge of the ecosystem and ability to identify species in murky waters.

I could really picture myself doing this kind of work as a new career and into retirement. Though my family/friends probably think it's a crazy pipe dream! Is there anyone on this forum with a background in this w/some sage advice? I'm all ears....

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 04-23-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,131,089 times
If you have two years go right ahead. Two years from now, you could still be wishing, where if go right ahead you will be on your way to fullfill your dream!!

Since you already have one degree, you only need two years to finish the second degree. You could finish in a year and half, if you already have your biology requirements out of the way!!

Go for it!! You will definitely find a job, with the government or international science agency or non-profit.

Learn another language (foreign) and take lots quantitative and statistic classes. People love statistics or measuring tools!

Do an internship on one of those science stations!!

good luck!

And if you are really psyched you could go another 2 years and get your PhD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Just beginning to think about a mid-life career change and I think the Aquatic Biology/Aquatic Environmental fields may be a good fit for me. I have an education/background in engineering/marketing/entrepeneurship. I pursued these fields more for the career/$ opportunities and now want to pursue something I'm more passionate about. I'm now thinking about going back to school and obtaining a Masters/PhD in Aquatic Biology/Environmentalism. (I'm currently researching these degree programs as they seem to differ by school).

I'm really a researcher/environmentalist at heart and have volunteered at Nature Conservancies, Great Lakes cleanup, Canadian lake surveys, and Caribbean coral reef protection. I am a fit, hands-on, outdoorsy person who loves "getting hands dirty" and could spend all day in the water. I'm enthralled by all fish, aquatic insects, lake/stream ecology, and coral reef spawning. I have always loved research and have been told I have good public speaking/teaching/written communication skills. I am currently working toward a Master Scuba Diver certification w/specialty courses in reef ecology. When I dive with friends, they are often impressed with my knowledge of the ecosystem and ability to identify species in murky waters.

I could really picture myself doing this kind of work as a new career and into retirement. Though my family/friends probably think it's a crazy pipe dream! Is there anyone on this forum with a background in this w/some sage advice? I'm all ears....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment