Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 AM

23 posts, read 53,720 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Our company has a canteen for its 100+ employees and we pay USD1 per meal.

Wondering how, where you have lunches on weekdays and how much you spend on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
I always work out (gym, swimming, basketball, etc) at lunch. I always bring my own lunch. My costs are probably less than a dollar a day for lunch. In the past 23 years, I've probably gone "out" to lunch 25 times. It takes me five minutes to eat lunch, so I use my lunch time to work out - it's more productive than sitting around.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,388,333 times
I pack my lunch everyday and eat at my desk. I couldn't afford to spend $6-7 daily on lunches around here.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I pack my lunch everyday and eat at my desk. I couldn't afford to spend $6-7 daily on lunches around here.
Echoing that. I try to bring lunch. A grilled cheese sandwich at a deli costs at least $4.50 now.

If I forget my lunch or don't have time, I just spend $2.50 on soup in the coffee shop/counter in our building.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM

153 posts, read 238,533 times
I'd bring my own - some tuna or a piece of fruit. I don't like to eat heavily in the middle of the day. The other women in my office would order in these huge lunches EVERY DAY - pizza, Burger King (including fries and shakes), Italian pasta meals with garlic bread, or deli sandwiches. As soon as their morning donuts were finished, they'd start talking about what they were going to order for lunch, who was going to pick it up, calling the restaurant for the day's special, etc. This usually started about 11:00. It was like planning their lunch was the highlight of their morning. On top of this being expensive (I had better things to do with the $25.00 - $30.00 a week), it was FATTENING. When you eat like that, and sit all afternoon, guess where it goes? And to look at those women, it was obvious.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,395,429 times
I have brought my lunch to work for years, but then again, a lot of warehouse/manufacturing hourly employees do that. Even after I got my first desk/office type job, I still brought my lunch to work. My wife on the other hand, before I met her, was buying her lunch out everyday. She is an Accountant and a large number of office type employees do buy lunch all the time. After we met/married, she started taking her lunch to work all the time and still does today, unless there is a special function at work that included lunch. There is a very nice cafeteria where she works, but chooses not to eat there. She took pizza today that we had left over from yesterday. We also make homemade tuna salad and egg salad for work lunches.
I've actually been told by co-workers, "I'm to damn lazy to make my lunch" and/or "don't take a lunch to work and don't cook at home. I'm a junk-food junkie and like it! Don't ever look in my frig for anything but beer and a few snacks."

Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,640,733 times
On the flip side to everyone else who's responded, I never bring my lunch to work and always wind up eating out. I probably spend about $8-$10 a day on lunch

Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 AM

278 posts, read 625,625 times
I bring my lunch, usually a frozen entree or sandwich and eat at my desk, usually end up eating out one day a week, usually when I forgot to bring lunch/didn't have lunch to bring.

-Steve

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,084,406 times
95% of time I used to bring lunch.

At my last job, we got a bit of a discount and there was a restaurant on site. However, still with a discount, it costs a fair bit if you are not making much $. I don't understand how people can blow $5.00-$10.00 day on lunch.

It's also unhealthy and fattening to go out for 'fast food' every lunch time (there is a time limit to lunch).

Even if I had the money, I would probably eat in the caf. or lunchroom at work.

Then again, as my father said (he went out to lunch almost every day when he worked) "You have to get out of the building or they will drive you crazy.

Still, you can sit in your car....bring a sandwich...chill out.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Most of the time I bring my lunch. We're in a very rural area, so the closest place to get something decent to eat it almost 15 minutes away. I eat at my desk and surf the Internet while I'm eating.

Last edited by annerk; 01-11-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment