Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 01:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
^ London does have a pretty strong grasp on the rest of the world - or as strong as any city can have short of being a hegemonic power.

Try doing financially substantive business in any major city around the world and your reference point would be London not New York.
New York is clearly an economically more powerful city than London, and clearly leads in finance. The cities aren't close on either measure.

If you're trying to say "London has greater financial interest in a broader variety of places than NYC" then I would agree. Since London has a small domestic market, and since London is positioned closer to much of the developing world, it tends to have more influence in more geographies. That certainly makes sense, but doesn't mean than London is as powerful or important as NYC. It just means that London ventures farther afield for its business (because there isn't as much business at home).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 01:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Yet despite having a far larger metro, lags its sister city in financial trading, foreign direct investments, international tourism, retail and so on, in some areas quite significantly. I don't think it's tenable to say specificity or specialization entails insignificance.
Not true. NYC is far more important than London for financial trading, and generally has more foreign direct investments most years. It's also a much bigger retail center.

But the UK is a tiny country. Obviously it will have more international tourism. Singapore or HK have basically 100% international tourism, because they are city-states, doesn't mean they are bigger tourist centers than London or Paris just because they have smaller domestic markets from which to draw.

And the fact that NYC beats London for international investment most years is doubly impressive because of this fact. NYC needs no international investment to be the worlds leader for investment because the domestic market is so massive; in contrast, foreign investment is London's lifeblood, because there are no major wealth centers in the UK outside of London. London could never be as great as it is if it were dependent on the UK.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:36 PM

514 posts, read 470,958 times
I don't know what mushrooms you had for dinner NOLA, but I'm sure some here would be keen to try some for themselves.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 15,318 times
Paris
London
New York

New York is just ugly now and doesn't even seem modern anymore. Paris is beautiful, modern and old, perfect sized streets. Same with London, except feels a bit smaller than Paris but IS cleaner.

La Défense is still the first and biggest business district of Europe although Canary Wharf is catching up.

Paris and London both have a "large feel" on the big avenues and boulevards but everything in NYC is just too large and Manhattan is tiny. It's just a complete concrete jungle.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Inner London, Manhattan and whatever you've defined as "Paris" are not equivalent entities.

London and New York have roughly the same population.
Of course they are. The CITY OF PARIS is tiny and has not been changed since 1860, although it is LARGER than MANHATTAN and than the central area of London.

The metro population of Paris is 12 million +, London is around the same

The Paris city limits will change next year and will be at around 7-8 million.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:35 AM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro7en View Post
Paris
London
New York

New York is just ugly now and doesn't even seem modern anymore. Paris is beautiful, modern and old, perfect sized streets. Same with London, except feels a bit smaller than Paris but IS cleaner.

La Défense is still the first and biggest business district of Europe although Canary Wharf is catching up.

Paris and London both have a "large feel" on the big avenues and boulevards but everything in NYC is just too large and Manhattan is tiny. It's just a complete concrete jungle.
I don't think NYC was ever really "modern" within the adult life of the average GenX-er or subsequent generations.

I would have imagined places like 6th avenue would have seemed modern in the mid-late 20th century when the 60s/70s architecture there was proliferating, but not so much these days.

Paris's aesthetic is timeless, so it has obviously preserved well. London is basically an ancient city that is now being retrofitted and revitalized with modern infrastructure and technology. Both look great today.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
I don't think NYC was ever really "modern" within the adult life of the average GenX-er or subsequent generations.

I would have imagined places like 6th avenue would have seemed modern in the mid-late 20th century when the 60s/70s architecture there was proliferating, but not so much these days.

Paris's aesthetic is timeless, so it has obviously preserved well. London is basically an ancient city that is now being retrofitted and revitalized with modern infrastructure and technology. Both look great today.
That's exactly how Paris is too. Old city with modern fittings. Paris was the first city to start a public bike sharing, now the first city to start public car share (all electric). London and Paris both feel more modern than NYC by far, as both London and Paris, as you said, have beautiful timeless architecture + new things as well (canary wharf, La Défense etc..)

Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro7en View Post
Paris
London
New York

What a load of rubbish - I assume you don't know New York well. Gotham has actually got better with age. I now consider it - in the best sense - a 'new Old World city. Take a walk through the West Village, beautiful tree-lined (in some cases) cobblestone streets, lined by rows of Federal town houses, the 'old world charm' easily matches - or surpasses anything you'll find in London (my home town) or Paris. Take a walk through the Upper West or East Sides, gorgeous Beaux Arts apartment buildings.
New buildings are going up apace (no less than in London which I visit regularly). Recently uber-slim apartment towers are joining the mid-century and Deco high-rises. Your dismissal of New York (concrete jungle, 'modern' (or not in this case) 'too large' - 'tiny' Manhattan - smacks of uninformed cliché.
How do you say 'sour grapes' in French?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Criteria:

Weather~Paris

Quality of life~New York City

Traffic~ Paris

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~New York City

Career Opportunities~New York City

Scenery~London

Cleanliness~London

Entertainment/Recreation~New York City

Singles Scene~lol idk, NYC?

Cost of living~ New York City

Crime~Paris

Location in the world~London

Residents~London

Any other comments?
NYC is the center of the world, London is amazing, and paris is good but should not be in the same boat as NYC or London
Which do you personally prefer?- London with NYC at a close second and Paris is great too in my opinion.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:21 PM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
What a load of rubbish - I assume you don't know New York well. Gotham has actually got better with age. I now consider it - in the best sense - a 'new Old World city. Take a walk through the West Village, beautiful tree-lined (in some cases) cobblestone streets, lined by rows of Federal town houses, the 'old world charm' easily matches - or surpasses anything you'll find in London (my home town) or Paris. Take a walk through the Upper West or East Sides, gorgeous Beaux Arts apartment buildings.
New buildings are going up apace (no less than in London which I visit regularly). Recently uber-slim apartment towers are joining the mid-century and Deco high-rises. Your dismissal of New York (concrete jungle, 'modern' (or not in this case) 'too large' - 'tiny' Manhattan - smacks of uninformed cliché.
How do you say 'sour grapes' in French?
I wrote in a similar thread to this that Manhattan has just as many if not more tree-lined residential avenues than London, so the view of greenery being relatively absent in NYC seems to be an unjustified stereotype. As you say, NYC is definitely not short of charm, such as the brownstone-lined cobble streets or the Beaux Arts motifs as you correctly mention.

However, as distinguished as they are, knowing the areas reasonably well, I personally don't think they come close to the cachet of beauty that you find in historic Paris, central London or other major European cities with an historic core predating the 19th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World