Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM

943 posts, read 3,334,175 times

Advertisements

Does anyone work in Accounts Payable/Recievable field? What type of experience is needed for this position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
Depends on who you work for. I know someone who started with NO experience. Soon after she was running A/P and went from 10 bucks to around 20 within 2 years.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM

943 posts, read 3,334,175 times
So the average salary is between 35-40K?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:46 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
Actually, I would say average could be 25-35, maybe 40k. MOst places I've seen for entry level accounting was min 2 years experience, a 2 year degree or 4 year degree and some knowledge of accounting software from your min 2 years ex.

I never understood entry level jobs...always wanting experience. =/

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
Does anyone work in Accounts Payable/Recievable field? What type of experience is needed for this position?
It really depends on what they expect from you.
Some A/P positions you have to deal with tax reporting, end of year procedures, blah blah blah....then the others that are mainly data entry and the accountants do the rest.

To get started you really don't need much.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
My wife found out years ago that "to go up the ladder of sucess in Accounting", it takes a college degree. She got her Bachelor's in Business/Accounting in 1997 when she was 49 yrs old. Right now she is a Sr. Financial Analyst making 64K a year. One thing to remember about working in Accounting, some companies do a monthly thing called "End-of-Month Close" that can turn into some 10 plus hour days. Other than that, a lot of companies today want a Bachelors Degree or even a CPA in order to even get an interview! The accountants (AR/AP) where I worked did not have Degrees (I asked), but where my wife worked a Bachelor's Degree was mandatory.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,719 times
anyone in the accounting field have any advice on how to break into the accounting/bookkeeping area in this economy?

I have some experience, but from a long time ago. right now, every job, even for an A/P person, is asking for 5 yrs experience.

I am going back for my BA in Accounting, but thats not much help at the moment...

Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
My wife has a Bachelor's in Business w/emphasis on Accounting and has worked as both a Staff Accountant and Senior Financial Anyalyst. She got her degree in 1997 and, up until now (here in Florida) hasn't really ever had a problem getting a nice paying accounting job. Thing is, many companies today not only want that degree and experience, but also want the applicant to be a CPA!
Good Luck

Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
At my last job we had:

Accounting clerks (lots of data entry, filing, etc. and could have been done by anyone with a basic high school education.) Required education/experience: HS Diploma and two years office experience or AA in business/bookkeeping/accounting

Accounting Clerk II: Some data entry, some billing, deposit reconciliations (This job was a "bookkeeping" job) Required education/experience: AA in business/bookkeeping/accounting, 2 years experience as a bookkeeper

Accountant: Took care of most of the billing/payables and some tax related items Required education/experience: BS in accounting

CPA/Sr. Accountant: Handled payroll, tax related items, inventory valuation, month end reports, and a few other things Required education/experience: MBA and CPA with five years experience as an accountant

CFO: Handled finance (company line of credit, taxes, very high level accounting) Required education/experience: MBA and CPA 10+ years as a CPA and senior accountant with finance experience

That's probably pretty indicative of most companies these days.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:59 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
At my last job we had:

Accounting clerks (lots of data entry, filing, etc. and could have been done by anyone with a basic high school education.) Required education/experience: HS Diploma and two years office experience or AA in business/bookkeeping/accounting

Accounting Clerk II: Some data entry, some billing, deposit reconciliations (This job was a "bookkeeping" job) Required education/experience: AA in business/bookkeeping/accounting, 2 years experience as a bookkeeper

Accountant: Took care of most of the billing/payables and some tax related items Required education/experience: BS in accounting

CPA/Sr. Accountant: Handled payroll, tax related items, inventory valuation, month end reports, and a few other things Required education/experience: MBA and CPA with five years experience as an accountant

CFO: Handled finance (company line of credit, taxes, very high level accounting) Required education/experience: MBA and CPA 10+ years as a CPA and senior accountant with finance experience

That's probably pretty indicative of most companies these days.
Prob so

Just having a hard time finding the lower ones open or without crazy requirements (like an A/P clerk needing 5yrs and an accounting degree!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment