Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,038,034 times

Advertisements

To heck when travelling.

As an Asian-American, white Americans have asked me where I was from and they refuse to accept "America" as an answer. They don't realize that my family has been here (HI) longer than theirs. And I speak perfect north american english, no west coast, no hawaiian accent. Northeast english.

Its extremely annoying.

These same people would NOT think to ask an African-American where they are from.

So folks please know.. this is really not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM

492 posts, read 1,010,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
To heck when travelling.

As an Asian-American, white Americans have asked me where I was from and they refuse to accept "America" as an answer. They don't realize that my family has been here (HI) longer than theirs. And I speak perfect north american english, no west coast, no hawaiian accent. Northeast english.

Its extremely annoying.

These same people would NOT think to ask an African-American where they are from.

So folks please know.. this is really not cool.
Actually, these same people probably would not view Black Americans as "real" Americans. You would be surprised by the amount of ignorance some people throw about. I'm not sure if you were in the states at the time, but there were MANY people who questioned Barack Obama's citizenship.

There is this general idea that ONLY white people can be Americans, and this is thought of even in the US. It's odd, many people KNOW that the US is very multicultural, for example, but they still are surprised by a black, asian, or mixed person speaking fluent American English. Many people, Americans or otherwise, view the US as a white country, and everyone else -while also being American- are a "different" thing. I can't really explain it...

I guess it's like an Indian-looking person saying they are from South Africa. South Africa is a very multicultural nation, but the world still sees it as black or white.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Actually, these same people probably would not view Black Americans as "real" Americans. You would be surprised by the amount of ignorance some people throw about. I'm not sure if you were in the states at the time, but there were MANY people who questioned Barack Obama's citizenship.

There is this general idea that ONLY white people can be Americans, and this is thought of even in the US. It's odd, many people KNOW that the US is very multicultural, for example, but they still are surprised by a black, asian, or mixed person speaking fluent American English. Many people, Americans or otherwise, view the US as a white country, and everyone else -while also being American- are a "different" thing. I can't really explain it...

I guess it's like an Indian-looking person saying they are from South Africa. South Africa is a very multicultural nation, but the world still sees it as black or white.
I know what you mean! Do you know what I get the impresion that a lot of mainland Europeans dont consider black British people to be British (I am finding this very thing on a seperate thread right now!)

Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,038,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post

True people can be ignant. I had an employee (White) from Zimbabwe and some people would look at her funny when she told people she was African. She was born and raised in Zim.. so she was truly African.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,815,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I know what you mean! Do you know what I get the impresion that a lot of mainland Europeans dont consider black British people to be British (I am finding this very thing on a seperate thread right now!)
I grew up in London/Kent. When I see black people, I expect them to sound like me. Now I'm living in Canada and I know that there are Canadian black people. I knew that before I moved here. But I still pause and have to shake myself a little when black people speak with Canadian accents. Obviously, I'm the immigrant and they're the ones who have been here for many generations. It's become a lesson in how slow I am to adapt.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,629,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
For example I don't consider black British people to be British, even if they were born there. I find the English (Sottish people - whatever) to be very different from Africans, Caribbeans ( wherever black British people originally came from before immigrating to the U.K.)
However I do consider Black Americans to be true Americans, because they are inseparable part of American history - that's number one, and number two it's the essence of America to consist of immigrants from different countries - that's what this country is based on, as much as Canada or Australia.
The nation of immigrants, while the idea behind the Great Britain is... well, Great Britain.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 AM

4 posts, read 12,672 times
When I've been in Russia and I'm heard speaking in English I almost always get mistaken as a German. That's based on language though and not on looks. I lived in the United Arab Emirates for about 7 years and that was a big game my husband and I would play: guess where people were from based on their looks and my husband is pretty good at guessing. Anyway, the most common guesses I received: Russian, Lebanese, Romanian, Moldovian, Italian, etc. I'm a US citizen with a Russian/Spanish/English (those are the most significant) background. I never was guessed to be an American. My husband who is Russian always would get Australian, German, American, etc. And he has the foreign accent in English, whereas I have a native accent. Weird.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
For example I don't consider black British people to be British, even if they were born there. I find the English (Sottish people - whatever) to be very different from Africans, Caribbeans ( wherever black British people originally came from before immigrating to the U.K.)
However I do consider Black Americans to be true Americans, because they are inseparable part of American history - that's number one, and number two it's the essence of America to consist of immigrants from different countries - that's what this country is based on, as much as Canada or Australia.
The nation of immigrants, while the idea behind the Great Britain is... well, Great Britain.
Im sorry but this is just fooolish! My kids are black and EVERY bit as British as me, Im not sure why you think they are 'very different' just because of their skin tone! this is a VERY outdated way of thinking. They are teenage girls and they are exactly the same in their ways as all the other teenage girls of all other races that they go to school with!!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,541,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's the difference between New World countries and old world countries. In America, the nation was founded by many immigrant groups and none have really been there all that much longer than the others and can claim it exclusively for themselves (although the indigenous peoples have completely legitimate claims to their regions, despite their small numbers). In England, the blacks are the minorities in a country that is majority indigenous with a cohesive identity. There is a big psychological and cultural difference in the way people think about countries as a result of that.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,848,047 times
Not sure if I've already posted here but I've been mistaken for Italian and Puerto Rican before despite the fact that I'm only half Italian and half Korean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World