Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times

Advertisements

As a Human Resources Professional I am spending more and more time in the area of employee relations. At most large companies, including the one I work for, managers need to get the assistance and approval of Human Resources before they can formally discipline, write up, suspend or terminate an employee for poor performance.

Many managers are quite angry at about this requirement because they feel it should be there right to discipline or terminate an employee as they feel fit. Managers discretion. That is until a manager in the company was sued by a previous employee he hassled, bullied and eventually terminated without using a due process. He then screamed to HR to do something!

Anyway, I usually find that a bad manager can make even the best employee look like a blooming idiot if they have a way with words. They work the system and make small mistakes seem giagantic, and questions of discretion and judgement seem like a major mess up. Face it, we all go about our jobs differently. How we approach an issue or problem varies and what seems like a logical approach to one person is crazy to another.

So why even have a process of progressive discipline? Just let the managers do what they want. Don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Bored with your thread in Fashion about white collar/blue collar?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
It's called checks and balances, and it makes perfect sense. More so than you do anyhow.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Sort of like what Hilter did to the German nation and people.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
As a Human Resources Professional I am spending more and more time in the area of employee relations. At most large companies, including the one I work for, managers need to get the assistance and approval of Human Resources before they can formally discipline, write up, suspend or terminate an employee for poor performance.

Many managers are quite angry at about this requirement because they feel it should be there right to discipline or terminate an employee as they feel fit. Managers discretion. That is until a manager in the company was sued by a previous employee he hassled, bullied and eventually terminated without using a due process. He then screamed to HR to do something!

Anyway, I usually find that a bad manager can make even the best employee look like a blooming idiot if they have a way with words. They work the system and make small mistakes seem giagantic, and questions of discretion and judgement seem like a major mess up. Face it, we all go about our jobs differently. How we approach an issue or problem varies and what seems like a logical approach to one person is crazy to another.

So why even have a process of progressive discipline? Just let the managers do what they want. Don't you think?
Progressive discipline offers an opportunity for an employee to make improvements. Sounds like these managers need a good dose of it themselves. Not having this policy in place would be a free-for-all for managers to fire at whim, opening the door to additional lawsuits.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Default Office Politics?

Many employees are written up or given an oral warning by inept managers who do not like their personality. A devious manager can make nearly everyone look bad because they can make small mistakes seem gigantic and make questions of discretion seem like a terrible mistake.

We had a manager attempt to make a good employee look bad and almost fired them right after the supervisor found out the employee had an abortion. (Which the supervisor was very much against) The employee survived when the manager left during the process to accept another job and the employee has prospered under the new supervisor.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM

I've got my hip waders on.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hahahahahahaha!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So, there are no bad bosses who attempt to fire good employees because they are different politically or have a personality mismatch?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM

It's getting deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment