Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,533,163 times

Advertisements

I am in a pickle now without a job recently... because I am trying to switch career fields. I was taking some prerequisite classes for an MPA and wanting to get into public policy, but having a hard time paying the bills, and looks like it will take longer than I thought.

I am wondering what people do that are very skilled in one arena, but their job isn't their life at all.

Should I just stick it out in IT? I know it pays well and is portable to virtually any big city, where public policy...not so much, mostly nyc/dc... but the job isn't really fulfilling to me and not very interested in it. More interested in public policy, international relations, political philosophy, helping out people through humanitarian efforts. I have worked volunteer for these things on the side, but finding the transition for an ACTUAL job in the field quite hard.

I have 7 years working in IT right now...

I haven't had a *good* paying job in over a year... and really miss the money.

Is working corp IT that bad??? Should I switch? Should I stay? How hard is a career change really...

I will be 29 by the end of the year and looking at 31-32 before I could finish a part time MPA. worth it? not worth it...

I could always just climb the corp IT ladder and maybe do an MBA down the road... get some certs, yada yada...maybe a better ROI.. not so much fulfilling, but are you really ever "your job"? I know some people are, but they usually don't make that much.

UGHHHH just looking for some advice. I am in the Bay Area now...so the lure of the tech job is becoming more enticing, and maybe have to take it for the $.

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,627 times
Wow. You sound like me.

I re-enrolled in college and I'm 4 classes short of graduating with honors, political science.

I'm 33 years old and looking for an internship with local government. (And I have over 10 years IT experience...and I can't take anymore).

You only live once...

Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I am in a pickle now without a job recently... because I am trying to switch career fields. I was taking some prerequisite classes for an MPA and wanting to get into public policy, but having a hard time paying the bills, and looks like it will take longer than I thought.

I am wondering what people do that are very skilled in one arena, but their job isn't their life at all.

Should I just stick it out in IT? I know it pays well and is portable to virtually any big city, where public policy...not so much, mostly nyc/dc... but the job isn't really fulfilling to me and not very interested in it. More interested in public policy, international relations, political philosophy, helping out people through humanitarian efforts. I have worked volunteer for these things on the side, but finding the transition for an ACTUAL job in the field quite hard.

I have 7 years working in IT right now...

I haven't had a *good* paying job in over a year... and really miss the money.

Is working corp IT that bad??? Should I switch? Should I stay? How hard is a career change really...

I will be 29 by the end of the year and looking at 31-32 before I could finish a part time MPA. worth it? not worth it...

I could always just climb the corp IT ladder and maybe do an MBA down the road... get some certs, yada yada...maybe a better ROI.. not so much fulfilling, but are you really ever "your job"? I know some people are, but they usually don't make that much.

UGHHHH just looking for some advice. I am in the Bay Area now...so the lure of the tech job is becoming more enticing, and maybe have to take it for the $.

/rant

If you are unhappy with it, then by all means change jobs. Personally, I have a corporate IT job, but my pesonality is such that I always found that kind of job exciting. If climbing the corporate ladder doesn't do it for you, then get out. Have you considered doing IT work for smaller companies, or non-profits? That might be a good place to start looking just to bring in a paycheck until you can finish the MPA.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,649,066 times
I work in IT as well. It pays well, allows me a lot of free time, and in this economy is still in demand depending on where you go. But it's also not the kind of work that makes me exciting to get up every morning. At times, it can be downright boring. But unlike a lot of people who work in IT, I haven't burned out and have been careful to avoid jobs that would cause me to do so. I know people say to pursue your passions, but why does your career have to be something you're passionate about? People have passions outside of work. I worked with one guy who was in a band. That was his passion. He'd do shows and make a modest amount of money, but not enough to pay his bills. He never struck me as someone who loved working in IT. But it enabled him to pursue his real passion, music. In our culture, too many of us define ourselves by our jobs. I choose not to do that. So before you walk away from IT, remind yourself that whatever job you do, whether it's in IT or public health, it's still just a job. Find what you're really passionate about and that'll change the way you look at IT. Maybe you can be like my ex-coworker and see IT as the thing that allows you to pursue your real passion.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Wow. You sound like me.

