Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM

33 posts, read 197,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But two people making minimum wage can make $30k or more...I know couples making it work on that...

30k before taxes isn't enough to start family. It's good for two working adults, but it isn't good enough to raise even one child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 AM

810 posts, read 3,310,286 times
We are a family of 6 (4 girls under the age of 13) and our grocery budget for 2 weeks is $250. My wife clips coupons and does all the meal plannings and grocery shopping. We go out to eat several times a month.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,092,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
We are a family of 6 (4 girls under the age of 13) and our grocery budget for 2 weeks is $250. My wife clips coupons and does all the meal plannings and grocery shopping. We go out to eat several times a month.
You must live where it is very cheap and eat out at fast food places. What do you eat for meals?
Do you take your 4 kids to get burgers and fries when you eat out?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,089,498 times
Minimum wage is not a sustainable income; people often have to work 2 or more minimum wage jobs to survive.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM

491 posts, read 750,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelongkissgoodnight View Post
1) A minimum wage job is suppose to be used as a stepping stone. A person isn't suppose to support a family working for minimum wage.

2) If the minimum wage was raised to $10 an hour nationally, it would cause a great depression. Companies would only be able to hire a small amount of workers.

3) If a person is trying to support a family with a minimum wage salary, then he or she is a fool. Why on earth should responsible people have to suffer from the actions of a fools? A person needs to established in a career before he or she even thinks about supporting a family. BTW "accidents" don't happen bad choices happen.

4) Minimum wage jobs are meant for high school students, college students, and workers getting retrained for a new career.
Not everyone has an oppurtunity in their job to move up. Their is no higher position for a trash collecter to move up to. Their is no evidence that raising the minimum wage would cause a depression. In fact the minimum wage is not very high and we are in a depression anyway. So it is okay for CEO's of companies to make millions but yet they can not pay more?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,116,681 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head about families and minimum wage. There is no need for me to add anything.

I wouldn't touch the IT field with a 40 foot pole. I fell for that crap back in the ten years ago. I was $12,000 in debt from wasting time and money getting trained for an IT career, and I got rejected or ignored by employers.
Not sure what you mean by "that crap." My husband is in the I/T field and makes a very nice salary.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Not everyone has an oppurtunity in their job to move up. Their is no higher position for a trash collecter to move up to.
Actually there are plenty of opportunities to move up if they are smart enough and driven enough to do so. They can move into management, environmental consulting, etc.

Quote:
Their is no evidence that raising the minimum wage would cause a depression. In fact the minimum wage is not very high and we are in a depression anyway. So it is okay for CEO's of companies to make millions but yet they can not pay more?
Your logic is faulty. There are many more small businesses who can't afford to pay employees a higher wage and would either lay off staff or fold than there are big companies with CEO's making millions. And for the record, in most of those big companies with well compensated CEO's, most employees are making a lot more than minimum wage.

Frankly if someone is smart enough to become CEO of a corporation, then they are entitled to whatever salary package they can negotiate. If you don't like it, become the president of the Board of Directors of a corporation and change it.

Companies pay what they need to pay in order to retain the talent they need to retain. There is no reason to pay most minimum wage workers more than they make--simply put they are disposable and can be replaced the next day with another minimum wage worker. Employees that bring value to the company are compensated for that value. The days of making a good living just for showing up and fogging a mirror are over. Anyone who wants to make more than minimum wage needs to figure out how to add value--otherwise they simply aren't worth more than they are being paid. Shareholders demand profits, and you can't make a company profitable by paying people more than the market says they are worth.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Not everyone has an oppurtunity in their job to move up. Their is no higher position for a trash collecter to move up to. Their is no evidence that raising the minimum wage would cause a depression. In fact the minimum wage is not very high and we are in a depression anyway. So it is okay for CEO's of companies to make millions but yet they can not pay more?

You need check out the "dead end jobs" thread, and see why a sanitation engineer doesn't want to move up the ranks. Sanitation engineers in Los Angeles earn more than a lot of folks that have four year degrees. Sanitation engineers do not earn minimum wage. You need to come up with a better example.

If companies are forced to pay their employers more money, then hiring slows down, prices for services and goods will sky rocket, and the economy will go down the crappy. If you think it's bad now, wait until the minimum wage is raised to $10.00 an hour.

CEOs make millions, because the USA is a capitalistic country.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not sure what you mean by "that crap." My husband is in the I/T field and makes a very nice salary.
I am not dissing people who are in the IT field. I am dissing people who mislead others into believing they can get a decent salary in the IT field with only schooling and certifications. I have known a lot of people including myself that went into debt by going to a tech school for IT and IT certifications with nothing to show for it.

BTW, how did you husband get into the IT field?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I am not dissing people who are in the IT field. I am dissing people who mislead others into believing they can get a decent salary in the IT field with only schooling and certifications. I have known a lot of people including myself that went into debt by going to a tech school for IT and IT certifications with nothing to show for it.

BTW, how did you husband get into the IT field?
BS in engineering, MS in programming, started as a programmer, worked his way up, and paid off the student loans along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment