Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times

Advertisements

my husband is regularly asked if he is Scottish or Irish by Americans we have met since moving here despite the definate Germanic accent to his English...

When he does say he from Switzerland at least 6 times he has been asked if he speaks Swedish

I love accents and trying to place people, almost as much fun as trying to guess by how people dress... hours of fun when you are traveling... not in a horrid way. It just makes me giggle when people fit the stereotypes...makes the hours in airports more amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsite View Post
LOL! You guys think it's so interesting. Try being Asian American.

When I travel to countries, often times people think I'm Japanese. However, if I got to Japan, China, or Korea, they think I'm local and speak to me in their native language which I don't understand.

Even Americans in my hometown will look at me like I'm from a different country.
I met a guy when I lived in Hong Kong who was born in the East End of London to HK Chinese parents. He spoke no Mandarin and little Cantonese which he said no one understood because he has such a strong accent. but hearing the real strong cockney accent come out when he spoke did make me smile because it was so unexpected !!
He did have lots of problems though because he couldn't communicate with a lot of his family and his parents were frustrated as they wanted him to marry a nice HK girl....

Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
When he does say he from Switzerland at least 6 times he has been asked if he speaks Swedish
Thanks for making me spill my coffee!
(ETA: I have heard people of all nationalities ask the Swiss this question.)

Quote:
I love accents and trying to place people
I love accents too, some of them are incredibly charming...

Last edited by Miaiam; 05-05-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
I don't know what it is ... but somehow I think you just might be exaggerating ... just a bit I know Swiss like to think that Americans are too stupid to distinguish between the Alps and Scandinavia, but I've never met one who has this difficulty.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I don't know what it is ... but somehow I think you just might be exaggerating ... just a bit I know Swiss like to think that Americans are too stupid to distinguish between the Alps and Scandinavia, but I've never met one who has this difficulty.
No seriously I could even name 2 of the people.. the others were random people we chatted to. One a waitress in Pennsylvania, one guy in Newport and 2 people in bars in NYC... the reason we started counting was because it was so funny. The guy in Newport refused to believe a country so small - about 16,000 sq miles could have 4 national languages..maybe they mis-understand his accent

Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM

512 posts, read 1,184,043 times
I'm Polish but I've been mistaken for German a couple of times (mostly outside Chicagoland). But in Chicago most often I am mistaken for other Slavic nationalities (Croat, Czech, Russian). When I recently went to a Romanian store they talked to me in Romanian...

Old 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Isn't it funny when one is so sure you are from a country you actually aren't this person starts speaking that language as if he/she were sure you would understand it?!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Isn't it funny when one is so sure you are from a country you actually aren't this person starts speaking that language as if he/she were sure you would understand it?!
Its equally funny to pretend you don't speak the language and eavesdrop !! hubby does this all the time.... Its also a good way to get rid of people trying to sell you stuff when you are on holiday, just answer in another language..

We were in Rome recently and there were some people behind us at the Vatican and hubby asked them very politely in English if they could stop their child mis-behaving ( he was screaming, kicking our seats and being very disruptive) as it wasn't only disturbing us but also everyone around who had travelled a long way to see the Pope. The guy in German made quite disrespectful comments to his wife and told his child to behave because we were angry.... hubby replied in his perfect German and they guy was gobsmacked. They left very soon afterwards.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:38 PM

88 posts, read 223,129 times
Quote:
Its equally funny to pretend you don't speak the language and eavesdrop !! hubby does this all the time.... Its also a good way to get rid of people trying to sell you stuff when you are on holiday, just answer in another language..
I understand Cantonese and Korean and English, and I find that I eavesdrop often and pretend I don't understand what is going on. Depending on the situation, I can pretend I'm Chinese, Korean, or American and don't speak the languages spoken to me. Sometimes I will use this skill to avoid vendors trying to sell me stuff, or negotiate in a stronger language. Sometimes I play along and let people think I'm a certain race. I find that most people can't tell the differences between different Asian languages anyways, so I can just say I'm any race.

I don't know why I do this. I guess I got bored of having to explain to people that I'm born and raised in America. Also, I notice people treat you differently depending on your culture.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
People have thought I was: Greek, Italian, Portugese, Puerto Rican, Spanish, East Indian and Brazilian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World