Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times

Advertisements

Could you not say that you just want to study for a semester? and then another semester...like unlimited tourist visas for 20 year residents of Thailand.

I actually studied abroad for a summer--non degree program--and they did not nazi me to death with the paper requirements...but you are correct. hard to argue with the facts.

BICKERING ASIDE: The true question is if we believe the OP will improve his career prospects/livelihood by seeking a euro degree and relocating there? Me thinks no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 10:32 AM

255 posts, read 565,728 times
I think it would depend. They have a lot of English language nursing degrees in Finland that would be useful. I wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
Hello everyone,

I am currently in Italy enrolled at the University of Bologna ALMA Graduate School MBA; I am looking for viable funding alternatives to compliment a scholarship I received. Does anyone have any idea what kind of assistance there is for studying abroad? I am a US citizen, but it seems that the FAFSA won't work here since this program is not included in their list of foreign partner schools. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
I think it would depend. They have a lot of English language nursing degrees in Finland that would be useful. I wouldn't mind doing that myself.
I think if the OP has the proclivity to be a nurse he would not have posted what he did. Medical professions seem to be immune from the current employment malaise in the States.

An RN and then later an MBA leads to an awesome gig. I used to date a chick with these quals and she had offers, and matching offers, and counter offers up the ying yang.

Same thing with engineers with an MBA.

All smarter folk than me.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonita1231 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am currently in Italy enrolled at the University of Bologna ALMA Graduate School MBA; I am looking for viable funding alternatives to compliment a scholarship I received. Does anyone have any idea what kind of assistance there is for studying abroad? I am a US citizen, but it seems that the FAFSA won't work here since this program is not included in their list of foreign partner schools. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

private loans were possible to get prior to the recession. I dont know now. though. You would have to check.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 PM

183 posts, read 601,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I think if the OP has the proclivity to be a nurse he would not have posted what he did. Medical professions seem to be immune from the current employment malaise in the States.

An RN and then later an MBA leads to an awesome gig. I used to date a chick with these quals and she had offers, and matching offers, and counter offers up the ying yang.

Same thing with engineers with an MBA.

All smarter folk than me.
A degree in a field in demand plus an MBA from a well ranked/connected school would pretty much guarantee you immunity from the high unemployment in the US I think. I don't think many people are in such a situation nor feel comfortable footing the bill of an MBA from one of those well connected schools. I'd go for one if I was already in a career, like an executive MBA.

I think having a degree in a field that isn't in high demand, no business experience, and then getting an expensive MBA would be quite a gamble right now.

To the OP, if you have business background or a business BA, you should try working for a bank. They offer paid in-house schooling once you're employed for 6-12 months and show a lot of interest in a particular area. Your salary would increase quite a bit depending on the qualifications you achieve.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
If you are interested in studying in the Netherlands, this website contains all the information you need regarding study options, grants, cost of living, housing, entry visas, diploma evaluation, etc.: http://www.nuffic.nl/international-students.

I did a quick research and you do not need a visa if you're from the USA (and several other countries). Tuition fees for non-EU students range from ~ €6,000 to €7,000 for undergraduate courses and ~ €9,000 to 12,500 for postgraduate courses. I only looked into the Business & Economics field cause that's where your interest was. If you are concerned about the international recognition of your Business degree, there are two Universities in the Netherlands that have the Triple Accreditation: Erasmus University Rotterdam and Maastricht University. There are six Dutch Universities in the QS World University Ranking top 110 (Amsterdam, Utrecht, Leiden, Rotterdam, Delft, Maastricht), which is more than any other Continental European country. There are over 1500 courses offered in English. However, take into account that housing is quite expensive (usually between €300 and €500 euros a month for a small room), health insurance is obligatory and the cost of living is generally higher than in the USA, so if you choose to study abroad purely for economic reasons, the Netherlands is probably not the best choice.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM

53 posts, read 214,069 times
@ErikJohnsson -Thanks for the informative post. Even a cheap UC college is going to cost me $28K+/-. There is just no way.

@irman - I had no problem getting some grants when I went to school several years back and I doubt that with my age that I would be a strong candidate. Also, I live in Socal and the cost of living here is through the roof. It would be just to hard to pull it off. Also, Im in my 30's and the last thing I want to so is move back with the folks.

@Datafeed - Can I teach English without a BA or certification?

@bejarano - Do you have any experience with living or visiting Chengdu, China?

@LindaVg - Thanks for the post. Seems like the cost will be too much.

-------

I have been really looking into this for several days straight and think that studying, and perhaps relocating to Europe; might not be the best decession at the moement. One of the main reasons that I want to leave the States is because of the state of the economy. It doesnt seem like Europe is in any better position, especially Berlin.

At the moment I think I will travel to South America for a couple of months. As much as I would like to go backpack through Europe, I dont think my budget would afford me to. Not sure what I will do from there, but Im thinking China for the low cost of living from what I have read so far. My issue will be the Visa because I am certain that I will not be returning to the States. China and Japan have a ton of economic opportunity.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM

255 posts, read 565,728 times
I have an American friend who LOVES Chengdu, I have never been to it myself but my friend thinks it is marvellous city and the best place to live in China.

You'll get the visa easily enough and you will have plenty of opportunity to make extra money. Your only real decision is where to live. I lived in some right crapholes in China but I enjoyed myself, there are some really nice places to live where it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Keep out of the 'main four' of Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen and you will be able to have a good lifestyle on limited means.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Not too far away, but I've heard that many Americans study at McGill University in Montreal to take advantage of the lower tuition.

Minnesota has a in-state/province tuition reciprocity agreement with Manitoba (as it does with Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Iowa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World