I re-enrolled in college and I'm 4 classes short of graduating with honors, political science.

I'm 33 years old and looking for an internship with local government. (And I have over 10 years IT experience...and I can't take anymore).

You only live once...
funny, I just took 4 classes in the poli sci dept as pre req in the spring... was on the president's list even though a transient. That is how I feel about IT, though, it does pay the bills and has let me do some things I wouldn't allow to do otherwise, maybe I just need to get a "higher up" job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you are unhappy with it, then by all means change jobs. Personally, I have a corporate IT job, but my pesonality is such that I always found that kind of job exciting. If climbing the corporate ladder doesn't do it for you, then get out. Have you considered doing IT work for smaller companies, or non-profits? That might be a good place to start looking just to bring in a paycheck until you can finish the MPA.
Yeah I am looking but don't really want to commit to a full time... I have been doing contract work for the past year, but it seems to be fading. Might have to take a full time job, but don't really want to if I am going to quit...arg. Another thing, even if I get the MPA... no guarantee there is a job there being that I am a late comer to the field and salaries generally pay less at mid level ... I might be making less than I made when I was 24 :/ ...Sometimes I think I should make the $, then do better things with it.Or find a company that will let me just monitor their systems for instance... then do my personal stuff in down times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I work in IT as well. It pays well, allows me a lot of free time, and in this economy is still in demand depending on where you go. But it's also not the kind of work that makes me exciting to get up every morning. At times, it can be downright boring. But unlike a lot of people who work in IT, I haven't burned out and have been careful to avoid jobs that would cause me to do so. I know people say to pursue your passions, but why does your career have to be something you're passionate about? People have passions outside of work. I worked with one guy who was in a band. That was his passion. He'd do shows and make a modest amount of money, but not enough to pay his bills. He never struck me as someone who loved working in IT. But it enabled him to pursue his real passion, music. In our culture, too many of us define ourselves by our jobs. I choose not to do that. So before you walk away from IT, remind yourself that whatever job you do, whether it's in IT or public health, it's still just a job. Find what you're really passionate about and that'll change the way you look at IT. Maybe you can be like my ex-coworker and see IT as the thing that allows you to pursue your real passion.
Yeah it does pay well, the boredom and monotony is what bugs me... I am not sure if there are any "non boring" jobs that pay well in IT... perhaps.
I have been advised similarly just to stay at it, and do your passions on the side... i.e. Albert Einstein did much of his theoretical work as a file clerk I believe... same with many philosophers. So I suppose having other pursuits can be juggled.
Right now I'm still in the middle, either taking out loans and doing part time as the grad level stuff is more demanding (currently I have no debt) or staying in IT... arg. Going to have to make a decision soon. Still researching and getting other peoples opinions.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 674,074 times
What type of "IT"?

This is such a generic term it's almost meaningless. Are you fixing computers in a small shop or are you working on artificial intelligence software?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
What type of "IT"?

This is such a generic term it's almost meaningless. Are you fixing computers in a small shop or are you working on artificial intelligence software?
Database and Network Administration for the most part, in the corporate arena, 2 insurance co's and a bank.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
I would actually suggest working for a large corporation. My company pays 90% of grad school if I go at night. I am studying for the GMATs now and plan on starting a night program in the fall of 2010. I am still young (23) and definately don't want to be in IT for the rest of my life. I figure I can use my current employer to get an MBA to help ease the transition out of IT.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,627 times
I'm on the verge of graduating with honors... (undergrad in my early 30s)

If can figure out how to afford it I'm considering an MPA or M. Urban Planning

Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I'm on the verge of graduating with honors... (undergrad in my early 30s)

If can figure out how to afford it I'm considering an MPA or M. Urban Planning
yeah money is always an issue..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment