Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 20,267 times

Advertisements

HI all,
I am newbie here and this is my 1st post.
I am enrolled into payflex-Flexible Spending Account(FSA) via my employer.
As my wife was pregnant, I put 3500 USD into the account assuming the hospital bills would be 3000 USD apprx. But We ended up finally having approx 1100 USD as hospital bills, and around 400 USD for paediatrician visits for the infant.
Now I am left with 2000 USD approx in my FSA which should be used before end of august 2010. I have some ideas and questions.

Idea: I can buy good birth controls (condoms), OTC drugs, thermometers etc.

Q: how many thermometers can i buy?, I don't sell them but i can give them as a gift to friend right?

Q: Can I use payflex at dentist (NOT as co-pay but direct pay- I dont have dental insurance, so if doctor charges me 500 USD to clean my teeth, Can i Pay that 500 USD to the hospital-which is not COPAY but a medical bill -RIGHT?)

Q: Can I buy some medicines for someone else/relatives?

I am looking for some advice/suggestions...pls help me out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Glasses?

OTC that lasts a long time.

Probably way too early, orthodontics.

Buying for others may be illegal, but it also sounds like a hassle even if it was legal.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Glasses?

OTC that lasts a long time.

Probably way too early, orthodontics.

Buying for others may be illegal, but it also sounds like a hassle even if it was legal.
OK least what about buying ear-thermometers/temple-thermometers? How MANY can i buy?? at least 3-4? for me wife, infant.kids separately? anyideas

Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiinusa123 View Post
OK least what about buying ear-thermometers/temple-thermometers? How MANY can i buy?? at least 3-4? for me wife, infant.kids separately? anyideas
You could, but why so many?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 PM

145 posts, read 576,279 times
From personal experience with a flexible spending account, one usually has to submit the name of the provider, date of service, type of service, and the name of the person the service or medicine was for. When I signed up for this account, I had to list my dependents. So, buying for others is out unless you want to lie.
Any medical service or device for which you are not insured is usually covered by your flexible spending account. Your plan has a list of covered services that you can obtain from the provider. Some covered items I've been reimbursed for include: dental services (except for whitening), eye exams, eyeglasses, contact lenses and supplies/solutions, laser eye surgery.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Definitely dental care, vision care, OTC medications, medical devices such as flow meters, nebulizers, and blood pressure cuffs, etc.

You have over half a year left, and with an infant that $2000 could easily get chewed up by doctor visits.

I wouldn't start buying a bunch of stuff to sell on ebay yet.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan815 View Post
From personal experience with a flexible spending account, one usually has to submit the name of the provider, date of service, type of service, and the name of the person the service or medicine was for. When I signed up for this account, I had to list my dependents. So, buying for others is out unless you want to lie.
Any medical service or device for which you are not insured is usually covered by your flexible spending account. Your plan has a list of covered services that you can obtain from the provider. Some covered items I've been reimbursed for include: dental services (except for whitening), eye exams, eyeglasses, contact lenses and supplies/solutions, laser eye surgery.
You can also buy over the counter drugs, supplies and equipment.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=112623,00.html (https://www.myuhc.com/fsaPreOtc.do - broken link)

Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Can you claim for items for which you've incurred expenses rather than "paid"? The FSA reimburses to my account - so I can't submit an unpaid bill for payment?

I'm kind of in the same boat but a lot less at stake - got laid off in June but still have a balance in my FSA - they emailed me that I had until 3/14/10 to incur & submit but when I checked online, the email was wrong - due to termination, no grace period - I have 2 days to "incur" about $230.00 worth or it (to add insult to injury) gets paid back into the employer's fund.

I do have some unpaid medical bills if I could use it to make a partial payment, but I think it's only for reimbursement, not "payment' per se.

If I was you, I would hold onto the $ in your FSA until a little later, if you have until august - with a new infant you never know what copays etc may come up.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Can you claim for items for which you've incurred expenses rather than "paid"? The FSA reimburses to my account - so I can't submit an unpaid bill for payment?

I'm kind of in the same boat but a lot less at stake - got laid off in June but still have a balance in my FSA - they emailed me that I had until 3/14/10 to incur & submit but when I checked online, the email was wrong - due to termination, no grace period - I have 2 days to "incur" about $230.00 worth or it (to add insult to injury) gets paid back into the employer's fund.

I do have some unpaid medical bills if I could use it to make a partial payment, but I think it's only for reimbursement, not "payment' per se.

If I was you, I would hold onto the $ in your FSA until a little later, if you have until august - with a new infant you never know what copays etc may come up.
for me I have a FSA debitcard, no claims....the flexcard automatically does it...

Here is my question: I wanted to visit a dentist, not only for cleanup but also to check up and cure some dental problems. BUT I do NOT have any dental insurance. So can i use flex card, per say, a 500 USD payment for dentals?(NO COPAY, NOTHING, its is similar to an uninsured person visiting a dentist, will they cover it or Does it need 2 be a co-pay?)

Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM

145 posts, read 576,279 times
In the United States you can use the flex card for a $500 dental payment since you do not have dental insurance. I say "in the United States" because of the way you are referring to a "500 USD payment for dentals". If your employer is not in the US, then any advice given might not be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment