Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:41 PM

202 posts, read 568,385 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

In your part of the world, when you get together with friends and family for some outdoor cooking, what food do you like to cook and how do you cook it?

Thanks!

PS : I'm asking here instead of in the food forum because I'd like a more "global" response.

PPS : The reason I'm asking is that I'm studying to become a culinary anthropologist/historian, with plans to eventually open a restaurant that features historical techniques of cooking with wood and charcoal from various cultures.

What I like about wood and charcoal cooking is that it's done in almost every culture in the world. All of our ancestors first cooked their meals using some form of wood-fired grill and clay, stone, or brick oven, and preserved their foods using woodsmoke (along with salt, sugar, and other techniques such as sausage-making).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,334,176 times
Malaysia: chicken and mackerel. (Not at the same time.)

Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
When I BBQ - I do this:

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM

@Teak: where are you located? Do you grill the mackeral?

@elnina: yum!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
I'm in Australia and gas barbeques are probably the more popular form of outdoor cooker now. There are the old Webers that use briquettes still kicking around but gas bbq would be the most common. Pizza ovens are also becoming quite popular too.

What Australians in general barbeque is a difficult question as it depends on their ethnic background and/or culinary expertise/daring. Can range from boring, greasy sausages to ... sky's the limit!

What do we personally barbeque? Pretty much everything. Any meats or seafood we barbeque is always marinated first. Lamb chops are our favourite. Lamb is a good price here as it's plentiful. Our favourite marinade is olive oil, garlic, lemon and oregano. Or olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic, lemon and rosemary.

We also love steak on the bbq. Chicken thighs. Not so much breast - prefer that pan-fried.

Kangaroo fillets are also good. But you have to love your meat rare as it goes tough as shoe leather. It's quite a healthy meat but many Australians are squeamish about eating their national symbol.

We have a wonderful variety of fish and seafood, so that goes on the barbie too.

There's a good range of sausages too. We like Italian sausages.

And veggies done on the barbie are delicious.

Pork - I prefer slow-cooked in the oven. But when I do ribs, I slow-cook them in the oven first, then barbeque them for about 5 minutes to get that smokey flavour.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 PM

@Vichel : Lot's of detail, thanks!

Man, I wish I could eat lamb and mutton more often, but it's too expensive here because not many people eat it regularly. However, Sam's BBQ does a great barbecue mutton that they slow cook in the pit (smoker) for about twelve hours. Sam's is a very popular place with Austin musicians, including Stevie Ray Vaughan, who was a regular there. It's so loved by the locals that when it burned down a few years ago, a bunch of customers got together and rebuilt it for free.

I wonder if kangaroo would benefit from our low-and-slow barbecuing technique? It works wonders on beef brisket, a notoriously tough cut of meat. We smoke it for up to 15 hours at around 225F (107C), which gives the collagen and fat plenty of time to melt and lubricate the meat, while at the same time the smoke flavor has plenty of time to penetrate. Delicious!

Last edited by elnina; 08-28-2010 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 04:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
August in Portugal - sardines grilled over charcoal or wood.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:37 AM

112 posts, read 281,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Kangaroo fillets are also good. But you have to love your meat rare as it goes tough as shoe leather. It's quite a healthy meat but many Australians are squeamish about eating their national symbol.

What does Kangaroo taste like ? And don´t say chicken.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 AM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
The most common barbecue items in France are various sausages -- chipolatas, merguez, saucisse de Toulouse, saucisse de Montbéliard, andouillette, etc. Sometimes even just normal frankfurters (also known as knacks or saucisse de Strasbourg). The most popular would be merguez, a spicy beef/mutton sausage of North African origin and andouillette (tripe sausage, but some people absolutely hate it).

Besides that, a lot of people make brochettes (kebabs, skewered meat with vegetables), generally cubed pork, lamb, beef or chicken.

Huge barbecue events will grill half lambs or whole pigs for countless hours and much basting.

Fresh sardines are also grilled, as are various other fish and jumbo prawns.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
August in Portugal - sardines grilled over charcoal or wood.
That's really cool. Here in the US we usually only eat sardines that have been canned, but I like them. I first had them as a kid when I would go camping with my granddad. We would eat them with Ritz crackers. Very tasty!

BTW, I read an article recently that said the ocean ecology would benefit greatly if people learned to eat more prey fish like sardines rather than top-tier predator fish like tuna and swordfish.

@kerouc2: We *love* smoking sausages here! The old-timers refer to them as "hot guts"

I haven't had andoulette, but I made a lentil stew last week using Louisiana Cajun andouille sausage, tomatoes and fresh okra. The andouille gave it some good flavor.

Last edited by elcoyoteloco; 08-27-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World