Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times

Advertisements

This is a work in progress and these GDP numbers are based on research into several govt statistical sources, economic think tanks, chambers of commerce, local business resources etc. In some instances, I was aided by sources citing the percentage of a national economy is represented by a city or metro. Any and all insights and observations are welcomed and in fact requested.

In any event, I used the urban agglomeration map and chart from citypopulations.de to determine population.

I decided to use Nominal GDP instead of Purchasing Power Parity GDP because Im more interested in actual GDP instead of relative GDP.

The only Urban Area whose population I changed was London because I could not find a GDP stat that was similar to the 11 Million pop figure from citypopulations.de, so I combined London and Southeast England's populations and GDP(data from the online statistical portal of the UK govt).

added 10/16/2011. For Paris, the entire population of the Ile de France region was used instead of just the figure provided by citypopulation.de

I am also considering combining the Rhine-Ruhr Area, Milan and its surroundings, Shanghai and more its surroundngs as well as other cities depending on input from other forumers coroborrated by actual data.

For US urban agglomerations, these are the GDP stats for their CSA or uncombined MSA from the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the Commerce Department.

Amounts are in US Dollar using the currency exchange rates for Dec 31, 2010.

Here are the findings so far of the Top 50(actually 51). It could change as I add other cities that I havent calculated yet.

Here are urban agglomerations in the Top 50 as far as population, but not in the Top 50 as far as GDP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:27 PM

410 posts, read 950,362 times
Lists of threads on City Data according to level of interestingness:

1. Every other thread on City Data

2. This thread

So this thread comes second, not bad!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM

10,163 posts, read 15,040,014 times
The GDP numbers should had been compared on a Purchasing Power Parity basis. Nominal figures can be artificially inflated by controlling the exchange rate to cause such illusion, among other tactics. Such imbalances are removed in PPP.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Nominal figures can be artificially inflated by controlling the exchange rate to cause such illusion, among other tactics. Such imbalances are removed in PPP.
I actually mentioned that in the first post:
I decided to use Nominal GDP instead of Purchasing Power Parity GDP because Im more interested in actual GDP instead of relative GDP.

In actuality, PPP creates illusions because it doesnt just measure just the total dollar value of total economic output(which is what Nominal GDP is), but PPP factors in cost of living and income disparity, ultimately trying to compare countries on as level a playing field as possible, and that is commendable and productive when trying to determine a plan of action to solve issues of socio-economic issues, but that's not my concern here

I want to know total dollar amounts without any factors skewing the outcome.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 AM

690 posts, read 1,203,515 times
Wonder if it was measured on exportable output and debt incurred. The Ruhr would probably come out top!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:20 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,621,571 times
London has a much higher GDP per capita then that.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 AM

27,650 posts, read 28,750,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, many of the numbers there do look off. Other sources have different figures.

However, I think focusing on cities and their metropolitan areas is the right idea since so much of the world's population lives in these places nowadays and so much wealth is created and concentrated there.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,621,571 times
True.. GDP per capita does not measure wealth accurate anyway as it is dictated by the strength of each country's currency.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yes, the UK Region known as London does yes, but as I incidated above:
The only Urban Area whose population I changed was London because I could not find a GDP stat that was similar to the 11 Million pop figure from citypopulations.de, so I combined London and Southeast England's populations and GDP(data from the online statistical portal of the UK govt).

In the interesting of being realistic, I had to add London and Southeast England together because London's area of influence stretches beyond just the UK statistical region known as London.

Otherwise, the London region has a GDP that is approximately 400 Billion US dollars. And I think people would probably have a bigger problem with that than Per Capita GDP.

Any suggestions as far as what areas constitute London would be welcome.

And here is the 2009 GDP data for all UK Regions. (They call it GVA, Gross Value Added).
www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/.../SN05795.pdf

I used the 2010 data for the ranking above btw.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,486,626 times
How are Tokyo, New York City, and Ciudad de Mexico metros not part of this list!!? For both population as well as GDP they've got to be top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World