Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM

28 posts, read 53,172 times

Advertisements

I paid $25 to send a measely 3 Inmails per month. I thought that was high considering only 3 messages.
When I finally go to send someone a thank you for a fantastic interview message with some key highlights I find out when I hit the send button that there is a mere 2000 CHARACTER LIMIT!!
Maybe I'm missing the point but I think for a paid service you should have a much higher limit than 2000 characters to get your point across. Oh lets make them use up 2 messages so they upgrade!
Although I didn't want to come across as a pest so I had to drastically streamline my message to one.

Your turn, what do you dislike about LinkedIn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
What exactly do you pay for? I use it for free.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 PM

You can't send anyone a message with the free personal account. Can recieve but not send. The messages you get with an upgraded account are limited to 2000 characters. Which it says nowhere here in the listing about character limits, only message quantity.

Personal Account - Free

1. 5 Introductions open at a time.
  2. Can receive unlimited InMail messages.
  3. 3 Saved Searches with weekly alerts.
  4. Can view 100 results per search before upgrade is needed.
Business Account - US$24.95/month or get two months free and pay US$249.50/year

1. Can send 3 InMails per month, with a seven-day response guarantee.
  2. Unused InMail credits roll over each month, up to a maximum of nine.
  3. 5 Saved Searches with weekly alerts.
  4. 15 Introductions open at a time.
  5. Can view 300 results per search before upgrade is needed.
  6. Save and organize Profiles with Profile Organizer and 5 folders.
  7. Allow anyone to reach out to you by joining the OpenLink Network.
  8. Send unlimited messages to anyone in the OpenLink Network.
  9. Unlimited reference searches allow you to find coworkers of a candidate.
  10. 1 business day customer service.
  11. Access to additional search refinements.
Business Plus - US$49.95/month or get two months free and pay US$499.50/year

1. Can send 10 InMails per month, with a seven-day response guarantee.
  2. Unused InMail credits roll over each month, up to a maximum of 30.
  3. 7 Saved Searches with weekly alerts.
  4. 25 Introductions open at a time.
  5. Can view 500 results per search before upgrade is needed.
  6. Save and organize Profiles with Profile Organizer and 25 folders.
Pro - US$499.95/month or get two months free and pay US$4999.50/year

1. Can send 50 InMails per month, with a seven-day response guarantee.
  2. Unused InMail credits roll over each month, up to a maximum of 150.
  3. 10 Saved Searches with daily alerts.
  4. 40 Introductions open at a time.
  5. Can view 700 results per search.
  6. Save and organize Profiles with Profile Organizer and 25 folders.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Ah. I only use it to stay connected with people I know.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
You are the only person I've heard of that paid for the premium version. Did you not see that you were limited to three when you paid, or did you not consider how many messages you would want to send in a month? Are you not aware that you can send email with the free version?

Although paid or not, I wouldn't use LinkedIn to send a thank you. Likely the employer will want all of the communications with an applicant in one location--their email box. Sending via LinkedIn means your thank you is in a different spot. And they likely won't even know about your email right away, since LinkedIn sends a notification of the message to the account the user signed up with, and most people use their personal email address.

I suppose for me the frustration is the '6 people have looked at your profile in the last 30 days'--but doesn't give me their names. But this isn't really a big deal. I think you just need to recognize LinkedIn for what it is. It has value. It puts your name out there, helps you maintain connections with professional peers, helps you find other people that may be useful or helpful to you. It isn't meant to replace person-to-person networking or job hunting or your resume or email.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Did you not see that you were limited to three when you paid, or did you not consider how many messages you would want to send in a month?
Yes I did consider this and was well aware it was only 3. It's not the quantity of messages that bothers me. My complaint is each message is limited to 2000 characters which is not disclosed until you click send on a message AFTER you've paid to upgrade the account.
Quote:
Are you not aware that you can send email with the free version?
I wasn't aware of that. Go find a total stranger outside of your network and click on *send an Inmail* and see if it takes you to an upgrade account page. Maybe you can message people in your network of friends but not a total stranger without an upgrade. Unless I'm missing something. After all I am new to LinkedIn. The idea behind this thread is to educate, even if it takes ranting. Lol

Quote:
I wouldn't use LinkedIn to send a thank you
I do understand your point however it seems to be the only avenue I have to contact the hiring manager. I thought it to be asking too much or too awkward to ask the hiring manager for their email after the interview. Some are reluctant due to ticked off declined candidates spamming their professional work address.
Quote:
It isn't meant to replace person-to-person networking or job hunting or your resume or email.
This is a good point as well. It took a lot of soul searching to even send a thank you through LinkedIn. I would have much rather used the *preferred* means.

I apologize if I come across as ranting. My intentions are to find out what others dislike about the site so we may educate ourselves. I know there have been times I read all these great articles and capabilities for a particular software and bought it only to find out it was chocked full of issues. It wasn't until I hit the message boards that I realized how I just wasted valuable time and money.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Yes, if I click on 'InMail' it directs me to pay for an account. So instead I just click on 'send a message'.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 AM

48 posts, read 155,892 times
The paid functions are geared towards recruiters and hiring managers. I've never heard (till now!) of a job hunter paying to use LinkedIn.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
In all honesty, 2000 characters is a LOT of words for a thank you note. That's about 300 words/15-20 sentences (including spaces). You shouldn't need more than that.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:30 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,965 times
I had it once, but I think it's kind of overhyped... I don't think you should contact someone unless you have their email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment