Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times

Advertisements

First, people who travel abroad is a selected subset of the general population, and not indicative of a culture. And people who have to learn a new language in order to travel have a different set of educational and experiential pretexts.

The main factor that pervades the whole culture is the public education system, depending on whether children are taught first to be obedient, or analytical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 06:58 PM

468 posts, read 616,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post

The problem with America are those rural and suburban folks, whose lack of awareness about the world and history, allow themselves to be more susceptible to manipulation.
Same goes for Australia. The rural folk are less engaged with world affairs, however I do not see a major problem with this, as long as they do not espouse hateful/ignorant views on marginalised or minority groups.

I have also seen a lot of "university educated", "intelligent" people from the cities say some very damning and unwise things. In fact I think there are a lot of young people in university who think their intelligence gives them license to be arrogant and think they are always right.
So I guess intelligence is a broad spectrum: you can be intelligent but rigid and ignorant of other opinions.
I think truly intelligent people are those who try to see things from a number of different perspectives.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Is that a sole sampling of college education exclusively among any form of school accumulation when older? Sorry, lots of other qualities matter too. Spirituality side outside of superficial. For one example, people acing their own SAT/ACT exams equivalent end up quite overly rigid limiting too overly conventional closing off. Political ideological theories into action is just a full enough other affair that is rearranging accuracy. Simultaneously tons of other miscellaneous variety to express wildly. Mixing of smart, and dumb even amount for tons of widespread geographic coordinates throughout.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Same goes for Australia. The rural folk are less engaged with world affairs, however I do not see a major problem with this, as long as they do not espouse hateful/ignorant views on marginalised or minority groups.
Interesting. I don't find the same in NZ, although a similar perception also exists among academic/professional rednecks

The reality is that many so called enlightened urban types don't get past the country accent and bare feet, and I don't feel that I need to prove myself, or counter their dopey presumptions - even happy to play along with it.

I'm actually in rural Australia now, and many rural folk I know would be a little disappointed (but not surprised) by such sweeping generalisations.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
I think urban Americans (those that have been accused as elitists) are worldly, although not as worldly as Western Europeans.

The problem with America are those rural and suburban folks, whose lack of awareness about the world and history, allow themselves to be more susceptible to manipulation.
I’m a suburban American. I’ve been all over the world. What matters is socioeconomic status and intellectual curiosity, not urban vs suburban vs rural. To travel, it takes money or job skills where your employer is willing to pay for your travel. Anyone can learn about the world. Anything you’d like to learn is a few mouse clicks away on the internet.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Another thing - Americans often have tendency to PROJECT their outlook on other countries. With another words, they have certain ideas about how things work in the US and they are often coming from the assumption that the ideas should be the same behind other countries, what makes them tick, instead of realizing that the Old World might be of a different concept all together, particularly when it comes to Europe.
This is correct, and often works exactly the other way. Europeans have a very strong tendency to look at the US and say, We do it in such-and-such a way, it works perfectly, and you Americans are stupid and ignorant not to adopt our ways. They do not give a thought to any of the fundamental differences between the USA and the various European countries and/or the EU, which would explain *why* we are not like Europe.

Sometimes this plays out in very minor ways, like Europeans complaining about the "stupid" American system of adding sales tax at the register without having the vaguest clue about why we do it this way. Or often it is large things like why doesn't the US just go ahead and ban guns and adopt universal healthcare, how hard could it be.

Last edited by saibot; 02-01-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-01-2019, 01:37 PM

278 posts, read 230,729 times
Culture has to do with studies and travel but ALSO WITH THE HABITAT,.-
In Spain and Italy according to UNESCO they have the 2 main artistic and historical World Heritage .

In the most the cities and towns of Spain and Italy there are Romanesques Churches,Gothic Churches,Castles, Monasteries , Roman aqueducts ,etc etc etc etc etc.-

In these 2 countries even the less literate people know more or less some of their history..

And it is still true the maximum as sayd Ciceron that "History is a teacher of life"

Being immersed in a historical Habitat gives you a Cultural Base and a interest in history and art.-

At the beginning of the last Century was still many illiterate castilian farmers.

When the famous english writer Chesterton returned from a trip to Spain they asked him for his impressions of the peasants of Castile and he answared with one of his famous paradoxes " I Admired how cults and wise what were they these illiterates were".-

Old 02-01-2019, 01:44 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Most aware: Israel, Switzerland, Scandinavian countries.

Most ignorant: China, India, most Eastern European countries.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:57 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is correct, and often works exactly the other way. Europeans have a very strong tendency to look at the US and say, We do it in such-and-such a way, it works perfectly, and you Americans are stupid and ignorant not to adopt our ways. They do not give a thought to any of the fundamental differences between the USA and the various European countries and/or the EU, which would explain *why* we are not like Europe.

Sometimes this plays out in very minor ways, like Europeans complaining about the "stupid" American system of adding sales tax at the register without having the vaguest clue about why we do it this way. Or often it is large things like why doesn't the US just go ahead and ban guns and adopt universal healthcare, how hard could it be.

This is true.
The fundamental differences are not easy to figure out right away, hence - the initial reactions like this..

Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m a suburban American. I’ve been all over the world. What matters is socioeconomic status and intellectual curiosity, not urban vs suburban vs rural. To travel, it takes money or job skills where your employer is willing to pay for your travel. Anyone can learn about the world. Anything you’d like to learn is a few mouse clicks away on the internet.

Russia would be a big exception in this case, (particularly when it comes to such big cities as Moscow and St. Petersburg.)

As much as urban population is addicted to intellectual life, concerts and museums, gossips, fashionable restaurants and lattes, the RURAL population is addicted to the life in nature and the wilderness ( sort of like life in Alaska, to make the best comparison.)
And RURAL life in Russia is rural for real. It's not urbanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World