Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
Well folks, I have hunkered down, resigned myself to show up, keep my mouth shut, do whatever they want and not have any discussion with anyone. ... It sucks working all day without any conversation in the workplace, but that is what has come to.
Thanks for the update. Selfishly, it would just eat at me to not know how this situation resolves itself. Keep us posted. We're listening (to paraphrase Frazier Crane).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 AM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Default Double the Good On Ya'

Quote:
Well folks, I have hunkered down, resigned myself to show up, keep my mouth shut, do whatever they want and not have any discussion with anyone. Yes sir, no sir, what do you want me to do sir?
They got one of my co-workers to quit Monday. He had 37 years and couldn't take it anymore. They have pulled out all the stops on me to try to get to me, but I have decided I am going to make it miserable for them to try to fire me. I want my package . Thanks for all the advice. It sucks working all day without any conversation in the workplace, but that is what has come to.
It does suck not talking to anyone but that is necessary in many workplaces these days. Yes, indeed, keep your eye on the ball. And if you waiver, think about how angry, sad and depressed that co-worker who'd been there 37 years is feeling right now. That isn't going away anytime soon - it will eat at him for a long time. He got nada when he quit and his whole identity was probably all tied up in that place. If he at least had got severance, it eases the pain. Sure he got sh*tty treatment - but the money does help - a lot.

These stories are so common - make it so miserable that people quit. Heard one the other day - 25 years of dedication and transferred off to an outpost of the business - complete isolation - just to force a quit. Don't know long she'll be able to hang on.

We're rootin' for ya. Let us know what happens.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-21-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
I have survived all these deals so far, and 15 years ago even opted out of a management position back to a craft (service tech) position to keep my job.

The problem is that we recently got new management from my manager up through VP and prior to this I have never had any disciplinary action for anything. Now, it seems like I am in someones office daily for some sort of pep talk, complaint about my performance or something. Today it was the famous "you're doing a great job and you're our best guy...we'd sure hate to see anything happen to you" after all these years, speech. Then, they tell me I have a "lot of potential" before sending me off to work. I am the highest level tech they have with the most training and degrees, so I am baffled at what they mean as I am maxed out in my job and salary.

Potential to do what?
They want you to come back over to the darkside.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 03-21-2010 at 01:02 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 08:23 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You must be pretty sure that severance packages will be given to have decided to go with this option and that it will be sizeable enough to be worth it.

I would think working in such an environment could do a number on one's psyche and I would still think getting another job, getting out while the gettin's good would be the better option. What happens to your motivation and enthusism, your creativity and drive through this process?

Yes, I am sure that if i can hang there will be a severance package and yes it is lucrative. It amounts to a years pay, five thousand dollars for "retraining" and the right to collect full unemployement for the max term, and I don't have to sign a no-compete, which is big for what i do.

Also, I might mention I am in the job hunt mode and have several resume's out, but i do specialized work in the telecom field and jobs are few and far between for what I do. I have had several interviews, but it seems to actually be a problem that after 25 years i am looking for a new job. I can't tell them that my current employer is struggling to stay alive and I don't think they would believe it anyway, because on the surface and according to the stock market and business analysts we are the number one company in the field, but it is a house of cards and a lot of smoke and mirrors to make it look good. *Sigh* We haven't made the numbers since being bought out and that is why they are trying to force us out.

SO...will hang in, job hunt and I'll keep you guys informed.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM

11 posts, read 30,523 times
I am going through similar mobbing at work. What have you found are the most common tactics they employ? The constant office visit thing happens to me, the glares and stares, silent treatment, undermining and sabotage, and I just got tricked into what they claim to be an ethics violation last week but I was able to talk my way out of with the help of an attorney.

I took a couple of days off, but I have to stick my situation out because I can't afford to quit. If you search the web they tell you some common things that happen but it would be interesting to hear the most popular techniques used out there to get people to quit.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore_it_manager View Post
I am going through similar mobbing at work. What have you found are the most common tactics they employ? The constant office visit thing happens to me, the glares and stares, silent treatment, undermining and sabotage, and I just got tricked into what they claim to be an ethics violation last week but I was able to talk my way out of with the help of an attorney.

I took a couple of days off, but I have to stick my situation out because I can't afford to quit. If you search the web they tell you some common things that happen but it would be interesting to hear the most popular techniques used out there to get people to quit.
Hi bmore_it_manager. In my case it is outright lies about things I have supposedly said or done, glares and stares, silent treatment, undermining and sabotage, false accusations, constant calls into the directors office for reprimand, belittling, and all the crap work they can throw on me.
All kinds of crazy childish stuff too. I sat in a meeting of 40 people last week while a director spoke, and mid-sentence she stopped speaking and looked at me and said "scapegoat, do you have a question" and I swear my facial expression hadn't changed or body language or anything for this to happen. After the meeting my coworkers commented "what have you done to these people?" that she single you out. I wish I knew the answer to that one myself. It has also been insinuated that I too have violated our ethics policy, because a lifelong friend is in a small telecom business and they think I am giving him sales leads. Another absolutely not true statement. They are trying everything they can to get me out and I don't get it. The ops mgr came over last week and handed me an award and congratulated me for the "great job" I am doing and my manager has nothing but good things to say about me and my work. Then, she proceeds to tell me that if I have any complaints I should bring them to her, and she'd hate to see anything happen to me after all these years! I have no clue what she was talking about other than the firing threat and was scared to ask, so I just said yes maam and hung my head. I don't get it.

The director of mktg came in a couple weeks ago and insinuated that customers were telling her I had a negative attitude and they didn't like dealing with me. I know this is not true because my customers like me. This was before I went to the yes sir, no sir tactic and stopped speaking up or talking to coworkers, so I challenged her by telling her I would like her to tell me who complained and I would like to have a meeting with them to clear the air. She stuttered and stammered and couldn't name anyone and walked out madder than when she came. I chalked it up to another intimidation tactic. I was doing like you and taking days off to mentally recover and get away from it am but running out of vacation days and need to keep some for job interviews. My latest tactic to save my butt is I have become invisible. I avoid all the mgrs and do business via email and im. It's working so far. I get out on the road in the am before they get in and stay out till after they leave at night.

I fully expect to get fired, it's just a matter of when. Got any jobs over in bmore?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:56 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
scapegoatpa, if you're in the bmore/eastern market then you'll be interested in the private message I've just sent. Not that there's an answer there for you but is an avenue to share information. Maybe. Good luck.
Quote:
...rumblings about a big NE/Mid-Atl/PO managment RIF to go with the nonmgmt downsizing. Weirdly enough, also hearing that it may end up including a VOLUNTARY component.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Well folks, I have hunkered down, resigned myself to show up, keep my mouth shut, do whatever they want and not have any discussion with anyone. Yes sir, no sir, what do you want me to do sir?They got one of my co-workers to quit Monday. He had 37 years and couldn't take it anymore. They have pulled out all the stops on me to try to get to me, but I have decided I am going to make it miserable for them to try to fire me. I want my package . Thanks for all the advice. It sucks working all day without any conversation in the workplace, but that is what has come to.
Don't forget to rent "Office Space".

Good luck. It's rough out there.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM

409 posts, read 872,956 times
Scapegoatpa, neither I nor anyone else on this broad knows what exactly you have to put up with at your current job. But I think you are doing the right thing by hanging in there. It's easy for someone to say leave and keep your dignity and enthusiasm intact. But you cannot pay the bills with them. If you do get laid off at least you will get the package and unemployment. Leave and you get nothing. And who knows how long it will take you to get another job. I'm sure your ex-coworker is kicking himself for walking away from that money

One piece of advice. When you go into your yes sir, no sir mode, make sure your tone and facial expression are positive or neutral so they can't say you have a bad attitude.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
Woe is the world we live in when the business world has been infected with childish behavior. I hope I NEVER have to go through that. I feel for the OP. The OP should beat them at their own game. Come to work with a pleasant disposition and basically do your job 10x better. When they see they're losing, eventually they'll back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment