Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:05 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, age discrimination IS out there......think that is pretty much fact. Just how many 55 and older people out there are getting jobs today? When was the last time you were introduced to a new employee that was 60 years old (or appeared that old)? What I'm wondering about is the heavy-to-obese people....how do they get a job in this "health and fitness" crazed society? Wife and I don't have a big weight problem, but we don't look like we are in our 30's and "fit" either! We are, in fact, 60 and 61 and a little "plump", but not heavy. Do we get discriminated against for age/looks at an interview....
I'd say YES, no doubt about it!
I hear what you're saying, but again, I myself am just what I said earlier~ an overweight, average-looking, 53 year old female. I have changed jobs (for various reasons) 3 times in the last 5 years and have done so with not a whole lot of difficulty. I'm sure there are a lot of factors here such as the economy, area of the country, type of job you are looking for etc. I had my current job before the economy crashed. Also, certain types of employment are probably very difficult to find after age 55. We recently had a friend lose his professional type job and I think he was out of work about 9 months. (He is 55, and is nice looking IMO. But make no mistake, he does look 55.) However, he DID eventually find something comparable.

I'm sure I probably indeed have been discriminated against based on my age and looks if what they wanted was someone young and cute. But I think based on my experience and education, I have still been able to find employment.

And yeah, it is kind of amazing. Because I know what you mean about our society being health/appearance "crazed." But I just try to say all this to encourage people that not ALL companies and not ALL hiring managers discriminate. Just keep plugging till you find someone who doesn't and use what assets you have and shine, shine, shine!

And one thing I think I've said before that I do think can make a HUGE difference at any age~grooming and how you dress for an interview.

Last edited by kaykay; 07-13-2009 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:16 PM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
Actually, the "how you dress" issue is sometimes very surprising! Whenever wife/I go on an interview, we are nicely dressed and carry a portfolio type holder with us. The "how you dress" thing is not with her as she applies for Accounting/Office type positions, but for ME......I remember once going for a warehouse position interview and the interviewer wanted to remind me that I wouldn't be wearing "dressy" type clothes on the job. I had another interviewer look at me like he was going to say, "you know this isn't a $70K job, don't you?". Gee, I was starting to wonder if I should show up at an interview wearing a t-shirt, shorts and thongs!!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, the "how you dress" issue is sometimes very surprising! Whenever wife/I go on an interview, we are nicely dressed and carry a portfolio type holder with us. The "how you dress" thing is not with her as she applies for Accounting/Office type positions, but for ME......I remember once going for a warehouse position interview and the interviewer wanted to remind me that I wouldn't be wearing "dressy" type clothes on the job. I had another interviewer look at me like he was going to say, "you know this isn't a $70K job, don't you?". Gee, I was starting to wonder if I should show up at an interview wearing a t-shirt, shorts and thongs!!
Yeah, it can be tricky to be sure I guess. In my part of the country, women can get away with wearing slacks or a pantsuit to an interview now, but for most clerical/professional jobs, she would be expected to turn up fairly nicely dressed in either a dress/skirt or nice pants/pantsuit. I guess for men it can be even trickier, but again around here, a full suit or sport jacket/dress shirt and tie would be expected for pretty much any type of professional position or anything pretty much that wasn't physical/manual labor.

But even more than the dressy/casual issue, I think some job candidates shoot themselves in the foot by their lack of grooming, style of clothing etc. if you know what I mean.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I have seen the most unprofessional dress since moving from NY to VT...I can't believe how people who deal with CLIENTS wear thongs...hello, how unprofessional...

I've already told my story about how I went to an interview for a teaching aide job and I was in a nice dress and the woman after was in a t-shirt and shorts or jeans...

Even if the job is relaxed you SHOULD show courtesy and show up nicely dressed for the interview...that is how I was always taught.

I swear the next interview I am going to dress down...!!

Regarding age...if more people are retiring at an older age, where are these people working, then, if you have to be young and cute to get a job???

Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In my experience as a recruiter I find it very rare that a younger manager will ever hire anyone ten or more years older than them. Most younger managers have very little respect for the older worker. If you show up at an interview and your potential manager is younger than you, it is unlikely he or she will hire you. Your best chance as a older worker is an interview with an older manager.
Most of the people I hire for projects are between 5-15 years older than me. For me to look good, my projects have to be very successful--and hiring someone with lots of experience means fewer management tasks for me. If I can get someone with more experience for a simliar price (or just a little higher) than someone with less experience, I'm going for more. I don't care how old they are.

Plus, if someone were to not work out on a project (fortunately, this hasn't happened yet), it's easier for me to justify to my boss why I hired the person with umpteen years experience and a Masters degree over the younger newbie.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM

943 posts, read 3,161,454 times
Default Most young people do not believe years of experience mean competence

If experience meant competence to the typical person, John McCain would be President of the United States of America. Many people prefer to hire a fast learning young person for a manager job than than a senior person with 20 years of experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
Most of the people I hire for projects are between 5-15 years older than me. For me to look good, my projects have to be very successful--and hiring someone with lots of experience means fewer management tasks for me. If I can get someone with more experience for a similar price (or just a little higher) than someone with less experience, I'm going for more. I don't care how old they are.

Plus, if someone were to not work out on a project (fortunately, this hasn't happened yet), it's easier for me to justify to my boss why I hired the person with umpteen years experience and a Masters degree over the younger newbie.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
It's usually because of MONEY and not AGE. Older workers tend to have families and years of experience that we need to be compensated for. You can't expect someone with 20 years experience to be able to afford the same money as someone with 2 years experience even if it is the same job.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It's usually because of MONEY and not AGE. Older workers tend to have families and years of experience that we need to be compensated for. You can't expect someone with 20 years experience to be able to afford the same money as someone with 2 years experience even if it is the same job.
Sure you can. An employers doesn't give a rats @ss what your monthly bills are, that's not nor should it be his problem. You are worth what you are worth, and if you think you're worth more just because you've got bills, you really need a reality check.

My current job I could have done with five years experience, I happen to have 20 years experience in it. I don't expect to be compensated for 15 years that just don't matter to my employer, I expect to be compensated what I am worth for the job I do.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Sure you can. An employers doesn't give a rats @ss what your monthly bills are, that's not nor should it be his problem. You are worth what you are worth, and if you think you're worth more just because you've got bills, you really need a reality check.

My current job I could have done with five years experience, I happen to have 20 years experience in it. I don't expect to be compensated for 15 years that just don't matter to my employer, I expect to be compensated what I am worth for the job I do.
Yeah, sometimes people are expecting to be fully compensated for their experience/education, whatever. However, especially, in today's economy, many are having to accept much less than what that is worth in cases where the job doesn't require it. It's just reality for many if they want to work at all. Actually, this was true even before the economic crisis hit.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yeah, sometimes people are expecting to be fully compensated for their experience/education, whatever. However, especially, in today's economy, many are having to accept much less than what that is worth in cases where the job doesn't require it. It's just reality for many if they want to work at all. Actually, this was true even before the economic crisis hit.
My point is that in many careers, once you've done the job for five years you've either got it down or you never will. And adding another 10-15-20-or more years experience isn't going to make you any more qualified as someone with five years experience, therefore you just aren't "worth" any more to the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment