Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,249,771 times

Advertisements

I'm sure someone out there has felt the same way I has, or atleast I hope. I know that my supervisor is doing a lot of things that are fireable offenses, but I know I have his trust and I wouldn't do anything to jepordize that. Sometimes though I feel like I'm doing the right things, and he's getting away with things, and getting praise while I'm staying low on the totem pole. I don't want to be that guy to throw anyone "under the bus". It just gets frustrating to keep information to myself that may help me move up, I just don't want to do it that way. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,157,742 times
Here's what years of experience has taught me.

My job is to make my boss look good.

Nothing good can ever come from trying to submarine your boss. Even if you are successful at getting him fired and yourself promoted.......NO ONE will want to work with you because of your reputation. Being right doesn't matter. People will always remember what you did to your boss.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,506,351 times
If he's doing things that are fireable offenses and you know about them, you're just as guilty as he is.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,247,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If he's doing things that are fireable offenses and you know about them, you're just as guilty as he is.
I feel the same way. Had I known about a situation where something illegal or unsafe was going on and not told my boss, it would have put me in a situation where I likely would have been terminated as well once it all blew wide open. And trust me, these things always come out in the long run.

You need to address this by going to someone senior in the company or HR. Document the heck out of it first so that you can prove that you weren't involved in anything your boss was doing. Store that documentation offsite.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 94,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here's what years of experience has taught me.

My job is to make my boss look good.

Nothing good can ever come from trying to submarine your boss. Even if you are successful at getting him fired and yourself promoted.......NO ONE will want to work with you because of your reputation. Being right doesn't matter. People will always remember what you did to your boss.
Couldn't you have done the something, anything anonymously? There are Waste, Fraud, and Abuse offices that take anonymous information. A note left at an HR desk or senior director's desk. I could get more creative. This would be a slam dunk.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,309,831 times
I did A/P for many years. In A/P you see a lot of things that make your skin crawl.

In one company I used to see many instances of employees using company accounts to buy things that were for personal use. Company policy was that these types of purchases had to be pre-approved by a supervisor and a form sent to A/P and HR so that the invoice could be properly coded and reimbursement deducted from the employees next pay check (unless arrangements had been made for multiple deductions over time for big ticket items). When an invoice would come in that was clearly not company related I would make a copy and take it to my supervisor so that she could contact the supervisor of the employee. After 4 or 5 of these, some from upper management, I heard this "Do you actually look at all of the invoices?" Um, yeah. That is my job. After another few I heard "Others have made an issue of this type of thing and they no longer work here". I lost all respect for my supervisor that day.

At another company the CFO was stealing money and materials hand over fist. I had much documentation that I turned in to my supervisor who turned in to the owner of the company. Again, nothing was done. The CFO was furious with me, as he knew the only place the info could have come from was me. He went out of his way to make me miserable.

My advice to you is this: If you are uncomfortable ignoring what is going on around you look for another job (not easy these days, I know) and when you give your notice turn in whatever documentation you have to someone who should care.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,560,390 times
yellowsnow speaks the truth.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,969,606 times
Supervisors are paid more because they are expected to take more responsibility than the people they oversee. Not the other way around.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,127,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Couldn't you have done the something, anything anonymously? There are Waste, Fraud, and Abuse offices that take anonymous information. A note left at an HR desk or senior director's desk. I could get more creative. This would be a slam dunk.
Agree. You could write an anonymous letter to several offices, senior managers, inspector general, etc. and describe the situation. Keep writing them. It will shake up what your boss is doing and they'll never know it's you.

Getting credit for good work is something different. It is true what yellowsnow says about making one's boss look good. But remember, when you apply for a new job elsewhere, your resume will reveal those highlights and accomplishments.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM

25,606 posts, read 56,701,656 times
OMG - unless this is a gross infraction of the rules or serious theft, it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I would not write an anonymous letter, either. They will know you did it and it will backfire on you. The messenger is often shot. Seems a bit cutthroat to report a supervisor for the sole purpose of advancing your career unless there is truly gross misconduct. Remember, what goes around comes around.

On the other hand, if it is similar to a $31Mlllion theft such as we had here in WI and you are asked to do something illegal such as wire money from the company account to pay for boss's personal purchases, yes, indeed, I would run to management and wouldn't care who knew about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment