Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:03 PM

927 posts, read 885,947 times

Advertisements

I got an interview with a company. They said they had 173 applicants for the position and I was one of the top 15. Great. I had a phone interview, did a solid job. I wanted to ensure that I made the second round of 4-6. Reiterated my interest throughout the interview, said "this is the job I want, I want to be in the second round".

I did research on the company. I wrote 6 pages, of detailed information about the company. I researched expenditures, wrote about what I would do from day 1 in the position, analyzed the company, created work samples to show my problem solving skills.

I wrote thank you notes, contacted those who interviewed me. This is a job that I am "overqualified" for (not an attitude that I brought with me to the interview) - they only want someone with a HS diploma and a year of experience, I have a Bachelor's and 2 years.

Haven't heard back. It's the same old story. This is the 4th time this has happened. I just don't get it. These are for 25-30k/year positions.

I graduated from school 9 months ago and have yet to find something permanent. My resume isn't bad - if I'm getting these interviews and people are showing interest then I am doing something right. I was hired part-time, nothing came up in their background search of me. Never even had a speeding/parking ticket. Former employers even wrote recommendations for me.

I'm a month from calling it quits, going back to school in the Winter, and becoming a math teacher (something that has been an interest of mine). At least I know there is a NEED in that field and I can get employment upon graduation.

This economy is horrible unless you want a medical position.

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,493,498 times
My wife and I graduated 6 years ago w/ a 4 year degree. Her past two jobs paid $26k with a raise to $32k and this one is at $26k right now. When she applied for her temp job when we moved there were over 500 applicants, some with masters degrees, just wanting something. The ad was on Craigslist for 3 days. They still get 5-10 a day even though it's been removed, that was almost a year ago...

It's really though out there. Don't feel bad. Although I would caution against going back to school. My sister spent 5 years in college and now has over $100k in debt and is starting a data entry job @ $12/hr in Boston. Not sure how she will even make her loan payment on that...

She has been applying for jobs more her level that pay a more reasonable amount ($40-$50) and can't even get a call back. We've sent her resume to my fathers company's HR department for them to look over "everything looks great, we don't know why she isn't getting calls!" and to her friend's father who is a VP for a medium sized business. She's doing everything right, she has the experience, but companies are literally inundated with applicants.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 PM

968 posts, read 2,620,737 times
wheelsup, you provided a reality that I believe most every frustrated unemployed or underemployed person has/is/will face in this market. This is a moment when one can apply that phrase, "no, its really not you, its ...". How can one compete with a person with an advanced degree for an entry level position?

In the depths of my heart, I don't want fear, frustration, or hardship to further push me away from my desires and goals for my burgeoning career. I truly believe I was meant to work and be successful in a certain field. Now, I feel a strong urge that I will have to create my opportunity rather than it be handed to me with a title and weekly check.

It seems impossible but I don't want to except failure...not this time. I don't anticipate this road to be easy or predictable going forward.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,929,895 times
Yes, this is simply amazing. You turned down a job offer of 22K because you couldn't make the numbers work for you. Sounds like you're making zip now. How is zip better than 22K?

You say you're over qualified but have only been out of school for 9 months. What are you over qualified for, mowing lawns?

You take the first job available and you make it work until you get something better. You might live in a dump and eat mac n cheese for months but you make it work. It's the wrong time to be picky in this economy.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,434,465 times
I echo the stories above. I just graduated with my B.S., I have been applying for months, and I can't even get a call back, much less an interview.

The only callbacks I have gotten were from a company that is on a hiring freeze, two on-call minimum wage jobs, and a MLM scam. I have tried everything: signing up at temp agencies, contacting family and friends with jobs, sending resumes off to "important" people at companies, scouring monster.com and other job boards, pounding the pavement and stopping in places, and even driving to other states to look for work. Nothing.

At this point, I am done searching. I'm focusing on my freelance writing and trusting God to help me make it though.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 PM

18,739 posts, read 33,452,873 times
I thought the OP said he/she had two years of experience, not nine months post-graduating?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,774,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
I got an interview with a company. They said they had 173 applicants for the position and I was one of the top 15. Great. I had a phone interview, did a solid job. I wanted to ensure that I made the second round of 4-6. Reiterated my interest throughout the interview, said "this is the job I want, I want to be in the second round".

I did research on the company. I wrote 6 pages, of detailed information about the company. I researched expenditures, wrote about what I would do from day 1 in the position, analyzed the company, created work samples to show my problem solving skills.

I wrote thank you notes, contacted those who interviewed me. This is a job that I am "overqualified" for (not an attitude that I brought with me to the interview) - they only want someone with a HS diploma and a year of experience, I have a Bachelor's and 2 years.

Haven't heard back. It's the same old story. This is the 4th time this has happened. I just don't get it. These are for 25-30k/year positions.

I graduated from school 9 months ago and have yet to find something permanent. My resume isn't bad - if I'm getting these interviews and people are showing interest then I am doing something right. I was hired part-time, nothing came up in their background search of me. Never even had a speeding/parking ticket. Former employers even wrote recommendations for me.
Maybe you are trying too hard. High school graduates don't go to such lengths as you did. I didn't go to such lengths as you did and I have a bachelor's degree.

If a college degree is not required, don't put it on your resume.

Quote:
I'm a month from calling it quits, going back to school in the Winter, and becoming a math teacher (something that has been an interest of mine). At least I know there is a NEED in that field and I can get employment upon graduation.
not any more

Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 AM

22 posts, read 55,025 times
I'm in the same boat as alot of people on here.

Recent graduate with no responses. I'm in an unpaid internship now.

I wish Obama would help us. They've extended unemployment benefits numerous times, and will do it again. Yet graduates, many whom supported him, get no love. (Which I will remember come election time 2010 and 2012!)

Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,774,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeo View Post
I'm in the same boat as alot of people on here.

Recent graduate with no responses. I'm in an unpaid internship now.

I wish Obama would help us. They've extended unemployment benefits numerous times, and will do it again. Yet graduates, many whom supported him, get no love. (Which I will remember come election time 2010 and 2012!)
What do you want Obama to do? Create a job out of thin air and hand it to you?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 AM

927 posts, read 885,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Yes, this is simply amazing. You turned down a job offer of 22K because you couldn't make the numbers work for you. Sounds like you're making zip now. How is zip better than 22K?

You say you're over qualified but have only been out of school for 9 months. What are you over qualified for, mowing lawns?

You take the first job available and you make it work until you get something better. You might live in a dump and eat mac n cheese for months but you make it work. It's the wrong time to be picky in this economy.
Ahhhhh, a 10 second search and you're all the sudden an expert on my situation?

First off, 22K wasn't 22K. The company advertised 22k, but later told me I'd only be working 9 months of the year. The actual salary was 16,500 annually. I'm not sure that's even above the poverty line, it might be slightly.

Secondly, I would be living in an area where the average rent was about $900/mo. I have $200/mo payments in student loans. I also pay car insurance. With a gross monthly salary of 1375 before taxes (less than 1k after taxes), how do you expect me to live there?

You advise me to "take it and eat Mac N Cheese all day". How am I supposed to afford Mac N Cheese if I don't net a positive number every month after rent? It wouldn't even be equivalent to an unpaid internship, because you'd be in the red every month as opposed to being even.

I make 800/mo part time living at home, paying no rent. After student loans and car payments, I net around $500. Swami, what should I have done, since you know my life better than me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment