Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:43 PM

343 posts, read 604,233 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm curious to hear different opinions on my situation. I had a job interview Friday. The benefits were wonderful: company pays 80% of your health insurance (PPO) you pay 20%; 2 weeks vacation starting January 1st; 5 days personal/sick days, short-term/long-term disability. The bad part: $8/hr. I lost my full-time job in January. That pay rate would equal out to what I get in unemployment each week. It would be a 40+ mile commute each day. So, right now, I get unemployment, work a part-time job that pays minimum $7.25/hr that is 25 minutes one way from my house and sell Avon. I'm no slouch and do want to work but, with my bills (mortgage, etc) and with gas money, I wouldn't have anything left afterward. Granted, I haven't been offered the position but I have to let them know tomorrow (Monday) what I think. Again, the benefits sound great but I don't see how I can feasibly take the job if I was offered it, even if I kept my part-time job and tried other things. Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
I wish I had more time to think about this. For me, the first concern would be the commute. Is it through heavy traffic? How long will it be? How many miles are on your car? Do you have children to pick up, etc.? The next factor is the possibility of a raise. Do you have any idea when, or if, that would be? How stable is the company? I hope these points help a bit when considering your decision. The dealbreaker, for me, would be the commute.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 AM

332 posts, read 1,431,102 times
The last post was very good and I ditto all of that stuff.

I also want you to consider your own potential. You are right, you don't seem like a slouch, so, in that way of thinking, do you realistically think you can find something better within a reasonable amount of time?

If so, are you willing to give yourself a chance to find that position?

You already said, yourself, that it just doesn't seem financially doable to take this position. So, my question for you to consider, why are you thinking about taking it?

Fear of not finding something else? Reality of nothing else available in your area? Guilt over turning down an offer in a time of high unemployment?

I think those things are all important. I know, from personal experience, accepting a job for any reason other than it meets your current needs is a BAD idea.

eg: A few years ago, I took a job making 15k less with a high commute and no benefits (coming from full bene's paid) out of guilt and exhaustion (not wanting to look anywhere else)... it was a BAD decision on all levels. Now, I am realistic with myself about what I need and don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Good luck, I know these things are tricky, trust me, I'm the most easily woo'd applicant on earth. I go in telling myself, ok, I'm just here to learn, and by the end of the interview, I'm always SOLD even before their offer. It's not desperate, I just generally find so many different things interesting and like a challenge... so anything new and different is exciting!! I have to chill out with that or I'm never going to get anywhere in life. Ha.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Look at it this way--if you are paying COBRA you need to factor that cost in to the equation. If you are currently uninsured, you are possibly a kidney stone or slip in the bathtub away from losing your home to medical bills.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Good benefits, hmmm. Disability, short-term and long-term, hmm. Those are terrific benefits. Do you have them now, and health insurance? Is there anywhere to move up in the job and earn more?
If you don't currently have those benefits, I think they're pretty important. Anyone who lives in the world, walks on ice, or drives in traffic needs disability and health insurance, much more so if others are dependent on your income.
Best wishes. It's tough everywhere.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 PM

For those who asked about if I have benefits, I am paying COBRA under the special reduced rate that the stimulus helped out with - the employer pays 65%, you pay 35%. That is good until the end of the year. That is also what I would pay for health insurance at that place. I also currently work as a freelance writer for the local newspaper. I cover monthly meetings and other stories. So, I do the paper, the part-time job (grocery store), Avon and collect unemployment.

I appreciate all of the opinons, but I basically told the company that it wouldn't be feasible for me to work at that rate but if they could even give another $1/hr, it might be doable. They said they are pretty set with that amount. Another thing and I'm not trying to be snotty, but I do have a bachelor's degree. Now, understand I'm not expecting that I'm going to get a $50,000/yr job, but, a bit more to work with would be great. I am making $7.25/hr at the grocery store, to put things into perspective. I do have my resume out at another place and someone else told me about a job that pays $25,000. I could at least work with that amount. Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Good benefits, hmmm. Disability, short-term and long-term, hmm. Those are terrific benefits. Do you have them now, and health insurance? Is there anywhere to move up in the job and earn more?
If you don't currently have those benefits, I think they're pretty important. Anyone who lives in the world, walks on ice, or drives in traffic needs disability and health insurance, much more so if others are dependent on your income.
Best wishes. It's tough everywhere.
Hi. I did answer in another reply that I do have COBRA now, so I do have health insurance. But, no, there really isn't any way to move up in that company and earn more. Also, this is my main income. I'm not married or have anyone else to support. Thanks for the good wishes.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
For those who asked about if I have benefits, I am paying COBRA under the special reduced rate that the stimulus helped out with - the employer pays 65%, you pay 35%. That is good until the end of the year. That is also what I would pay for health insurance at that place. I also currently work as a freelance writer for the local newspaper. I cover monthly meetings and other stories. So, I do the paper, the part-time job (grocery store), Avon and collect unemployment.

I appreciate all of the opinons, but I basically told the company that it wouldn't be feasible for me to work at that rate but if they could even give another $1/hr, it might be doable. They said they are pretty set with that amount. Another thing and I'm not trying to be snotty, but I do have a bachelor's degree. Now, understand I'm not expecting that I'm going to get a $50,000/yr job, but, a bit more to work with would be great. I am making $7.25/hr at the grocery store, to put things into perspective. I do have my resume out at another place and someone else told me about a job that pays $25,000. I could at least work with that amount. Thanks again.

No I wouldn't take it, I made $8.25 an hour when I received unemployment WITHOUT A CAR and it was still rough so I say hold out for something better in pay.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No I wouldn't take it, I made $8.25 an hour when I received unemployment WITHOUT A CAR and it was still rough so I say hold out for something better in pay.
The cost of living in much of NEPA is pretty low--a decent apartment is under $500 a month. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The cost of living in much of NEPA is pretty low--a decent apartment is under $500 a month. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Wel Maybe I need to move to Raspberry, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment