Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 03:55 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,897 times

Advertisements

Im MAD. They have stripped our savings accounts, some have tapped into their 401 K, and your house is worth less! They have done a great job at stripping people of their wealth. AND THERE ARE STILL NO JOBS! All the hard work for years, savings and sweat to have it all stripped away.

That felt good getting that off my chest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM

56 posts, read 100,983 times
Who is "they"? You talking about the Federal Govt?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Buying a house is like buying stock. Sometimes the value goes up, sometimes it goes down. Not everyone's home is "worthless."

If you bought over five years ago and put down a deposit and had a conventional loan--except in a very, very few places (Southern CA comes to mind) the only reason you'd have no equity is if you stripped it out.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:09 AM

49 posts, read 252,344 times
In my opinion, much of the "wealth" created over the last 5 years was phantom wealth. What I mean by this was that much of the value in the stock market was generated by unsustainable growth created by an over abundance of credit.

Equities (stocks) increased in value due to an overstatement in the value of assets and the value of real property was driven up by wreakless lending practices. These two factors pushed the stock markets to record highs and created unrealistic increases in the value of real estate (both commercial and residential).

As a result, there was alot of phantom wealth was created. Did you really expect the value of your home to continue to increase indefinately at 10-15 percent per year? Did you really expect to realize a 15-20 percent gain in your portfolio (401k) indefinately? At some point it had to end or at the very least, return to a sustainable level...........

I think what we are experiencing now is a revaluing of assets to adjust them downward to their actual value. Truth is, your house was probably really worth about 25-30 percent less and your 401k was probably worth 30-40 less all along.

Some people got rich at this scam. Others lost out. So is life I suppose but I don't think that the wealth eroded, it simply wasn't there to begin with.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:49 PM

56 posts, read 100,983 times
SPOT FREAKIN ON!!!

Example: Real Estate Flippers. Buy low, quick rehab, sell for the market value in the area in a matter of a couple months or less. A lot of them are being scewered right now with debt, foreclosing on some of their latest flip attempts. It's ugly.

Same with folks who made a killing on stock options at an internet company. I was one of them. By the time I left that company, my stock options weren't worth the paper they were written on. Needless to say, I fell, and HARD. My credit, which was above 700, is now somewere in the low 500's again. Took me four years to clean it up, now I'm right back where I started from because I went from income close to six figures, down to well below $50k.

My own fault. I leveraged myself to the throat, now I get to pay the price. Unfortunately, so do my creditors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
In my opinion, much of the "wealth" created over the last 5 years was phantom wealth. What I mean by this was that much of the value in the stock market was generated by unsustainable growth created by an over abundance of credit.

Equities (stocks) increased in value due to an overstatement in the value of assets and the value of real property was driven up by wreakless lending practices. These two factors pushed the stock markets to record highs and created unrealistic increases in the value of real estate (both commercial and residential).

As a result, there was alot of phantom wealth was created. Did you really expect the value of your home to continue to increase indefinately at 10-15 percent per year? Did you really expect to realize a 15-20 percent gain in your portfolio (401k) indefinately? At some point it had to end or at the very least, return to a sustainable level...........

I think what we are experiencing now is a revaluing of assets to adjust them downward to their actual value. Truth is, your house was probably really worth about 25-30 percent less and your 401k was probably worth 30-40 less all along.

Some people got rich at this scam. Others lost out. So is life I suppose but I don't think that the wealth eroded, it simply wasn't there to begin with.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
As a result, there was alot of phantom wealth was created. Did you really expect the value of your home to continue to increase indefinately at 10-15 percent per year? Did you really expect to realize a 15-20 percent gain in your portfolio (401k) indefinately? At some point it had to end or at the very least, return to a sustainable level............
Exactly, the writing was clearly on the wall, it was a house of cards waiting to crumble. I wasn't greedy, instead I was rather conservative with my investments. It was a strategy that definitely paid off for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment