Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 268,887 times

Advertisements

I am currently employed as a manager with a heavy equipment dealership, and while I do feel I have a small amount of job security, the jobs is tedioud and can de dull at times. I went to college for a bachelors in Horticulture with delusions of making a good living in the Landscaping and Nursery Industry. Now that I am older and realize more what I would consider a good living, I realize I made a mistake and need to get my professional life going. I gre up in Tennessee, and up until now always thought $30,000 was a great living. My wife earns a good salary (Pediatrician), and we have no kids, so I feel this is the time to make a change. I want to go back to school, for some type of trade. I never really enjoyed college and found it to be a waste of time and money, even when I did landscaping, I rarely ever used anything I learned in school. I want to enter a skilled trade, either through a trade school or a union, where there is job security, and the potential for a decent wage. Since I have ruled out going for a masters, or another 4 year degree, what are some in demand fields that a 32 year old man can enter and gain success with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,406,268 times
Electrician -Lots of specialties that pay more, and cleaner work than other trades. Can then become an estimator or an inspector if you choose.
Welding - Learn the trade, and then try to become an inspector.
Plumber - Great money, and security, but dirty.
Cost estimator or eventual inspector in anything.

I would go the electrician route, if I wanted a Union trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment