Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 PM

141 posts, read 686,283 times

Advertisements

Our country is "The United States of America" therefore we are Americans.
I believe this was already stated and I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with it. People have a lot of time on their hands.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 AM

245 posts, read 765,666 times
Well, "Columbians" was already taken. I guess we could try "Vespuccians" after Amerigo Vespucci. On second thought, that just sounds silly... and we'd never hear the end of it from Benjimi. Let's see...people in some countries call us Yanks, but as a Southerner that would grate on my nerves. I guess we'll just have to stick with "Americans". Of course, if that North American Union foolishness ever gets forced on us, then I'm not sure what we'd call ourselves.

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 08-06-2007 at 04:14 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Well, "Columbians" was already taken. I guess we could try "Vespuccians" after Amerigo Vespucci. On second thought, that just sounds silly... and we'd never hear the end of it from Benjimi. Let's see...people in some countries call us Yanks, but as a Southerner that would grate on my nerves. I guess we'll just have to stick with "Americans". Of course, if that North American Union foolishness ever gets forced on us, then I'm not sure what we'd call ourselves.

We'll be unionites? Lawl.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM

245 posts, read 765,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
We'll be unionites? Lawl.
Scr*wed is what we'd be if that ever happened.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,558 times
Default United Staters

United-States Residents should call themselves United-Staters. They have stolen the name of the entire continent for themselves. You don't see Europeans complaining about this because they are not Americans. Imagine if Germans for example would call themselves Europeans (before Germans) this would cause a s*** storm... Where is the equality in this?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Where is the inequality in this? Inequality is starving children in third world countries, or even first world countries. Inequality is getting into a horrible accident and losing your limbs while your foe wins the lotto. Inequality is getting cancer when you've lead a healthy lifestyle all your life. Inequality is losing your job when you've got mouths to feed while the CEOs get millions in severance. Inequality is stealing the land from the native Indians. This is not about equality or inequality; it is just mindless conversation, IMO.

We are not the United States. We are the United States of America; therefore, we are Americans. Many Europeans hate to be called Europeans. They'd rather be called by the name of their country: Germans, Irish, Scottish, French etc. Same with us. United States of America ... Americans.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
I learned this is grade school, that 'America' included all inhabitants from Alaska and the Northern Territories to Tierra del Fuego, including the Caribbean.

I call myself a US citizen rather than an American, from Texas or the US. I once bumped into a couple from Australia on a quiet cruise of Lac Leman. I replied that I was born in Texas but if I could not have been born in Texas I would want to be from Australia. I made a friend for life.

We are 'citizens' of the US.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:53 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
The words Peruvian, Mexican, Canadian, Argintinian, Brazilian, Honduran, Cuban, Haitian, Chilean, Bolivian, Venezuelan, Salvaldorian, Costa Rican, Puerto Rican and Panamaian roll straight off the tongue. They are more accurate words when describing people of those nations. Our nation is called the United States of America, we get to call our selves American so you don't have to hear us call ourselves Uniters, United Staters or USAers. It has been a colloquialism for centuries. Stop trying to make a political statement by taking our name. It means as much to us as any of the above mean to their respective nations.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
OK, now I'm slightly peeved. Australia can be a continent, a continent encompassing New Zealand and various Pacific islands. It is just a name, we didn't need some PC officer pointing out a flaw where there wasn't one. Like AMERICA, it is a country and TWO continents. People get which one you are talking about pretty quick with the prefixes -North, -South and -United States of. How bout we call the Americas (-North and -South) Isthmusania. Then no one would ever be confused. Cut the crap.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:03 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,853 times
[quote=Pochbarone;1043708]

I have just been discussing this very topic on another forum here - mine is not a popular perspective - as, generally speaking, I agree with you & never (that I can recall) refer to myself as "American" (rather, a US Citizen). Seems many view this as "un-american" & un-patriotic... go figure!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World