Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Isn't Toronto even more boring than London? (B/c Tdot is a smaller city with less entertainment, not as vibrant, etc.?)
I honestly don't know. I suppose it depends on how one defines "boring". I was simply viewing the three cities the OP listed and looking at their list of criteria:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2004 View Post

-The main requirement is job opportunity.

-English or Cantonese speaking
-Good Nightlife and activities(I lived in HK for 10 years and find UK, even London incredibly boring)
-Not too extreme temperature and weather
-Multicultural
-Nice, open minded people (not having to deal with racism so frequently)

I thought Toronto fit 4 out of the 6 items listed. It was just a suggestion. I'm not familiar at all with Sydney or Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 AM

361 posts, read 837,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I thought Toronto fit 4 out of the 6 items listed. It was just a suggestion. I'm not familiar at all with Sydney or Vancouver.
Agree and NYC should be the only city in the world that fit every 6 items but only if you CAN move there

Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Agree and NYC should be the only city in the world that fit every 6 items but only if you CAN move there
I've pondered the thought of moving to NYC myself because I love the architecture and the possibility for opportunity there, as well as the general vibe and all the city has to offer - but ultimately I just can't afford it.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM

683 posts, read 1,469,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2004 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new on here and found this forum very interesting and useful. I'm currently in university studying Optometry and when I graduate in a year time, I will be an Optometrist (Eye Doctor in US). I am thinking about moving away from UK after because I find it too boring here, thought about back to Hong Kong, but its way too expensive there. On top of my head, I like Toronto, Sydney and Vancouver. So where do you guys think will be suitable for me?

-The main requirement is job opportunity.
-English or Cantonese speaking
-Good Nightlife and activities(I lived in HK for 10 years and find UK, even London incredibly boring)
-Not too extreme temperature and weather
-Multicultural
-Nice, open minded people (not having to deal with racism so frequently)

Thanks!

So the Brits let you live in London for 10 years and now you are bashing their cities. Why dont you go back to your Cantonese home land?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 20,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
If you find London,one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world boring then very hard to say.
New York only other city to really compare with perhaps for the diversity,but would agree that there are more active night life cities than London.(a few choice European cities for example)
Again i would say New York, then again have you thought about working awhile in some developing world countries as your profession would be in great demand,you could do some good and find a sense of excitment as well.

Do you really encounter racism so frequently in London? Would be astounted to hear that being the case.
Hmm...Yes, London is quite boring personally, I'm not sure why, maybe there just isnt many things that I enjoy there, I'm sure its very exciting for most people. But I find that there's just seems so much more to do while I was in HK that there is in London...?? Not sure.

And yes! There is quite abit of racial problems in greater London as a whole. It seems non-existence in Central London, but when you get outside it, unfortunately its something occurs frequently. Still, not as much as in where I'm living now (Cardiff, Wales), its something you have to deal with on a daily basis.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
So the Brits let you live in London for 10 years and now you are bashing their cities. Why dont you go back to your Cantonese home land?
Sorry, I'm not bashing. I'm just saying its not very exciting, like I said in my last post, "I'm sure most people find it very exiting". However, personally, its not too exciting, hence I'm trying to ask for people's opinions on a suitable place for me, myself. Thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I've pondered the thought of moving to NYC myself because I love the architecture and the possibility for opportunity there, as well as the general vibe and all the city has to offer - but ultimately I just can't afford it.
Totally agree!! Given that its slightly cheaper on the cost of living, that would definitely the place I will move to. Too bad thats not the reality.
This is the same for HK, though not as bad, but its the same situation for the inhabitants there. The average earner in Hong Kong will not be able to even afford an average flat in Hong Kong throughout their life time! Which is the reason I am not considering moving back there.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM

361 posts, read 837,612 times
Ok if cost of living is important, don't move to NY, HK, Singapore or Sydney.
Move to Toronto, easy to migrate to visa wise ,very good cost of living & you can still move to the US after, only issue is cold winter

Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,300 times
San Francisco is like an Eastern Asian city in terms of population, and SF has a very good quality of life.

If you come to the U.S., SF is a good choice.

The starting salary of a SF police officer is $114,000 plus benefits. Imagine how much money doctors can make.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM

149 posts, read 358,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post

The starting salary of a SF police officer is $114,000 plus benefits. Imagine how much money doctors can make.
Seriously????? That's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World