Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,669,912 times

Advertisements

Since January, more than a million jobs have been cut in the U.S. Although the pace of layoffs has been declining, the downsizing is by no means over.

Job cutting is never easy, but it often becomes progressively harder as we go deeper into an organization.

10 things not to say when firing an employee - Small business- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,428,198 times
I have heard #1 a few times over the years! #6 sounds like a parent disciplining a child.#9 is worth a sarcastic laugh.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:44 PM

43 posts, read 127,690 times
OK, some are good, but remember Illinois is a right to hire/fire state. They don't need to tell you why they quit other than I QUIT and sometimes not even that and as employers we don't have to tell them why we fire them either, but most of us do.

Over this last two years I have let some slackers go, but this last year I had to cut some very quality people because it came down from the top.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,931,050 times
#3--I'm not sure what this has to do with Illinois, it was an MSNBC article, but just because a state has 'at-will' employment laws doesn't mean a fired employee can't sue you or that they won't win. Workers still have some rights and protections.

And even if you do have a valid reason for letting someone go, there are better alternatives to all of the phrases mentioned in the article--and that is exactly what the article is saying. If you are laying someone off, don't offer them platitudes. It is insulting. And there's really no point in rehashing performance or interpersonal issues at that point either. It only leaves a bad taste in their mouth, which they will probably pass on to other people--meaning your reputation is damaged.

I've seen it happen in my own industry in both the current and past recessions. Some employers were ruthless. Their process was and is still are referred to as 'bloodbaths' and 'massacres'. Even twenty years later, many people remember they way these managers conducted themselves. Most of them have never recovered their reputation--either with employees or with clients. Their conduct was unbecoming and unprofessional, towards people who did nothing to deserve that treatment. They are untrustworthy.

Last edited by kodaka; 11-19-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 06:59 PM

23,274 posts, read 29,133,463 times
I would never, ever want to be in a position to fire anyone, even if that person was the worst employee in the company.

The very night I fired someone, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep, even an unfamiliar sound in my house that night would spook me out. And, then going to work the next day, along with taking a gun along, I'd take a different route to work and a different route home. And even in my office, I still wouldn't feel secure.

Afterwards, I would be afraid to even walk around my neighborhood or go out into my yard.

That's just me! I'd fire the person who'd probably smile when I fired him, and
then one morning when looking out my 2nd floor bedroom window, there he is standing across the street, perhaps smiling.

It stuns me, during these severe economic times, that I don't read more about violence connected to the workplaces. When you take someone's job away, you've taken away their mens for survival, and any number of them could think: Well, I have nothing to lose now, at least if I go to prison I'll have a roof over my head and 3 free meals every day. Problem solved.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,040,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I would never, ever want to be in a position to fire anyone, even if that person was the worst employee in the company.

I must be an awful person then, because I believe Id LIKE that job.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 PM

No, a risk-taker with no fear of dying or being potentially stalked.

You couldn't pay me enough to have a job involving firing someone. And any number of workers deserve it, but still.........................

Only if the company provided me with a bullet-proof car, the most expensive security system for my house and a bodyguard.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,040,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No, a risk-taker with no fear of dying or being potentially stalked.

You couldn't pay me enough to have a job involving firing someone. And any number of workers deserve it, but still.........................

Only if the company provided me with a bullet-proof car, the most expensive security system for my house and a bodyguard.
I dont understand why so many people wouldnt want to do it. If you're a private person it seems like it would be relatively safe.
Sounds simple enough...read the file, observe the employee, give them a chance and make sure they know its their chance. They blow it, buh-bye.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 AM

Six months ago in this city, a convience store worker was fired. The same night, he went home, got his gun, went back and shot the manager. Dead.

The worker probably should have been fired long ago, but still...................

Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
"Before we terminate you, we need you to go through this psychological evaluation first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment