Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,198,960 times

Advertisements

I work with a guy that comes in at 8am for his shift.......One day he's cool and the next "he's not in the mood"....as he say's it.

Why do folks show up to work and say this. I've heard other people say this before.

Are we supposed to walk on egg shells around him or something?

No, I am not upset. I just find it weird that folks bring their personal "moods" to work.

Open for discussion, chime in...

Last edited by Ron.; 07-13-2009 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM

65 posts, read 160,105 times
Not in the mood for work?

Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 AM

145 posts, read 610,261 times
I think that is a definite sign of his immaturity.

When I was in 7th grade a girl in my class would come to school and say "I'm in a bad mood." I thought WTH?? does that mean??? I just never heard this before this girl. Seriously. Never even thought of "moods."

Your story about this guy.. reminds me of a 7th grade girl and her "moods."

On the other hand, is he fighting depression? Many men have depression that goes undiagnosed.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,087,868 times
Sounds like he never grew up emotionally and has issues.
So many people are raised being pacified by their parents & families.
When they get in the real world, they cannot function. They think the world has to deal with their pissy moods or if they are happy, and you aren't, there is something wrong with you.

Companies should weed out these people. Keep your drama HOME!!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,746 times
Does he take out his bad mood on the coworkers or anyone? Is it a service job?

I'm just wondering b/c when I worked as a waitress in college, we would sometimes comment things like "I'm not in the mood to deal with jerks today" or something like that, but we would not actually be rude to anyone. It was just a way to blow off steam when working in a job where some people treat you like dirt on the bottom of their shoe. We would say it as more of a joke than a warning.

I agree it is unprofessional if he were to come in and say "I'm in a bad mood today so stay away from me" or something similar.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,333,846 times
Like the head of the parole board said about a violent offender that was being paroled, "As long as everything goes his way, he should be fine!"

Old 07-13-2009, 12:54 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,198,960 times
He gets smart with the clients and shoves them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Does he take out his bad mood on the coworkers or anyone? Is it a service job?

I'm just wondering b/c when I worked as a waitress in college, we would sometimes comment things like "I'm not in the mood to deal with jerks today" or something like that, but we would not actually be rude to anyone. It was just a way to blow off steam when working in a job where some people treat you like dirt on the bottom of their shoe. We would say it as more of a joke than a warning.

I agree it is unprofessional if he were to come in and say "I'm in a bad mood today so stay away from me" or something similar.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
yes the worms that come out of the woodwork with steady employment --- games people play
for him, it works at home but not in the office. its the same when you run into somebody that throws tantrums. coping mechanisms learned that no longer work. he needs to grow.
your role is to be aware see it as not your stuff and use your constant steady long term employment to enhance your people skills so that each game does not seem like a first to you. mentors are wonderful in learning to deal with these office games. the good news as your office game gets better so will your personal game.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
He gets smart with the clients and shoves them off.
That sounds unprofessional. Sounds like its not just complaining at the coffee pot/water cooler, but actually being nasty to people and shirking duties.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,078,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I work with a guy that comes in at 8am for his shift.......One day he's cool and the next "he's not in the mood"....as he say's it.

Why do folks show up to work and say this. I've heard other people say this before.

Are we supposed to walk on egg shells around him or something?

No, I am not upset. I just find it weird that folks bring their personal "moods" to work.

Open for discussion, chime in...

I'm guilty of doing that at past jobs, like if I had a bad date over the weekend or was stood up you defintely didn't want to be around me on a monday morning-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment