Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,653 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a 23 y/o male currently living in the United States. I'm on the quest to find the best place to live at my point in life. I have found many interesting places online but I figured asking people who have lived there, or at least have had some sort of experience, would be much better! To give a better idea of my situation: As said above I am 23, I only have my high school diploma(also about 1.5 years of college credits), my past jobs: painter, construction, hospitality, auto body, UPS, and a few others. I'm looking for a place that I can find a job with my current skills that will make enough for rent and the rest of my income will be earned from free-lance graphic design. I do know that a majority of countries do require me to apply for immigration, which is something I would like to avoid if possible(via school visa or something else). I have also seen that teaching English in a(some) foreign countries is also an option if I was to pursue such a career. I do not know any other language besides English. The size of the city is not a big deal, the only concerns i would have would just be the cost of rent/ internet availability(seeing as most of my work will done online) Thank you for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 19,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinbread View Post
Hello! I am a 23 y/o male currently living in the United States. I'm on the quest to find the best place to live at my point in life. I have found many interesting places online but I figured asking people who have lived there, or at least have had some sort of experience, would be much better! To give a better idea of my situation: As said above I am 23, I only have my high school diploma(also about 1.5 years of college credits), my past jobs: painter, construction, hospitality, auto body, UPS, and a few others. I'm looking for a place that I can find a job with my current skills that will make enough for rent and the rest of my income will be earned from free-lance graphic design. I do know that a majority of countries do require me to apply for immigration, which is something I would like to avoid if possible(via school visa or something else). I have also seen that teaching English in a(some) foreign countries is also an option if I was to pursue such a career. I do not know any other language besides English. The size of the city is not a big deal, the only concerns i would have would just be the cost of rent/ internet availability(seeing as most of my work will done online) Thank you for any and all help!
Hey man, every country is going to need to you get some kind of visa to emigrate. The only countries that won't have many requirements are countries I don't think you would desire to live in (ie some this world hell hole) where are you interested in? Europe? Asia? Canada? Australia?

If you have a couple of years of skilled construction experience and some money in the bank you can move to Canada or Australia. For Europe it's harder. Do you have any recent Euro ancestry? Like a British Irish German r Italian grandparent? If so you maybe eligible for citizenship in hose countries or at least an easier process. Asia is easier but remember no matter how long you live there you'll always be seen as a foreigner and the languages are very hard to learn compared to say french or Dutch or something...

Australia is more expensive than America but the minimum wage is like $17 and Canada has similar prices to the USA (of course a cheap country own is cheaper than a big city) Europe outside of Germany will be undeniably more expensive than the USA but it evens out because you won't need a car. Internet access is pretty universal you'll only run into problems with that and other quality of life issues like electricity clean water unstable government in 3rd world countries.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Thank you for the detailed response Ukmatt1127! As far as where does not really matter to me, the only thing I am concerned with is the ability to get a job that can, at the very least, pay for rent once I do whats required to get into whatever country it may be. I do realize that this process will take some time, which is perfectly fine. I'm just trying to figure it all out so I can start the process asap. I have also been looking into jobs that make it easier to get a visa, so any info on those would be awesome again ty for the help UKmatt!

Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 PM

9 posts, read 19,578 times
Quote:
Thank you for the detailed response Ukmatt1127! As far as where does not really matter to me, the only thing I am concerned with is the ability to get a job that can, at the very least, pay for rent once I do whats required to get into whatever country it may be. I do realize that this process will take some time, which is perfectly fine. I'm just trying to figure it all out so I can start the process asap. I have also been looking into jobs that make it easier to get a visa, so any info on those would be awesome again ty for the help UKmatt!
Ok well you're an English speaker so that pretty mic narrows your search to Britain, Ireland, Canada, Australia and NZ.
Britain and Ireland are difficult to immigrate too unless you're in a shortage occupation (medical field or phd level research) or have ancestry in those countries. However lets say you're eligible for German or Italian citizenship because of ancestry you can move here unrestricted because of EU freedom of movement laws.

Outside that, google the list of occupations and other entry requirements for Canada and Australia. For Canada it's called "Federal Skilled Worker" and for OZ google "189 visa skilled occupation list". Don't know anything about NZ immigration but I know they definitely have a large skills shortage due to losing a lot of their younger people to Australia in search of better wages and all that jazz. With the Canadian and Australian visas you will be a permanent resident and have the same rights to subsidized healthcare and university as citizens. Also might be less of a culture shock thanAmerica to Europe as far as people, space, and cost of living.

I apologize for spelling issues I'm typing this on my phone.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
With your minimal education and job skills its going to be tough to qualify for immigration to another country,
Many would be of the opinion that you are already living in the best country in the world,
What problems do you have with America that you think are going to be solved by moving to another country?
No matter which country you want to live in immigration procedures will have to be dealt with..Give Canada a try just to get an idea of whats involved with the immigration process.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/enGlIsH/index.asp
If its just about seeing the world is joining the military possible?

Last edited by jambo101; 05-31-2014 at 04:11 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 05:39 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Different countries are looking for people with different job skills depending on the country. If one has at least one Jewish grandparent one can immigrate to Israel. Another option is to go to another country and then marry a local person. Besides teaching English or getting a more upscale job skill (like an engineering degree for example), it is difficult for an American to immigrate to other countries. Again the USA large enough that one could try a different area or alternately move to a US possession such as Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, etc.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:00 PM

Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for your replies! I have done a little bit more digging around/thinking and I found out I can prove polish ancestry on both sides of my family starting with my great grandparents. Which I do believe that would help in gaining citizenship in Poland (assuming i get accepted) thus allowing me to live/work freely among the 28 EU countries, if I understood my research correctly so far. I also had thoughts of studying abroad, anyone know how that would come in to play? Again thank you all for your help!

EDIT 1: @jambo101 its not that I'm looking for move to another country to solve any problems, The end goal is me trying to find where I want to live, but i know I cannot simply just pack up and move to another country. Thus I started this thread to even see what my options would be and from there I want to start immediately working on making it come true, even though it may take some time. Also no military for this guy.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
I have done a little bit more digging around/thinking and I found out I can prove polish ancestry on both sides of my family starting with my great grandparents. Which I do believe that would help in gaining citizenship in Poland (assuming i get accepted) thus allowing me to live/work freely among the 28 EU countries,.
Its called citizenship by descent, As i was born in England and my daughters both born in Canada we applied and they are both now British citizens replete with British passports.
Not sure how far back citizenship by descent goes back in Poland but i`d be surprised if it went back to great grand parents.
Might be something in this bunch of sites that address the issue.
https://www.google.ca/#q=citizenship...nd&safe=active

Old 06-01-2014, 03:37 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,959 times
Well since you are under 30 you can be eligible to get an one year working visa here in Australia. Here is the link for more info on it and it even mentions Americas are eligible as well.

Working Holiday visa online applications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World