Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times

Advertisements

Hard work definitely! See, while my peers were out partying and having fun after high school, I went to college and had no social life. Studying became my life. After graduation, I worked my @ss off and that is how I got where I am today. The sacrifices have paid off. I am still in contact with people I went to Jr. High and High School with and a lot of them are struggling financially. They aren't bad people - not at all. They could have made some better choices and a few sacrifices though and they would now be living a completely different life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:00 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
For me it's definetly a combo of both. I've worked hard at my job and came in to the field at the right time. When I started, the Phoenix/Scottsdale housing market was booming and houses were selling like hotcakes, it was almost impossible NOT to make a nice chunk of money. But now that it's cooling, it's harder to make such a large income. I also bought my home at the right time in the right area and it's now worth over double what I originally paid.

Luck has also come into the equation though. My parents are quite well-off and my father has helped me out financially. I've also taken some educated risks and most have paid off well. Now that I just don't blow it all.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Combination of both for me, too. I've always had a good work ethic. And I did things I enjoyed rather than do things that would make me more money or get me promoted. I enjoyed my military career immensely; was in aircraft maintenance. Would've NEVER chosen that specialty on my own but glad it was chosen for me! I married well (That old saw about "behind every successful man is a good woman" is DEFINITELY true in my case!) Yes, I'm sure there are jobs I could do to make better money than hauling groceries at night. But I love going to work every day and I don't think I'd ever be comfortable in the "office politics" game...

Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Both - I was luckily to be born into a stable family environment, where my parents stressed education and a good work ethic. We were a lower middle class blue collar family, not much money, but I didn't want for anything and worked hard in school to please my parents.

Because of that foundation, I was able to get into college, do well, land a job right after graduation, and work myself up the ladder. I purposely picked a field where I wouldn't be starving and would always be able to support myself.

So, hard work? Yes. Luck? yes - if I didn't have a happy and supportive family unit, who knows what may have happened.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Defiantely hard work. We came here with nothing ; I stress nothing. I came to a job as a nanny where I had to work the first week to pay back my train fare. My dh came with $300.
Now 20 years later, we are lucky enough to have owned our own business for 16 years. The first few years we worked 16 hours days. When we save up enough, we have always bought real estate. Now we are up to three houses, one is paid for totally. While we have three mortgages, thats it. We work hard, dont play that hard, never fly first class, go home once a year to see our family, keep a camper so we can have weekend trips. We dont have expensive taste.

But we stress hard work and education. When my boys were small, dh went back to college and got his 4 year degree in 3 years. My 8 year old is a work horse and knows and understands hard work. My 7 year old ; well, he dosnt like to work.

In this country you can become anything that you want to. If you want to be a bum, you can do it. But just dont blame everyone for your hard luck.

dorothy

Old 05-27-2007, 05:03 AM

75 posts, read 278,615 times
A whole lot of hard work and plenty of research. I buy old c-store properties that have seen a better day, remodel, run and sell at peak performance.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Except in obvious cases like inheritence and winning the lottery... luck is worthless to those who have not prepared for its arrival and don't know how to ride it to success. It's not enough to be in the right place at the right time -- you also have to be the right person for the opportunity.

And heck, even those who come into a huge sum by pure unadulterated luck often have a hard time keeping their wealth.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Except in obvious cases like inheritence and winning the lottery... luck is worthless to those who have not prepared for its arrival and don't know how to ride it to success. It's not enough to be in the right place at the right time -- you also have to be the right person for the opportunity.

And heck, even those who come into a huge sum by pure unadulterated luck often have a hard time keeping their wealth.
Well said, Drover! Money doesn't really chnage people; if you had no class before you won the lottery, you won't have any afterwards, either. I also beklieve that money and class have NOTHING to do with each other. I know lost of eople with money and no class and lost with little money but plenty of class... And, yes, you DO have to be able to capitalize on luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i suscribe to the definition of luck, as....ambition meets opportunity.

if i was a betting man, at a racetrack, my money would be on the horse called hard work,,not lucky.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:42 AM

523 posts, read 2,905,727 times
It's been mostly hard word work for me but there is some luck thrown in (buying a house before the market got too hot). In my case, I have always been a huge saver/investor. I started investing in my young 20s by maxing out my 401k (20% or more), living well below my means, and doing a lot of research. For instance, when buying a house, I really get a good understanding for the market, house, comps, and vision for the future in that area. With cars, I research depreciation so that I can make a true cost comparison. I also believe in diversifying my assets as much as possible (stocks and mutual funds in various industries, bonds, cash, real estate, etc.). I am very careful about spending money in general but not to the point that I'm totally cheap (I tip very well, for instance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment