Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 PM

31 posts, read 78,852 times

Advertisements

+

Last edited by call_j; 12-01-2009 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,269 times
I did this once, because I was desperate to get out of a job with a witch of a boss and no growth potential. I told them my range, which was about 15% higher than my current job. Turns out their bare minimum pay for the position was 20% higher than my current job, and they would have been willing to pay 40% more. So I got stuck with 20% higher, which is still great but I screwed myself out of a lot of money. I was still very happy that I got the job. At that company, what you make when you get hired is what you make forever, plus the usual 3% or so annual nflationary increases.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
I did something similar to John. Asked for more than I was getting at my previous job, but way less than they were willing to go for.

I did my time at the lower amount that I had asked for, and when a year was up and they offered me a paltry 5% raise I counter-offered with a higher amount, which they accepted. And after that, they knew I was not afraid to negotiate and would do my research on the prevailing wages for my field and experience. After that first year's raise, I think my raises were higher than many of my peers because they knew if it wasn't enough I wouldn't simply accept a low raise like others might.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,897 times
Did something similar to both of you. I make a lot better money, but nothing compared to what I could have been making!

But it wasn't because I knew the salary range (I do for my xp level and type of work). I just didn't know how well they paid. No wonder no one here ever quits. They have priced themselves out of the market

Normally I would shoot for one level above where I think I should be, then let them negotiate.

Past couple years have been bad with employers wanting me to take a pay cut to make a move. They actually try to put a positive spin on it.

Oh, I do not believe it is a good idea to go lower than their range. You should be confident not only in your abilities, but also your percieved worth

Old 12-02-2009, 01:22 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
When I got out of college I took a job at a company I had interned for. It was on a part-time basis. So, I didn't think I could command much of a salary (they were out of my field anyway). The hourly rate I offered was accepted immediately. I wanted to shoot myself for lowballing myself, but I was desperate for work (starving college student and all). I guess it wasn't so bad since I knew I would be there less than a year and I had completely flexible schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment