Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 AM

332 posts, read 1,432,097 times

Advertisements

Ok, totally not joking. I love what I do (clinical social worker) but I think I chose it only because it's easy for me. I come from a VERY f'd up family so it's basically like my work is an extension of my life. My family role was the mediator, crisis counselor, teacher, etc... I don't want to do that for another 30 years.

So, I want a new career. I've NEVER been anything except a social worker and a teacher. I love both and would love to incorporate both into something new but it's not necessary. In fact, I think I'd love a job that's just a job. Teaching and social workering aren't just jobs, they are emotional drains where you experience every range of every emotion within a single workday.

Since I'm older now, 30, I know more what I want out of life... and honestly, I want money. Being a social worker and a teacher will do that to you... I want a lot of money... I'm talking minimum 50k/year. (That's a lot for me, don't hate....) More would be better... ideally, 62k to live my ideal lifestyle (yes, I did the math)... but 50k is more than I make now and adequate depending on most factors.

Any suggestions? My mind is wide open... I've NEVER done this before and it's sort of exciting. My talents are... hmm, I'm not going to be a rock star, an artist, no desire to be famous, I'm decent at design stuff but not fashion really, more graphic design/interior design, I LOVE creating as much as I love working with people!!!

Thanks in advance, I'm 100% serious with this... I'm not in a great job situation right now and am getting ready to relocate... so this is as good of a time as any....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,247,844 times
Well, one of my friends who is a social worker is currently in law school, don't know if that interests you at all.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Well, one of my friends who is a social worker is currently in law school, don't know if that interests you at all.
Ironically, I JUST got off of a law school discussion website. The idea absolutely intrigues me... but I have a secret and I wouldn't want to disclose it to the bar association following law school.

I attended a college for one year that I never reported again... it wasn't over grades, it was over money. I lost all of my scholarships after 8 months of class because my parents chose not to participate in submitting their tax papers for verification. It was a miserable and humiliating experience. Spent a year trying to recover and even consulted multiple lawyers... all of whom said my only option was to lie or pay back $20k. I chose to lie and try to move on and thankfully, was able to use one of the lawyers to work with financial aid office to get me declared independent with regards to the FAFSA process.

The Bar app stuff says you must disclose those incidents and I'm afraid if I did... I'd risk all of my degrees thus far. It makes me sick to think about it and I'm not proud of it... but I feel like I did what I had to do at the time. Thanks though, law does seem like a good fit!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times
Right now, social work and teaching are 2 areas that are doing well in this dismal economy. You are in the catbird seat while so many others would like to be in your shoes. It's more than just rough out there.

If I was in your position I would get a job in my field and get settled in your new city. Then you would be able to scope out the job market, make sure your new place is right for you, and see what else is out there that you would like to do. Let's face it, fun jobs don't usually pay. Darn it! You may want to consider getting your MSW to make more money. It could be your new employer would pay for it.

If you are changing jobs, remember you will be at the bottom of the totem pole for awhile and vulnerable. Save as much as you can for the proverbial rainy day. If it never comes, it doesn't hurt to have the money. Especially when you are contemplating major changes.

Do what you love. Just be careful and in not too much of a hurry.....

Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Right now, social work and teaching are 2 areas that are doing well in this dismal economy. You are in the catbird seat while so many others would like to be in your shoes. It's more than just rough out there.

If I was in your position I would get a job in my field and get settled in your new city. Then you would be able to scope out the job market, make sure your new place is right for you, and see what else is out there that you would like to do. Let's face it, fun jobs don't usually pay. Darn it! You may want to consider getting your MSW to make more money. It could be your new employer would pay for it.

If you are changing jobs, remember you will be at the bottom of the totem pole for awhile and vulnerable. Save as much as you can for the proverbial rainy day. If it never comes, it doesn't hurt to have the money. Especially when you are contemplating major changes.

Thank you, especially for the hurry comment... I tend to get overall excited and it helps to be reminded to slow down. Especially in something so important... Also, thanks for the reminder to save, my gears are already turning about affordability of returning to school, etc.

As for the job market for social workers/teachers, sadly, in my state, they are hard hit. I know a handful of teachers who lost jobs (music, art, and elementary) and MANY (almost all, including principals) who got shifted around. As for social workers, there are just WAY too many of us for the number of jobs available. It sucks because the first place I turned when I started looking for a change was back to the school districts. I've checked them on/off for the last year.

I could go get an MAT, though, and try licensure that way in a different area. That's one idea I hadn't considered...

So, I guess I just saw this as being an opportunity where I'll struggle regardless of the road. Ha. I did earn my MSW and even have my clinical license but the clients in this state are HIGH, HIGH, HIGH percentage Medicaid or indigent. Indigent care funding is frozen (has been on/off for over a year and I don't have the experience/client base to be completely independent only doing straight clinical. I have a side business that supports me but it's in the same genre and honestly, I don't know how much longer it will hold on given the fact that people simply can't afford non-essential services. Bleh.

Thank you for your post. It'll be great to come back and re-read as I keep on with this change process.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Thank you, especially for the hurry comment... I tend to get overall excited and it helps to be reminded to slow down. Especially in something so important... Also, thanks for the reminder to save, my gears are already turning about affordability of returning to school, etc.

As for the job market for social workers/teachers, sadly, in my state, they are hard hit. I know a handful of teachers who lost jobs (music, art, and elementary) and MANY (almost all, including principals) who got shifted around. As for social workers, there are just WAY too many of us for the number of jobs available. It sucks because the first place I turned when I started looking for a change was back to the school districts. I've checked them on/off for the last year.

I could go get an MAT, though, and try licensure that way in a different area. That's one idea I hadn't considered...

So, I guess I just saw this as being an opportunity where I'll struggle regardless of the road. Ha. I did earn my MSW and even have my clinical license but the clients in this state are HIGH, HIGH, HIGH percentage Medicaid or indigent. Indigent care funding is frozen (has been on/off for over a year and I don't have the experience/client base to be completely independent only doing straight clinical. I have a side business that supports me but it's in the same genre and honestly, I don't know how much longer it will hold on given the fact that people simply can't afford non-essential services. Bleh.

Thank you for your post. It'll be great to come back and re-read as I keep on with this change process.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,585,025 times
Pharmacist

Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,261,552 times
Doctor....

There is already to many attorneys in this country...

Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 AM

18,740 posts, read 33,455,962 times
I work in mental health (alleged mental health!) and am also from a, uh, not-great family background. I asked myself, how did I end up at age 28, taking care of unreasonably needy people and crazy people, when I lucked into a news copyediting job years before going back to school?
Amazing how those scripts play out.
I personally can't think of any jobs, especially well-paid ones, that you can just move into, especially in this economy. With the MSW, is there a chance of management with the state apparatus? At least you wouldn't be dealing directly with clients. I assume you have no interest or licensing to be a private therapist (so many around, no money for them).
I also had the experience of parent refusing to put in financial aid paperwork- this was for beginning college. My mother talked to my guidance counselor and that good man got me some aid at his alma mater. I went for two years and hated the city, the school, and school in general.
If you are willing and able to return to school, that's a whole 'nother picture. And by the way, law schools are cranking out people by the huge pile who aren't getting jobs- all those people who can't do math and want to make a good living "go to law school!"
I think the pharmacist idea is excellent if you can do the chemistry/math and have the wherewithal to go back to school.
I agree with the poster who suggested you get a job in your usual realm to relocate and then think about it.
There really aren't too many good career-changing options in the current environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment