Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM

610 posts, read 3,017,023 times

Advertisements

Anyone on here ever work as a Truck Driver?

If so, did you enjoy the job? If someone was considering a career in that field would you recommend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,381,258 times
Many years ago (1970s) while I was in school, I drove gas and diesel conventional and cab-over Whites, Macks, IHs and even one old Diamond Rio. We hauled swinging meat from meat packing houses in eastern New Mexico and west Texas to a NM Santa Fe Piggyback rail yard where we then had to load them (backed them) onto SF train flat cars. It was a tough job even for a young man but it was especially difficult in the cold of winter. The old trucks back then did not have power steering and my wife recalls that I developed shoulders that Arnold Schwarzenegger would have envied. Also, although I did this only for several years some 40 years ago, I can still back a trailer with the best of them.

Regarding driving a modern truck over-the-road for long-distances, I used to ponder this possibility for my life but I decided that I liked my family too much to be away from home for such long periods of time. The new trucks today are so much better than what I had to drive but the work can still be dangerous especially since small car drivers will buzz around a fully loaded Peterbilt travelling at 75 mph as carelessly as flies buzz around a rhinos' rear end. That was what always scared me the most.

At any rate, trucking is a very honorable profession. American cannot function without someone moving the goods. Should you decide to try it, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM

713 posts, read 3,439,995 times
I too am interested in truck driving but there are a dew things to consider. Pay is around $32K first year if you keep the wheels going as they say. You will be on the road for long lengths of time with maybe 1 day home after 20+ days on the road. Driving around 11 hours each day. Never buy or lease your own truck since its a very bad idea, especially for someone just coming into the field. There are some companies like Transport America that will send you to Canada to truck so you might need a passport depending on what company but usually you will be paid a few more cents a mile to do it.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 PM

111 posts, read 290,042 times
Here are two recent threads you may find informative:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ck-driver.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-truckers.html

And an older thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ck-driver.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment