Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 AM

157 posts, read 475,224 times

Advertisements

Last night I was thinking about how we (Americans) were warned not to drink water in Morocco when I first went there, and we got the same warning about visiting our "neighbors to the south" Mexico. I tried the waters of the respective countries and you know the rest of the story.

+What is it about the water that we cannot drink it without having "problems?"
+Why can some foreigners drink the water and others cannot? (for example, Spaniards could drink Moroccan water, and Americans couldn't)
+In which other countries should Americans avoid drinking water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
In Ecuador, Americans (as well as the local population) should avoid drinking unboiled tap water.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
The biggest deal is that in most of these other countries, they do not clean their tap water well enough to make it safe for drinking. Having a system in place like the US does to clean all tap water is very expensive.
Bacteria is the biggest issue, with pollution being an issue as well. The US and just a handful of other 1st world countries are very furtunate to have clean, safe to drink tap water. We take it for granted, but believe me, much of the rest of the world does not have that luxury. Some people can drink the water in other areas because their bodies may have built up a resistance to whatever bad things are in the water.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
That fits with what I know. I think some in those countries don't drink their own water either as I've heard Hispanic Americans are more likely to drink bottled water than most other ethnicities. I'm assuming that's because they are used to it at home.

According to Gallup a third of Mexicans and Moroccans are dissatisfied with their water quality. So less than the US, UK, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand. However there are countries much worse, where the majority of their people are dissatisfied with water quality. One of the more modern countries to have that situation looks to be Russia where 54% were listed as dissatisfied. Among non-African nations Iraq looks most dissatisfied with 71% dissatisfaction. The Democratic Republic of Congo was most dissatisfied with 78%. Singapore was the most satisfied with their water quality, but I sometimes think Singaporeans feel they should say they're satisfied when asked a question as some of their poll answers don't make sense to me. Discounting them Scandinavia and Switzerland look to be the most satisfied with their water. In Africa Namibians seem most satisfied with their water and their satisfaction is about the same as Japan's. In Latin America Costa Rica and Uruguay have a satisfaction equal or superior to the US. Uruguay's water satisfaction is also listed as higher than Britain or Canada. So I guess if an American or Canadian had a problem with Uruguayan water it wouldn't be something the local's, officially anyway, would relate to.

1.3 Billion Adults Worldwide Unhappy With Water Quality

Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gazela View Post
Texas :) Houston’s Water Harmful: Contaminated with Radioactive Elements!! « Environmental Protech Blog

Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gazela View Post
Last night I was thinking about how we (Americans) were warned not to drink water in Morocco when I first went there, and we got the same warning about visiting our "neighbors to the south" Mexico. I tried the waters of the respective countries and you know the rest of the story.

+What is it about the water that we cannot drink it without having "problems?"
+Why can some foreigners drink the water and others cannot? (for example, Spaniards could drink Moroccan water, and Americans couldn't)
There are often bacteria that exist in the water that people from other countries have never been exposed to. Oftentimes people will get intestinal and digestive problems when initially exposed. Foreigners that have the offending bacteria already in their gut of course will come away unscathed.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I worried my post was a non-sequitir, but I guess it was relevant to the last question.

Using that poll I'd guess any place with below 67% satisfaction might be risky. Also the UN used to have a list of countries by access to clean water. I can't seem to find that in their latest report though. I did find the following PDF based on WHO figures.

http://www.worldwater.org/data20062007/Table3.pdf

Going by it the only place in Africa with access to safe water roughly equal to the US is Mauritius, but whether that means it's "safe" for US people I'm not sure. There are several places in the Caribbean that look safe according to this (Particularly Barbados, St. Kitts, and some of the Dutch-owned islands) and I think I've heard some of the wealthier islands in the Caribbean are fine. Guatemala has safer water than I would have expected, but I don't know that I would bank on it for a US/UK/Canadian type person considering I don't think it was that high on Gallup's poll. In South America Guyana and Peru look like they could be risky, while Uruguay again looks like it would be okay. (Consult someone who's went to Uruguay though on that or on any nation as I'm just going by stats) Some nations outside of Africa that look real risky by this include Afghanistan, Cambodia, East Timor, Laos, and Yemen. Although this info is like a decade out of date.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I got back from Mexico two weeks ago and I'm still suffering. Once. Just once I brushed my teeth with tap water. I should know better. I've been to the tropics a few times and I'm telling you I won't drink any local water again.

There is something else about these places you should all know and think about. DO NOT go into any fresh water rivers, ponds lakes etc. There are BAD parasites in a lot of these waters and they are just extremely nasty. Some of them can kill you.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Better being safe than sorry, I dont drink the tap water in any country i visit.

Ive got a friend who spent 6 months in hospital after drinking a cup of tea made with unboiled water in cambodia, it nearly killed him.

When in doubt, drink beer!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM

385 posts, read 858,836 times
don't drink it in China unless you boil it first, hell even the Chinese boil it first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World