Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,662 times

Advertisements

Originally from Lithuania, now live in the US but still hold my EU citizenship. I feel as if America has become way too materialistic and that our society is heading towards a path of self destruction. It's a shame as what once was a prosperous and beautiful country is slipping away from what made it great.

The youth living in middle to upper class suburbs are fascinated by thug culture and listen to rappers who make an album lying about the life they live to make their money and then spend their next 5 albums rapping about how much money they've made. The rest of the majority are those who watch Jersey Shore and base their lives around getting drunk and having a one night stand.

Please don't tell me this is what humanity has come to today. Whatever happened to loving each other or gaining wisdom and spirituality?

Will someone please help lead me to a place where the masses aren't as fascinated with materialism? Somewhere with beautiful scenery, relaxed people, and good food. A place where people will like you for you and not for your degree or the car you drive. I understand there's people like this everywhere you go but where are these people the minority? Certainly not the United States of America.

From the little research I've done thus far, I'm mainly interested in Northern Europe, South America, and possibly New Zealand.

To be exact, I'm most intrigued by Sweden and Norway on the European continent and Brazil, Argentina, Chile in SA.

Could anyone share some light on these places or recommend others they feel are better matches. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 AM

425 posts, read 653,489 times
If you have a problem with gangsta rap, materialism and selfishness, good luck finding that place where it doesn't exist. You'll be looking for a good long while.

That's the downside of places with beautiful scenery, relaxed people and good food. They tend to attract the exact types you're trying to avoid. I remember in my youth that place was California. Now look at it.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 AM

212 posts, read 400,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerpeace View Post
Originally from Lithuania, now live in the US but still hold my EU citizenship.
Why not back to your country? I happeded to see a TV program which introduced Lithuania yesterday, and was amazed at the beautiful scenery!

When it comes to living, I always prefer Europe over the US

Quote:
Will someone please help lead me to a place where the masses aren't as fascinated with materialism? Somewhere with beautiful scenery, relaxed people, and good food.
Beautiful scenery, relaxed people and good food? Portugal is your best bet

Old 01-30-2011, 02:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Please don't tell me this is what humanity has come to today. Whatever happened to loving each other or gaining wisdom and spirituality?

Will someone please help lead me to a place where the masses aren't as fascinated with materialism? Somewhere with beautiful scenery, relaxed people, and good food. A place where people will like you for you and not for your degree or the car you drive. I understand there's people like this everywhere you go but where are these people the minority? Certainly not the United States of America.

From the little research I've done thus far, I'm mainly interested in Northern Europe, South America, and possibly New Zealand.

To be exact, I'm most intrigued by Sweden and Norway on the European continent and Brazil, Argentina, Chile in SA.
I spent 10 months in South America. It is certainly a different world. I mean, since we're dealing with stereotypes, you'll certainly find more dancing as people's passion much more than consumption culture, etc.

I think you can get away from what you keep seeing, even where you are at, even within the U.S. It mostly has to do with the kind of people you attract or are seeking out.

Tons of subcultures in the U.S. to avoid it. You could even get into backpack traveling culture....all sorts of options, really.

But, going to a different country, you'll certainly find a completely different reality as well.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 AM

You could try my part of the world, the Inner Hebrides. Achingly gorgeous scenery, nice people and wonderful food (well, *I* think it's wonderful).

What you won't find here is an abundance of jobs. So plan how you can support yourself before you come here, or to a place like here.

Nonetheless, you'll never get far from materialism no matter where you go. We still have our share of Land Rover-driving, Burberry-wearing, foodie snobs who like to spend some quality time admiring their vacation homes.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 AM

209 posts, read 680,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
If you have a problem with gangsta rap, materialism and selfishness, good luck finding that place where it doesn't exist. You'll be looking for a good long while.

That's the downside of places with beautiful scenery, relaxed people and good food. They tend to attract the exact types you're trying to avoid. I remember in my youth that place was California. Now look at it.
This simply isn't true.

First of all, getting away from the gangster rap/hipster culture that seems so pervasive in much of the US isn't all that difficult. Hell, you can get away from that in various parts of this country.

Second, there are relative degrees of materialism, some more excessive than others. The US is deemed terribly materialistic. I find that true in many cases but not all. You can find materialistic people all over the world. You can also find good natured, down-to-earth people who live not to satisfy material needs, but to enjoy friends, family, and all that life has to offer. That's as much true for the US as it is anywhere else, depending on the kinds of people you surround yourself with. I'd assume it's much less pervasive in small towns across the world.

Third, regarding selfishness, well there are selfish and unselfish people everywhere. You're never going to escape that which is largely human nature. However, I think if you took a good hard look at the people you know as a whole, you'd find that most are good people who aren't wholly self-interested or self-centered.

If I were the OP and found myself completely disillusioned with the US, I'd probably move back to Europe. One could easily move to a small'ish town where good people live simple, satisfying lives that center around family and friends. My mom's sister (my aunt) and her brother (my uncle) both live in different parts of Denmark. While they have access to any and everything, they live a way of life that the OP would probably find very desirable. Their neighbors do too. But their lifestyles are not terribly unique. As Tiger Beer expressed in his post, you could find much of the same in South America. You could also find it in small towns throughout the US, especially out west.

It's not that difficult to separate oneself from the hipsters, Hollywood, and all the excess -- as far as the US is concerned, you just have to move away from the big cities and suburbia; in other parts of the world, you don't even need to do that.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
This simply isn't true.
I'll direct you to the post following my original one. As one who's spent the better part of two decades trying to get away from the worst of society, let me be the one to tell you that it *always* has a way of catching up to you.

Media is pervasive, and the materialistic values it instils in people is unavoidable. Even where I live.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
I suggest the OP move to West Virginia No seriously....really laidback people when you're out of the D.C. exurbs

Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I assume you live in NY or NJ, where some of your generalizations might hold true. However, the US is incredibly diverse and every state has its own culture. Watch the TV show about the Dugger family, go to Utah, look at the cowboy cultures, or the Amish or any of many other subcultures to see that there are many places in the US where your generalizations just don't hold water.

However, if you feel more European than American, and having been born in Lithuania, you probably do, maybe you would be better off leaving--- Slovenia, Italy, Greece.... la dolce vita???

Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Try Uruguay. They seem quite proud of the fact that they are not in the same ratrace with the nearby style-conscious Argentines just a ferry-ride away.

Or Canada. Amazing how un-American it is in quite significant ways.

As a person of Lithuanian ancestry, may I ask, What's wrong with Lithuania?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World