Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM

771 posts, read 1,394,980 times

Advertisements

For those have learned another language and fairly fluent, what are some dialects you cannot understand from that language.

For instance, many people I know that have learned Spanish cannot understand Puerto Rican or Cuban dialects but can understand almost all the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I can speak Spanish as correctly as anyone else in Latin America, but when it comes to listening to it (at 70mph) I fall on my face, dialects or no dialects.

I once talked to a Mexican vendor at the Swap Meet here, and given the large number of Mexican buyers, she told me that there's so many different dialects, even with the Mexicans, she has had problems understanding a number of them!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
English- Some think southern accents

Spanish - Some Chileans like Rosa Espinoza(youtube celebrity)

Portuguese from Portugal.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Caribbean dialects of Spanish used to be some of the hardest for me, but spending time in Tabasco, Mexico (right on the Gulf Coast) changed that.

Despite spending 18 days in Spain, I still struggle to understand Castillian TV. Argentine and Chilean dialects are also very difficult to understand.

Also, almost everywhere, the poor and uneducated are much harder to understand than the wealthy and highly-educated, who tend to speak in a dialect more similar to the "standard" or "uniforme" one on TV. They also tend to have all their teeth. I think this is true of any language. My Mexican friend understands many of the words that I speak in a comfortable Minnesota dialect of English, but comprehends almost nothing spoken in "Ebonics".

Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Portuguese from Portugal.
yeah, because an "s" is an "s" in Brazil, and an "s" is a "sh" in Portugal. It takes a while to make that leap.

My answer:
Vietnamese people speaking English - they can't say "s," they say "t"
LAT VEGAT

Filipino people speaking English - they can't say "f," they say "p"
PRENCH PRIES

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Anybody here ever listened to a native English speaker from South Africa? Just wow.

Living abroad I have met many brands of English, I can generally pick them out now and pretty well guess where they're from. It is amazing how many versions of English there are, but the South Africans (great people!) are all but incomprehensible to me. I need subtitles when listening to them.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
For Americans, the big giveaway (among others) is 'ok'. I actually love this word as it is understood by just about everyone worldwide, but really only Americans use it. It really is not that common a speech element in other native English speakers.

In Eastern Europe I used to elicit great laughter, in any awkward language transaction when everybody finally figured out what everybody else was saying and I'd say "ok!" Great gales of giggling.....I never have figured out why it was quite so funny...... But it was.

Ok!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I am French and have great difficulty wih older people from inland Brittany where the French becomes mangled ( not actually a separate dialect just a very strong accent) and the Dialect of the "Chtis" in Northern France is also incomprehensible to me.

I have lived in the UK and and cannot understand many people from Glasgow , Liverpool and sometimes South-Western or Norfolk broad accents. Not separate dialects again terribly strong accents.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
yeah, because an "s" is an "s" in Brazil, and an "s" is a "sh" in Portugal. It takes a while to make that leap.

My answer:
Vietnamese people speaking English - they can't say "s," they say "t"
LAT VEGAT

Filipino people speaking English - they can't say "f," they say "p"
PRENCH PRIES
I've noticed that.

Also with Indians, they can't say "w", they say "v" instead.
VONDERFUL
VEDNESDAY

They also put an absurd amount of emphasis on Ds and Ts at the end of words, but they always pronounce the terminal D as a T.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
Even as a native English (Scottish) speaker, I find some of the Highlanders hard to understand.
Aberdeen accents can be undecipherable, as can some of the islanders

At the moment I'm learning Norwegian, but finding the Stavanger dialect hard.
It's only subtle differences, but it can catch you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World