Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Since things in todays careers change so fast, meaning: new/revised procedures, new computer programs and perhaps other things, is your college degree still worth what it was when you got it? Has new technology and new procedures left your degree/learning behind?

My wife graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in 1997. Earlier this year, she was told that her degree is getting "too old", compared to people who's Bachelor's Degree is 5 years or less old. She told me, "Next thing I know, my degree won't even be worth much due to the age of it. Things I learned at the University are getting to be "old school" compared to today's advanced technology in accounting."

As for me, I don't have a degree, but sure have seen many things change in the Distribution-Logistics areas since I started working in that area in the early 80's! Of course, back then there were NO computers being used in my career area......everything was done by pen and/or electric typewriter. Boy that makes me feel OLD!!

So, do you have an old college degree, still put it on a resume, but do know that things have changed/are changing since getting that degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Degree too old? I never heard that before.
If you keep your skills up with workshops and so on, how can your degree be too old?

Sounds like age discrimination.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
The reference might be to the change in available tools and current practices in the field between 1997 and now. As long as one can document that s/he keeps up with professional development, the age of the degree shouldn't matter.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
It's not "age discrimination", just getting a degree too many years ago. And, yes, in today's workforce a 12 year old degree can be (or is) getting "old". As mentioned before, procedures can change quite fast. Actually, my wife was told by both a Senior Accountant and a Controller that her knowledge of accounting practices that she learned in college, will become "old school" within a short time. Nothing to do with her age, but everything to do with "when" she got her degree. This is especially true when searching for a new job! We have a few boxes of school material she saved while going to college and she told me that most of the stuff saved isn't even used in today's accounting! The material can be thrown away! And, yes, she has gone to workshops to (hopefully) update her skills, but she's not even sure if those workshops (taken 3+ years ago) are now worth as much as they use to be. Plus, a person has to work for a company that offers "workshops" for free or......there goes more money. Just can't win it seems like!
Well, not to use the "age" thing again, but this is one prime reason that people approaching 60 and plus have a fairly hard time finding a good paying job.......even with a degree. A lot of these people are looking forward to the day they won't have to "fight" the younger generation for jobs. They will just retire or only work part-time.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I agree 100% with maf763.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, do you have an old college degree, still put it on a resume, but do know that things have changed/are changing since getting that degree?
I guess my degree was old, in the way of utilizing technology at least, the day I left campus (I attended a state uni lol), which wasn't that long ago. It matters little. In my field, technology used in industry is light years ahead of what's found in most college chemistry labs. Everybody always has to be trained. It is expected that professionals continue education/training year round for their entire careers.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,586 times
My degree is 14 years old.I have had no trouble finding a job as an accountant.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,991 times
At this point in my career, my degree is nothing more than a check mark. But my progressive experience and responsibilities are what matter most. Each of the software products that I have managed have been cutting edge products and my marketing programs have adapted to the latest trends.

However, as methodologies morph in some industries (accounting, financial, manufacturing, etc.) practices and processes can change dramatically. If you have a 55-year old engineer who is still using a slide rule, you might want to encourage them to update their technological capabilities. Though many swear it's still a strong fallback. People used to laugh when I told them that typing was the most valuable class I ever took in high school . . .

Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Other than SOX, what has really changed in accounting other than maybe some of the software they use?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,008 times
The debate over IFRS, mark to market accounting, etc. IFRS is going to happen eventually, the effects of the change are going to be a huge issue.

The tax code is probably going to get its first major overhaul since 1986, although for an auditor that might not be relevant.

If someone got their CPA, I think they would be fairly safe because they would be up on all the latest developments through meeting their CPE requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment