Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times

Advertisements

I just started a new job, which I like, but I don't do long hours anymore unless it's necesary. No, I don't slack, but I believe in a balanced work life. Anyway, I found that many of my peers at this new place regularly put in 10 or 11 hours a day. I give my 9 hours, and go home unless there is any unfinished work to do.

Here is my question. Do any of you out there work in this kind of environment? Do you just leave when the day is over regardless if other people chose to regularly stay late or do you feel the peer pressure to keep up appearances, and stay late despite not having any more work to do? I think it's unproductive to do long hours every day, and it leads to early burnout. I'm one to believe that I will be evaluated as somebody who simply gets the job done, and doesn't just act the part.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Last edited by izannimda; 06-07-2009 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I just started a new job, which I like, but I don't do long hours anymore unless it's necesary. No, I don't slack, but I believe in a balanced work life. Anyway, I found that many of my peers at this new place regularly put in 10 or 11 hours a day. I give my 9 hours, and go home unless there is any unfinished work to do.

Here is my question. Do any of you out there work in this kind of environment? Do you just leave when the day is over regardless if other people chose to regularly stay late or do you feel the peer pressure to keep up appearances, and stay late despite not having any more work to do? I think it's unproductive to do long hours every day and it leads to early burnout. I'm one to believe that I will be evaluated as somebody who simply gets the job done, and doesn't just act the part.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Not if you eat regularly and get a good night sleep-lol

But Since you are NEW and noticed that lot of your other workers are staying late then you do the same so you can fit in with the team. I'm in the same situation, I started 2 weeks ago and noticed that everyone stays well after 5pm and I been doing the same, It would look ODD if you just picked up and left when everyone else is still working. Especially since you are new

Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
I usually work solo at various locations. There is no one else so I do not leave until the job is done. Most days I work 6 to 14 hours. The longest I have gone is 40 hours. If I am at an out location and do not have any flights for the day I usually still put 4 hours in.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
izannimda you spoiled selffish blood-sucking lazy bum, as humans we're made to work hard long hours, our ancestors (the Neandrathals, peasants, Africans and slaves of Roman empire) worked 16 hours a day making ends meet, 2 hours making shelter, and 6 hours trying to sleep amongst rinos and raptors. And they were willing to do even more. Just maintain this hard work when you turn 62 you can retire kick back with a nice pension, get married, have children (or adopt, spermbank) and start your life.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
I think working super long hours is crazy.

When you're on your deathbed & someone asks you "What do you wish you spent more time doing in your life?" Most normal people would say spending time with family & friends, or pets & hobbies. I doubt many people would say "I wish I would have spent more time at work."

Old 06-08-2009, 01:50 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I have no trouble with that at all. I mean in the film industry a 12-hour day is standard. I guess on union shoots they have to pay time and a half for hours 9-12, but that even strikes me as very freakin' weird. Everyone shoots 12 hours, because you can't get anything done in only 8 hours, not when you consider setup and takedown. Non-union you always expect 12-hour days, if you're lucky, more if not. I've done a 24-hour shoot before.

Editing, we usually put in 12 at least, sometimes 16, it depends. I don't know many positions in film where you work 8 hours a day or less. That seems like so little work, it's kind of funny to me.

If you love your job I think it's no big deal. If not, it would suck. Honestly if I have to quit film as a profession and do another career to pay the bills, then I want to be a bare-minimum type of employee, not to sound bad, but I mean I will work hard when I'm there and be responsible as I am a total perfectionist, but when the clock is up I want to go home and work on my passion since that's all I really care about in life -- film.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
It's difficult to keep up with 'long hours' when you are married and have kids. In my case, we worked opposite shifts so when my job ended I had to be home so my husband could go to work. We only have one car and someone needs to be home for our child.

The job/supervisor understood. The problem was my co-workers. However my job position had NOTHING to do with them. My hours did not affect them at all. The 2 who always, always had comments like "leaving now?" sarcastically came in at 9. I started at 7:30/8 am.

Neither of them had children at home.

Point is, why does anyone care 'the hours you do?' especially if your job has nothing to do with another department.

Life is too short. I'm happy to work hard and later when necessary. I was a teacher for years and did a lot of my work at home after hours (unpaid). But I loved it.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Neither of them had children at home.

BINGO!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I'm in the same boat. I work for someone who works 24/7. I get emails from this person 24 hours a day. I am admin/support staff. I'm expected to be there 9-10 hours a day and be tied into work via computer, phone and blackberry at all times. I mentally quit this job a couple of weeks ago. This is no way to live and I have a teenager, too, the only one on the team with a child. There's no hope for change for this position, so I am planning my exit strategy, and in the meantime I am going back to 8 hour days.

What I have found is if it's a 10 work day place, it's not changing.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
At my last job, I was required to put in a bare minimum of 55 hours a week. All time was logged and the district manager routinely checked the video survelience to make sure we weren't leaving early or working less than our 55 hours. On average I was putting in 65-70 hours a week, sometimes working 24 hour shifts. I worked my longest shift ever (31 hours) on Christmas 3 years ago... by myself, because everyone called in 'sick' and since I was the manager I was forced by contract to cover.

4 months after that I was put into the hospital for 9 days by my doctor. I was put on disability and the day after my FMLA leave expired I was unceremoniously fired.

Would I do it again? NEVER. Especially since I was salary and I figured I was making about $9 an hour as a store manager.

If you can manage, work your buns off and leave after 8 hours or less, it just isn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment