Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 12:51 AM

44 posts, read 79,364 times

Advertisements

Like most people in the US right now, my family has been going through hard economic times. My dad is working right now but also going to school to get a certificate as a paralegal. My mother is working as an office assistant. We don't know how much longer we will be able to support living in at least Southern California and we are all pretty much ready for a change in location. We have property in Austin, but the job stuff may be a problem. We also were interested in Portland but unemployment is up there and cost of living is high. So basically, is there anywhere that may possibly be for us? A good source of Paralegal careers, affordable rent or housing for three at least near downtown, etc. I was thinking possibly NorCal, Chicago, Philadelphia, and NYC would all be great for paralegal jobs but the cost of living is all relatively high in these areas, unless I'm wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 03:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
He is going to have a very difficult time getting a paralegal position without having experience, ie an internship. I can't speak for other areas, but around here paralegals are a dime a dozen and a certified paralegal with a BA and 5-10 years experience is making $40K. Keep in mind that there is a difference between having a paralegal certificate and being a certified paralegal.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
The big better paying law firms are laying off right and left - attorneys and staff. The solo attorneys are hiring a bit, but they only pay $10/hr and have no benefits and, in Texas, often require Spanish.

I think paralegal is a dying profession.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:12 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,865,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
The big better paying law firms are laying off right and left - attorneys and staff. The solo attorneys are hiring a bit, but they only pay $10/hr and have no benefits and, in Texas, often require Spanish.

This is sad but true. I was not paid as well as others I knew in the same industry and no benefits working for a solo atty. I am considering going back to school for a career change. I know that several yrs ago, there was a pretty high demand for paralegals but not so much these days.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:36 PM

114 posts, read 340,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I agree. what are we going to do? I've been pondering this for a couple years. I am very lucky and make a great salary, but the direction the profession is taking and the amount of burn out I have are heading me straight for disaster if I don't come up with something soon. what other areas can we look to? I'd love to work from home proofing depo transcripts or something like that...

Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM

If you've got experience with real estate, look at working for a title company as a searcher or closing agent.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 PM

114 posts, read 340,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you've got experience with real estate, look at working for a title company as a searcher or closing agent.
I don't have any real estate experience. I've been a paralegal for 8 years (in legal field for 13 years total) and I've been a litigation/product liability/mass tort/trial paralegal the entire time. I've often asked my firm to cross-train paralegals to help curb burn out and also get the most out of us, but it hasn't happened.

real estate law doesn't really interest me at all. I really want to apply my experience in a unique way...not sure what way. that's the problem. lol.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
Quote:
I was a title examiner until the big layoff, here in GA as around most areas there is NO work in this field. A friend of mine who's a lawyer was just telling me today that more and more law firms that specilized in RE will be closing their doors. I'm sure it's similar for states that use title companies to close. My lawyer friend is doing foreclosure work and that's the only reason he's still got work and he has become a one person operation, he does the title work, cries the foreclosure on the court house steps and does all the related paper work unfortunatly in most states a lawyer has to certify to title and paralegals are left out in the cold.

I would suggest another field than real estate.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM

Around here the real estate market is picking up. Another house just sold in my neighborhood, this one for $659K. The inventory in central Florida area is down to four months, a far cry from the 18 months supply we had a year ago. A couple Realtors I know have told me they are busy, busy, busy, and it has nothing to do with foreclosures.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
To the OP, the only relatively low cost of living is in Philadelphia. Dunno about the job market, but housing is relatively cheap, given its position between high-priced D.C., suburban Jersey, and NYC. Philly is big and has a big metro area. If you avoid the beat-up urban neighborhoods (they are fairly apparent on sight) you can still live decently for modest bucks.
Best wishes. It's hard everywhere for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment