Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times

Advertisements

I worked at a company once where the team was conducting a group interview. One of my coworkers asked the candidate a very difficult question, one that I felt was unfair and that the person asking the question would never be able to answer if it were asked of him. A few years later, I applied for a job where I had to meet with each team member separately. Things were going great until I met with one guy who asked me a technical question that was way over my head. Instead of trying to BS my out of it, I just admitted that I didn't know the answer. He immediately scribbled something on my resume and walked out without even shaking my hand. The rest of the interview went fine. At the end, I met with the manager and mentioned the question that I couldn't answer. He explained that the scenario that person asked about would never happen at that particular job.

I can understand asking hard questions during an interview. After all, a big part of why you have an interview is to evaluate the candidate. But in the case of these two people I just described, I can't help but think that goal was secondary and that the person conducting the interview just enjoyed being on the other side of the desk. Some people who aren't normally in positions of power like the idea of suddenly having it and, for a lack of a better word, it causes them to act like a ****. Has this ever happened to you, how did you handle it, and did it cause you to lose interest in the job you were applying to? In this market, it's hard enough to even get interviews and I can see a lot of interviewers having an attitude. For many, it's a power trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 PM

225 posts, read 1,115,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I worked at a company once where the team was conducting a group interview. One of my coworkers asked the candidate a very difficult question, one that I felt was unfair and that the person asking the question would never be able to answer if it were asked of him. A few years later, I applied for a job where I had to meet with each team member separately. Things were going great until I met with one guy who asked me a technical question that was way over my head. Instead of trying to BS my out of it, I just admitted that I didn't know the answer. He immediately scribbled something on my resume and walked out without even shaking my hand. The rest of the interview went fine. At the end, I met with the manager and mentioned the question that I couldn't answer. He explained that the scenario that person asked about would never happen at that particular job.

I can understand asking hard questions during an interview. After all, a big part of why you have an interview is to evaluate the candidate. But in the case of these two people I just described, I can't help but think that goal was secondary and that the person conducting the interview just enjoyed being on the other side of the desk. Some people who aren't normally in positions of power like the idea of suddenly having it and, for a lack of a better word, it causes them to act like a ****. Has this ever happened to you, how did you handle it, and did it cause you to lose interest in the job you were applying to? In this market, it's hard enough to even get interviews and I can see a lot of interviewers having an attitude. For many, it's a power trip.

Went thru a State interview several years ago with a "board" of interviewers where they went roundtable asking questions. Then, I took a verbal multiple choice test where you could get extra credit for answering correctly before hearing the answers read.I answered many questions without hearing the choices and got a high score. They had someone other than me (a relative) they wanted to give the job to, so they called me in for a second test. I asked my insider what this was about and they wanted to retest me with questions out of my field so I would score lower then their boy they wanted to hire. Rather than to guess at the questions I didn't know, I simply said "I have no idea" and at one point, the one fellow who wanted to hire his relative acutally smiled broadly and snickered when I said I didn't know. VERY disrespectful and pissed me off. I almost walked out right there. Funny part is, I still outscored their boy. So...they claimed "veterans preferance" to hire him, as he had army time and I didn't. Then, they had the balls to try to contract me in to train him for the job since he had NO experience and I did. I guess you know what I told them!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:10 AM

80 posts, read 206,512 times
Wow, scapegoatpa, what a rotten thing those people did to you! I probably wouldn't have been able to keep from kicking that guy in the *****.

About six years ago, I had an interview with a woman at a company I had previously worked for (for four years). It was in a different city and for a different division of the company, but the wife of one of my co-workers worked in that office and she had a hand in getting me the interview. This was a really good company to work for and I never expected to be treated so badly. That woman was so rude and disrespectful, she had an attitude from the get-go. She kept checking her blackberry and IM'ing the whole time. She didn't even give me a chance to finish answering each of her questions before she would cut me off. By the time I left there, I had already decided there was no way in He!! I would work for her.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,186 times
Just something to keep in mind, I've heard that sometimes an interviewer may throw a curve ball your way in an interview, just to see how you'll react. Sometimes it's not about having the perfect answer, it's more about showing your character in an unexpected situation.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Just something to keep in mind, I've heard that sometimes an interviewer may throw a curve ball your way in an interview, just to see how you'll react. Sometimes it's not about having the perfect answer, it's more about showing your character in an unexpected situation.
I can understand why an interviewer might do that. But what I'm talking goes way beyond that. I've been in interviews where the interviewer asked a question that was more about seeing how I deal with curve balls that about giving the right answer. But I've been in enough interviews where I can tell the difference. With some people, you can just tell they're looking for an excuse not to hire you or they enjoy being able to make you squirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment