Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 AM

8,039 posts, read 10,631,014 times

Advertisements

I've been in department store retail for several years, and although my job is bearable and I enjoy the people I work with, I'm getting really tired of working nights, Sundays, and holidays all the time.

I had been a bank teller years ago and the hours were better, so I interviewed for a local bank teller position recently, just to check it out.

Things have changed.
No longer is there such thing as "bankers" hours, apparently.

Also, it sounded to me like the predominant part of the job now is not so much to process customer transactions and be friendly, but to promote bank products, refer people for loans, and even make cold calls to customers after hours to further meet "sales" goals.

Sounds like "teller-marketing" to me. Those responsibilities were generally left up to the loan officers and marketing deparments back when I was a teller.

I would probably be good at this, I'm already used to having to meet sales goals, etc. in my current position. I just wondered whether most bank teller positions today are requiring this selling aspect as a major part of the job, or if it's specific to the bank where I applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,909 times
I'm not sure if it's all banks, but I saw an ad in the paper advertising for a teller position and part of the requirements was a year or more of sales experience.

Now the few times, I've gone into my credit union, the teller took care of my transaction, asked if I needed anything else and then told me to have a great day. I really like that. No sales pitches when I deposit or withdraw money.

I've even noticed that cashiers at some stores are pushing for customers to sign up for the store credit card. Explaining that they would save such and such a percent, or get so many months of no interest.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,273,130 times
When I lived in San Francisco, one of the boa banks there did it. You could tell it was something new pushed upon them as the tellers that I noticed all seemed a bit embarrassed and out of place trying to 'sell' their products.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,536 times
Many banks are going this route. Some may be more subtle about it than others. Certain retailers have pushed credit cards for years. They could care less if the customers are waited on or if the employee has good customer service skills.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,053 times
These days customer service translates to sell more stuff - it's slowly been taking over from any real service to customers

Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
These days customer service translates to sell more stuff - it's slowly been taking over from any real service to customers
Good point. This is why I use my few little dollars at businesses that actually provide service. These locations include everything from banks to groceries to drug stores. One of my pet peeves is the consumer who bemoans the quality of goods and services yet runs to the nearest Walmart or discount outlet.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
I work at a well known brokerage firm as an assistant, and even in my job we're being pushed to market banking products to our clients. I can get on board with services like electronic delivery of statements to save paper, but to push credit cards, etc.? Yuck. I actually got a bad review at work last year, because my useless supervisor, who has NO idea what I do on a daily basis because she works in a different office, decided to rate me just on those services.

I'm pretty sure our client like me because I don't push products on them constantly.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I work at a well known brokerage firm as an assistant, and even in my job we're being pushed to market banking products to our clients. I can get on board with services like electronic delivery of statements to save paper, but to push credit cards, etc.? Yuck. I actually got a bad review at work last year, because my useless supervisor, who has NO idea what I do on a daily basis because she works in a different office, decided to rate me just on those services.

I'm pretty sure our client like me because I don't push products on them constantly.
I'm sure your clients do like you for this reason! The people I especially feel for are the ones who will be out in a week or have their hours drastically reduced if their "quota" isn't met. I saw this at my last position. Although I wasn't involved directly in the retail end, I had a great deal of contact with the sales people. Meeting a quota when there are few or no customers in the store is beyond me.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
I'm not sure most banks have drastically extended their hours a la TD Bank, but I do think most of them are making tellers be "pushy salespeople". It's a shame, can't we just have a bank hold our money and not push us to go more into debt and get poorer?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:51 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I've even noticed that cashiers at some stores are pushing for customers to sign up for the store credit card. Explaining that they would save such and such a percent, or get so many months of no interest.
Oh my God, this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! I feel bad for the cashiers who have to ask this over and over - I've heard that they can be reprimanded if they fail to ask every customer. That's just so cheap imo. The company really needs to beg people to sign up for its stupid store credit card? ANNOYING.

I was offered a temporary job as a "Teller" that would have lasted three months. Then I would have been offered the position of a "Personal Banker" if they decided to keep me on. Comission based. Included cold calling and signing people up for random crap they probably didn't need. Nooo thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment