Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

Im planning to move to Las Vegas from Orlando, FL in October of this year. Im only 20 years old so my work experience is all hourly work. I have about two years now in retail, grocery stores in particular. Im a cashier as of right now

I know that I can fill out online apps. But what do I do if they want to interview me and Im in Orlando and the job is 2500 miles away in Vegas? I've filled out a few online apps for jobs in Las Vegas at grocery and other retail stores

Is there anyway I can properly go about looking fo jobs in Las Vegas while still being in Orlando? I will have about $5000 saved up by the time Im ready to move but I want a job in place by the time I get there. If its $9 or $10 an hour hourly work whatever company hires me will most likely not spend the money to fly me out there and interview me

Is there anything i can do that can help me secure a job thats also in writing and waiting for me when I get to Vegas? Please help me this has really been eating away at me

BTW if I dont have a job secured and I go anyway and try looking for work. Im worried I will not find a job in time and my savings will dry up or the job I do find wont give enough hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Unless you know someone that can hook you up, you aren't going to find an hourly job prior to moving.

And I'd be leery of Las Vegas, the u/e rate is as high there as it is here--possibly even higher. Your concern of not being able to find a job is valid.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless you know someone that can hook you up, you aren't going to find an hourly job prior to moving.

And I'd be leery of Las Vegas, the u/e rate is as high there as it is here--possibly even higher. Your concern of not being able to find a job is valid.
I am well aware of the unemployment rate in Las Vegas. This doesnt sound like much but its 1% higher then Orlando is. Orlando is jsut under 12%, Vegas is 13.1%

Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I live in Vegas and it's really bad right now. People with college degrees are going to be competing with you for those grocery store jobs. The easiest way to meet a PHD in Vegas is to get into a cab(that's a joke).

I've read your posts on the Vegas forum and I know you are determined to do this. I don't blame you, Vegas is a fun place to live. If you have to be poor, might as well be poor somewhere with good weather that has fun things to do.

If I was in your place, here's what I would do. First of all, save up the biggest bankroll possible. Give someone you trust enough of your savings to get you BACK home if necessary. Then come on out to Vegas and stay in one of those extended stay, rent by the week or month places. No lease and no utilities to pay. Look for a job that pays enough for you to stay in Vegas. If you succeed, great. If not, you have the money to go back home.

There's nothing wrong with taking a chance. You're young, have no responsibilities, so there's no better time for you to do this. I wish you luck.

You aren't going to find a job online from FLA. They want to see you in person.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Im planning to move to Las Vegas from Orlando, FL in October of this year. Im only 20 years old so my work experience is all hourly work. I have about two years now in retail, grocery stores in particular. Im a cashier as of right now

I know that I can fill out online apps. But what do I do if they want to interview me and Im in Orlando and the job is 2500 miles away in Vegas? I've filled out a few online apps for jobs in Las Vegas at grocery and other retail stores

Is there anyway I can properly go about looking fo jobs in Las Vegas while still being in Orlando? I will have about $5000 saved up by the time Im ready to move but I want a job in place by the time I get there. If its $9 or $10 an hour hourly work whatever company hires me will most likely not spend the money to fly me out there and interview me

Is there anything i can do that can help me secure a job thats also in writing and waiting for me when I get to Vegas? Please help me this has really been eating away at me

BTW if I dont have a job secured and I go anyway and try looking for work. Im worried I will not find a job in time and my savings will dry up or the job I do find wont give enough hours
Dear davie,
make your move, start out small, rent a furnished apt. cheap but in a nice area, sometimes people are seeking boarders which sometimes gives you kitchen privies, a bedroom and some other minor amentites.
After settling in, make sure you get a cheapie cell phone with a local phone number, and start pounding the pavements. family dollar and dollar general stores have revolving doors and employment is usually easy to find. remember, start out small, and work your way up.
P.S., no matter what you do, bank your cash/money, don't keep it on you or in your room/apartment.
If you're single with no room mate or girl friend, your grubstake of 5K will last you awhile. Don't spend your $$$$ foolishly, hang onto whatever you can, you might need it.
I came to New Mexico a few years ago and had a wife and 5K, and I made it.

