Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 PM

514 posts, read 470,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
He's right, in France and in probably most countries Broadway is far more famous than the west end. Everything American is usually more well known in the world because of the popularity of American cinema and TV shows. Also NYC seems much more iconic in the world than London .
Doesn't mean than the west end is inferior to Broadway. Now it's very hard to compare those two with what you find in Paris . not the same language , not the same kind of shows. Broadway type shows would be considered terrible in France . we hate musicals and that kind of stuff
Broadway has more brand exposure than the West End theaters, but I would say London itself has more international iconic brand appeal than NYC. You can tell this by the lead it has in international overnight visitors (MasterCard 2014) or by more specialized rankings like the anholt-GfK City Brands Index. New York does have more social media exposure though (Guardian's Cities Brands Barometer, Mainka et al. 2014).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 05:27 PM

401 posts, read 649,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Broadway has more brand exposure than the West End theaters, but I would say London itself has more international iconic brand appeal than NYC. You can tell this by the lead it has in international overnight visitors (MasterCard 2014) or by more specialized rankings like the anholt-GfK City Brands Index. New York does have more social media exposure though (Guardian's Cities Brands Barometer, Mainka et al. 2014).
London is in Europe and EU citizens are considered foreign while Californians visiting NYC would not be considered foreign. A Parisian couple visiting London could take the train which takes 2 hours to get there. The California couple would have to spend 5 hours in a plane. It is a bit unfair for American cities. NYC is as touristic as Paris and London without a doubt.
NYC is more iconic in my opinion. Same for Paris. London is iconic but behind those two. Basically Paris has better architecture and monuments, and is famous for so many things like outdoor cafes etc and NYC represent the strength of American, modern and impressive architecture, massive skyline etc. London is between the two, so it doesnt represent something as strong as those two.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 AM

391 posts, read 753,424 times
Lets just say this:

London was always the bigger and more important city...then New York City started growing tremendously during the end of the 19th century and by the 1950's it had actually surpassed London. But London has now taken the spot back as London is growing fast and New York City is declining.

But we can't really say that one is much more important than the other. They are in the 1st and 2nd place respectively, and no other city comes close to either of them. They will go back and forth between #1 and #2 depending on the regions economy etc.

No big deal. They are both world class. London is the old, respected king. New York is the king's son, who now shares the throne with his father. He's a bit more aggressive and vulgar than his father, and he's a great leader. But the father still has the respect of the people.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
New York City has been equal or greater in importance and size to London for about 100 years now, it's not exactly a new city taking the old one's spot. To compare the cities, you need to also compare the entire metropiiltan area — both starting growing past their limits over 50 years ago — neither city is declining, though London's recent growth has been faster.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:01 PM

401 posts, read 649,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Lets just say this:

London was always the bigger and more important city...then New York City started growing tremendously during the end of the 19th century and by the 1950's it had actually surpassed London. But London has now taken the spot back as London is growing fast and New York City is declining.

But we can't really say that one is much more important than the other. They are in the 1st and 2nd place respectively, and no other city comes close to either of them. They will go back and forth between #1 and #2 depending on the regions economy etc.

No big deal. They are both world class. London is the old, respected king. New York is the king's son, who now shares the throne with his father. He's a bit more aggressive and vulgar than his father, and he's a great leader. But the father still has the respect of the people.
NYC is far from declining, it was declining in the 70s/80s even 90s maybe but now it's booming. NYC has more impressive construction going on than London, with the central park supertalls, hudson yards, WTC. And the boros are gentrifying quickly, especially western Brooklyn and Queens
London is building a lot, but it's not building impressive buildings. Just your average highrises.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:51 AM

391 posts, read 753,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
NYC is far from declining, it was declining in the 70s/80s even 90s maybe but now it's booming. NYC has more impressive construction going on than London, with the central park supertalls, hudson yards, WTC. And the boros are gentrifying quickly, especially western Brooklyn and Queens
London is building a lot, but it's not building impressive buildings. Just your average highrises.
Haven't they "built" that thing for 15 years now? Nothing ever happens.

EDIT: Just saw that it was actually finished. Wow. Anyway, it looks really ugly and does not fit in at all. Strange as I've been to NYC like twice in the last year or so. But managed to miss that building completely from my field of vision.

Last edited by svedski; 07-23-2015 at 05:38 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,909 times
There are definitely more skyscrapers under construction in New York City than London and there are been more skyscrapers build during the last decade in NYC.

In New York City, new skyscrapers are hidden in a see if other existing skyscrapers unlike in London where skyscrapers are few.
A 700 ft tower is invisible in Manhattan general skyline.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Lets just say this:

Quote:
Haven't they "built" that thing for 15 years now? Nothing ever happens.

EDIT: Just saw that it was actually finished. Wow. Anyway, it looks really ugly and does not fit in at all. Strange as I've been to NYC like twice in the last year or so. But managed to miss that building completely from my field of vision.
That's an interesting framework, but it's not quite accurate. NYC probably boomed ahead of London by the roaring 20s (though was already very prominent before that) since the US had solidly become the strongest economy in the world post World War I and NYC was the financial center of that economy. I think it's pretty solidly cemented that NYC is actually more important than London at this point (though obviously not more important historically).

WTC was rebuilt and opened and a couple of the other buildings in the WTC complex, most of which would look individually massive in London and is taller than London's tallest or at the very least would rank within the top ten. Real estate and development has gone through a recent boom--actually a real bad boom in some sense because NYC's become a sinkhole for the wealthy people of banana republics and the like who need somewhere to sink that money just in case things go belly up which means people who live here get to see formerly vibrant blocks become quieter, less lively, and less distinct despite all the development. I believe that's something London managed to get ahead of NYC in though hopefully that's not true.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:44 PM

969 posts, read 825,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's an interesting framework, but it's not quite accurate. NYC probably boomed ahead of London by the roaring 20s (though was already very prominent before that) since the US had solidly become the strongest economy in the world post World War I and NYC was the financial center of that economy. I think it's pretty solidly cemented that NYC is actually more important than London at this point (though obviously not more important historically).

WTC was rebuilt and opened and a couple of the other buildings in the WTC complex, most of which would look individually massive in London and is taller than London's tallest or at the very least would rank within the top ten. Real estate and development has gone through a recent boom--actually a real bad boom in some sense because NYC's become a sinkhole for the wealthy people of banana republics and the like who need somewhere to sink that money just in case things go belly up which means people who live here get to see formerly vibrant blocks become quieter, less lively, and less distinct despite all the development. I believe that's something London managed to get ahead of NYC in though hopefully that's not true.
I guess it depends how you define "important".

Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM

969 posts, read 825,314 times
Quote:
Wow. Anyway, it looks really ugly and does not fit in at all. Strange as I've been to NYC like twice in the last year or so. But managed to miss that building completely from my field of vision.
You're far from alone: Flawed 1 World Trade Center Is a Cautionary Tale | NY Times

It turned out kind of disappointing didn't it? I still think they should have rebuilt the original twin towers.

Hudson Yards should turn out to be decent, though I get the creeping suspicion they'll mess that up too.

For comparison I thought the Shard was a bit disappointing after completion, but now that there are other high rise/reclad developments going on around it, it's looking pretty impressive now. Who knows, 1 WTC will also grow on me as well.

Last edited by CTDominion; 07-23-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World