Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I cannot stand the sound of French or Vietnamese. Really don't like the sound of German either.

Love Portuguese, Polish, Farsi, and American Sign Language lol. I know that last one sounds weird but I love being able to speak a language that is not sound-based at all. Also I like the feel of ASL but I hate the feel of British Sign Language.
Vietnamese either sounds like they're swallowing something, or shouting. It sounds sort of dopey. A lot of Asian languages seem to contain alot of shouting for some reason. As moosketeer observed they sound very 'yappy', short and staccato, certainly not attractive imo.

I was originally going to make this a best/worst sounding language thread so since that's what it's turned into anyway. I'll say some of my other favourites is Portuguese, I'm most familiar with the Brazillian variety. It sounds pretty different to Spanish. I honestly don't get the appeal of Spanish. It sounds sort of 'trashy', despite who's speaking it and how rich they are. It's also way too fast! Many men think the Spanish accent on a woman is sexy, personally I don't like it. Also annoying is the Latin-tinged American accent like Jennifer Lopez or something. The Mexican accent can sound cute though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Like Vietnamese Valley Speak? That's an interesting observation because I find Australian teenage girls' accent/lingo to be annoying as well. There's that constant uplift at the end of every sentence, it's nasal, interspersed with way too many instances of "like", and the word "no" sounds more like "noi". Shudder!
I get a cringe from the Australian-English accent too. Regarding other variations of the English language, also to a certain extent the NYC/ Northern NJ accent, overdone Southern accents, the South African, Cockney and Canadian (or Upper Midwestern US) accents annoy me in different ways.

In terms of other languages, I find Vietnamese, Punjabi, Cantonese, German annoying in that order..Vietnamese and Cantonese are very choppy and sound terrible to untrained ears.

French and Italian are the most pleasant to my ears, sure there are many regional variations that only speakers of these languages know about.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 PM

Yeah a lot of Australian and American teenage girls annoy the heck out of me. The ones who have that wannabe Val way of speaking Vichel was talking about. Why can't young people speak without every word sounding ditzy or bitchy? Where don't they speak like that, is what I'd like to know lol.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah a lot of Australian and American teenage girls annoy the heck out of me. The ones who have that wannabe Val way of speaking Vichel was talking about. Why can't young people speak without every word sounding ditzy or bitchy? Where don't they speak like that, is what I'd like to know lol.
K I can see that the girls in (Southern) CA can most likely get away with speaking like that, since that is the birthplace of "Valley Speak" (where I live in Glendale)..an annoying immature accent at that..but to hear that same joke-of-an-accent thousands of miles away (in the Northeast US and Canada and apparently Australia of all places) is TOTALLY silly

The "Valley Speak" you actually do not here in the UK as far as I remember

Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
K I can see that the girls in (Southern) CA can most likely get away with speaking like that, since that is the birthplace of "Valley Speak" (where I live in Glendale)..an annoying immature accent at that..but to hear that same joke-of-an-accent thousands of miles away (in the Northeast US and Canada and apparently Australia of all places) is TOTALLY silly

The "Valley Speak" you actually do not here in the UK as far as I remember
Yeah Lady Gaga sounds Val to me. Ugh.

Yeah I'm familiar with the British accents. They can be annoying in their own way, but they're more diverse/colourful.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,503 times
I love the Mancunian accent from Shameless by the way. It's damn' hard to follow and I'm always glad to have captions, but hearing Frank Gallagher rave and rant is awesome .

Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Farsi.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Hebrew sounds annoying to me.....sounds very harsh and grating.

Ebonics is also an annoying sounding language....fo sho dawg! Though it is funny sometimes.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hebrew sounds annoying to me.....sounds very harsh and grating.

Ebonics is also an annoying sounding language....fo sho dawg! Though it is funny sometimes.
Lol Ebonics almost does sound like a different language. I guess for me the whole attitude behind it can get annoying. Let alone fat black women with their heads moving side to side, it's just hilarious too though .

Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 AM

9 posts, read 24,997 times
Dutch from the Netherlands is the most annoying sounding language to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World