Here's a link to the Vegas newspaper, they do have a jobs section you could browse.

Las Vegas Jobs (http://jobs.lasvegassun.com/ - broken link)

Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I live in Vegas and it's really bad right now. People with college degrees are going to be competing with you for those grocery store jobs. The easiest way to meet a PHD in Vegas is to get into a cab(that's a joke).

I've read your posts on the Vegas forum and I know you are determined to do this. I don't blame you, Vegas is a fun place to live. If you have to be poor, might as well be poor somewhere with good weather that has fun things to do.

If I was in your place, here's what I would do. First of all, save up the biggest bankroll possible. Give someone you trust enough of your savings to get you BACK home if necessary. Then come on out to Vegas and stay in one of those extended stay, rent by the week or month places. No lease and no utilities to pay. Look for a job that pays enough for you to stay in Vegas. If you succeed, great. If not, you have the money to go back home.

There's nothing wrong with taking a chance. You're young, have no responsibilities, so there's no better time for you to do this. I wish you luck.

You aren't going to find a job online from FLA. They want to see you in person.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Dear davie,
make your move, start out small, rent a furnished apt. cheap but in a nice area, sometimes people are seeking boarders which sometimes gives you kitchen privies, a bedroom and some other minor amentites.
After settling in, make sure you get a cheapie cell phone with a local phone number, and start pounding the pavements. family dollar and dollar general stores have revolving doors and employment is usually easy to find. remember, start out small, and work your way up.
P.S., no matter what you do, bank your cash/money, don't keep it on you or in your room/apartment.
If you're single with no room mate or girl friend, your grubstake of 5K will last you awhile. Don't spend your $$$$ foolishly, hang onto whatever you can, you might need it.
I came to New Mexico a few years ago and had a wife and 5K, and I made it.

Here's a link to the Vegas newspaper, they do have a jobs section you could browse.

Las Vegas Jobs (http://jobs.lasvegassun.com/ - broken link)
Im luck enough to be single. I was actualyl pallning on renting a room forr $300 or $400 a month to stretch my savings out longer

Old 12-21-2009, 06:29 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Are you cashiering for a big chain, or can you get a job quickly with a big chain? Seems like the easiest way to do what you want to do is to work for someplace like Kroger (or whatever company has a big presence on the west coast) and ask, after four to six months or so, if they will let you transfer.
I've done a couple of transfers this way. Usually the store mgr will call a regional or district manager in the area you want to go to and let them know you want to move. Sometimes they'll have an immediate opening, sometimes you have to wait for something to open up. Sometimes you don't get the exact area you want but maybe somewhere close by instead. But at least you have a job when you get there, and then it's easier to look for something else once you're in the new place.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
If it's a big chain, they often allow employees to request a transfer.

I know a guy who out of high school, couldn't find a job and his friends couldn't find a job so they packed up a car, pooled their money and headed West. They stopped for gas at one point 1800 miles from where they started, and this guy got to talking with the manager in the convenience store, mentioning they were headed West to look for jobs, the manager said "do you want a job?" and the guy said yes, so he was given the job. All he had to do is grab his stuff and wave his friends goodbye.

I know some girls who at age 19 and 20 did something similar only more for the adventure. They packed up, headed out and got jobs in resort lodges for a while.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Are you cashiering for a big chain, or can you get a job quickly with a big chain? Seems like the easiest way to do what you want to do is to work for someplace like Kroger (or whatever company has a big presence on the west coast) and ask, after four to six months or so, if they will let you transfer.
I've done a couple of transfers this way. Usually the store mgr will call a regional or district manager in the area you want to go to and let them know you want to move. Sometimes they'll have an immediate opening, sometimes you have to wait for something to open up. Sometimes you don't get the exact area you want but maybe somewhere close by instead. But at least you have a job when you get there, and then it's easier to look for something else once you're in the new place.
I currently work for publix, which is a very large chain but they only have stores in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina. They dont operate anywhere near Nevada

I could apply for Albertson's but their Florida locations are disappearing quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment