Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times

Advertisements

I was watching The River today, and there was a scene where a group of men accepted work at an iron mill while their regulars were on strike. They were met with hostility and violence by the union workers. So I'm wondering, would anyone here cross a picket line during a strike to accept a job?

For me, the only way I would is if my family was hungry and on the verge of homelessness and there were no other options. Otherwise, I would never consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Depends on what my options were. Right now in this economy I would do it in a heartbeat.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Worked with union companies a good portion of my life and all you need to remember is a union is a business like any other business.

There's no brotherhood it's all business.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:27 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,275 times
If I remember that movie correctly the men that crossed that picket line WERE at their last leg with hungry families and NEEDED the work/money, which is why they crossed the picket line. I think if anyone were in that kind of situation they would do the same thing. As bad as I may feel for the workers picketing if it were me in that situation I would cross. Keep in mind also, if it still rings true, once the Union settled those men were let go and had to cross the picket line without the trucks driving them through. My point being that it is not a simple or pretty situation for either side.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
This makes me sick reading these responses. Those picketing have families and bills to pay as well and scabs like you come in and stab them in the back. America really has gone done the crapper when people are willing to cross picket lines. Look at the NWA mechanics strike, replaced by SCAB workers forever. The company broke the union because of people like the above. Sickening.

"Doing whatever it takes" should NOT include crossing picket lines.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
This makes me sick reading these responses. Those picketing have families and bills to pay as well and scabs like you come in and stab them in the back. America really has gone done the crapper when people are willing to cross picket lines. Look at the NWA mechanics strike, replaced by SCAB workers forever. The company broke the union because of people like the above. Sickening.

I may be wrong, but if you're in a union doesn't the union pay part of your salary during a strike? Isn't that part of why you pay dues?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I may or may not cross the line. Years ago when UPS went on strike, the company was offering a better deal to begin with than what the union ultimately settled for.

Unions were at one point neccessary to protect worker safety. These days for the most part they aren't needed for that. Many people in unions are unskilled labor and simply not worth the ridiculous sums of money they are paid. I blame the unions 100% for the US automaker mess.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I may or may not cross the line. Years ago when UPS went on strike, the company was offering a better deal to begin with than what the union ultimately settled for.

Unions were at one point neccessary to protect worker safety. These days for the most part they aren't needed for that. Many people in unions are unskilled labor and simply not worth the ridiculous sums of money they are paid. I blame the unions 100% for the US automaker mess.
That's impressive, maybe you can also blame the UAW for GM making BILLIONS in the years before making the SUV's management told them to make.

In other words it's not the UAW's fault GM continued to make large SUV's with no quality, small car lineup. But hey this is America, where management gets bonuses while labor takes pay cuts for management mistakes. You said it yourself, you blame labor 100%.

Let's not forget there are many union positions out there, from Airline Pilots to School Teachers. The UAW is but one union in a sea of many. Crossing a picket line is akin to cheating on your wife, only worse.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
That's impressive, maybe you can also blame the UAW for GM making BILLIONS in the years before making the SUV's management told them to make.

In other words it's not the UAW's fault GM continued to make large SUV's with no quality, small car lineup. But hey this is America, where management gets bonuses while labor takes pay cuts for management mistakes. You said it yourself, you blame labor 100%.

Let's not forget there are many union positions out there, from Airline Pilots to School Teachers. The UAW is but one union in a sea of many. Crossing a picket line is akin to cheating on your wife, only worse.
And don't get me going on teachers and unions. My guess is that half of the tenured teachers should be out on their butts. Tenure often makes them lazy and complacent. Teachers should be held to the same standards as any other job--if you don't do it well, you are replaced.

The UAW has put such a chokehold on the automakers that even if the execs took ZERO salary, the unions would still be demanding outrageous pay and benefits for what in many cases are jobs you could train a fifth grader to do.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:

It depends on the situation. We had an instance of a grocery store strike. It was basically people stopping us from getting food for the table as the next store was miles away. These strikers were can stackers and lettuce washers we found out were making 20 or more per hour, plus a pension to do those jobs. These were jobs we used to do as kids for spare money turned into careers by the Unions.

Dang straight people crossed the picket lines for work and food as this was sheer nonsense.

Bottom line was the Union and the Company both lost millions. It sounds to me like the time for these barbaric tactics has come and gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment