Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,213,561 times

Advertisements

Have you ever left a job without giving the traditional 2 weeks notice? Have you ever worked at a company where you give the traditional 2 week notice and they cut you loose earlier than you had planned? I had this happen once to me before, within the last 3 years. I even left the company in good standing and it still happened… I plan on quitting my job in 11 months and relocating and I am just planning ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,130,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Have you ever left a job without giving the traditional 2 weeks notice? Have you ever worked at a company where you give the traditional 2 week notice and they cut you loose earlier than you had planned? I had this happen once to me before, within the last 3 years. I even left the company in good standing and it still happened… I plan on quitting my job in 11 months and relocating and I am just planning ahead.

Well, it has never happened to me and i have worked lots of jobs and quit lots of times.

But if you feel that you cannot trust your supervisor or employer, then give one weeks notice.

If you can trust them, then give two weeks notice. and do it, after you have your nest egg firmly established!! Because they have the right to let you go immediately after you give notice!

good luck!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,711 times
I think that it may depend on the company you work for. I have worked for companies before that when you gave your notice you were asked to leave immediately because of the nature of what they did.

Two weeks notice is still the "norm" though. Even if they only take one week - you have at least given them the two weeks and you are showing good faith.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM

536 posts, read 1,872,177 times
I have been let go as soon as I have given notice so it all comes down to how much you trust your current employer. For the most part employers will let you stay.

I have given less then two weeks. Normally it depends on the new employer. We set a start date but if they don't give me a signed offer letter in time I wait to give my notice until I have it. I usually don't try to negotiate a new start date.

I wouldn't give more than two weeks.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,944,611 times
From what I understand, and I could be wrong, but if you give them your two weeks notice then they are required to pay you for two weeks even if they tell you to pack it up that day (could be state by state).

Always give two weeks. Never burn bridges.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Because they have the right to let you go immediately after you give notice!

good luck!
Please don't make generalized statements like that. It is absolutely not the case in many states. In some states an employee can not be terminated for giving notice, although an employer can send the employee home and pay them out for the two weeks.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Please don't make generalized statements like that. It is absolutely not the case in many states. In some states an employee can not be terminated for giving notice, although an employer can send the employee home and pay them out for the two weeks.
This may well change from state to state but I believe you're correct and it may even fall under Federal guidelines. I have fired but one weekly-paid employee who I wasn't comfortable keeping on the job after termination. The employee manual explicitly stated that two weeks notice was required from either party. When I dismissed the employee it was at the end of the working day and I had ready a pay cheque for the next two weeks in lieu of notice.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,947,046 times
The last time I resigned, I gave two weeks' notice and they let me go earlier. I had some unused vacation time and they let me work for one week and then paid me for my vacation for the second week.

Incidentally, my current employer pays me one week in advance. That means that if I quit and give two weeks, I'll end up with only week's pay anyway. The odds of me giving them two weeks are pretty low.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:15 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,819 times
Its polite, but not required, nor can anything bad really happen. Its just courteous and gives them time to prepare for getting a replacement, etc.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 PM

355 posts, read 2,403,757 times
I hope you're right about this. Due to personal reasons, I had to up & quit my job pretty quickly giving only about a 2-DAY notice, I had no choice. My boss was completely understanding about it, but I do wonder if it would affect me in getting a new job. I do have a sister in HR though & she does say that when calling for a reference check, they don't often ask about this anyway. Most companies have very limited information they will give to a future employer--such as start/end date, salary, job title & sometimes that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Its polite, but not required, nor can anything bad really happen. Its just courteous and gives them time to prepare for getting a replacement, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment