Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

In which countries do people identify strongly with the state they live in, in which countries do they not seem to so much?

The US is clearly a country where state pride is high. After all it's in the nation's name, United STATES of America. Many Americans are very proud of their state and hold parochial attitudes - some states in particular.

I would say Australians generally identify strongly with their states. Part of it is to do with our history - we began as separate colonies (the capital cities of each state), connected by sea, that came together in 1901 as the Commonwealth of Australia in an event known as 'Federation.' It was the founding of modern Australia. Each state has their own stereotypes, nicknames for residents...e.g. Queenslanders are known as 'Bananana benders' are are seen as a bit redneckish and conservative, while Tasmanians are stereotyped as the equivalent of hillbillies in the States. Victoria and NSW often have a big rivalry, as do WA and the Eastern states (although that's a lot more one-sided).

I think Canada does to an extent, simply because of it's size....

What about Brazil?

I think many countries have strong regional identity, but that is bound to happen with cultural diversity. I'm more wondering about being proud of your state/province. Is this the case in say Russia? In the UK people don't seem to identify with their counties so much: they identify more with cities (Liverpool - Brummie) or regions (West Country, Yorkshire, Geordies in the Northeast).

Of the older nations, India and China have strong state identities. Some southern provinces have their own languages (Yue or Cantonese in Guangdong province and Hong Kong and Macau SAR, Shanghainese in Shanghai, and the Min dialects in Fujian). The distinctions seem more elementary the further north one goes. In India the cultural differences are even more pronounced, as each state often has a different language (Bengali in Bengal, Hindi in Uttar Pradesh, Gujarati in Gujarat).

I thought it was an interesting topic of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I think Israelis are very proud of their country.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think Israelis are very proud of their country.
Did you even read my question mate? lol

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM

170 posts, read 769,176 times
In regard to Canada most "Quebecois" have a very strong provincial and cultural identity due to their different background (primarily French-Acadians; French-speaking).

Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
In regard to Canada most "Quebecois" have a very strong provincial and cultural identity due to their different background (primarily French-Acadians; French-speaking).
Yes of course, the situation in Quebec is more akin to those in older countries where languages are associated with a particular state, certainly an anomaly in the immigrant nations.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,401 times
I heard Bavarians are like Texans and think other germans arent really germans.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
I heard Bavarians are like Texans and think other germans arent really germans.
Texans don't think other Americans aren't really Americans. They just think Texans are a higher breed of steer. Tongue in cheek.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM

174 posts, read 640,258 times
India definitely.

Also the Philippines. Most regions and provinces speak their own dialect, have different ancestry, different culture and has strong pride of their land.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Germany's states have considerable identity recognition, and are, like the US, quite autonomous.

The regions of Italy, no longer separate political identities, were all separate kingdoms 150 years ago and retain their cultural identities.

Also, the UK has strong county identity, as well as France's departments.

As mentioned, Australia perhaps even more than the US, and also Canada maybe more than the US. Mexico, too. South Africa has only four states, but they are almost as separate as countries, and 100 years ago they were separate colonies. India could also go on the list.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Germany's states have considerable identity recognition, and are, like the US, quite autonomous.

The regions of Italy, no longer separate political identities, were all separate countries 150 years ago and regain their cultural identities.

Also, the UK has strong county identity, as well as France's departments.

As mentioned, Australia perhaps even more than the US, and also Canada maybe more than the US. Mexico, too. South Africa has only four states, but they are almost as separate as countries.
Good post, jtur .

I think Australia only having 6 states and 2 territories has something to do with it. Yet most of our states are on average about as populated as the average American state. Western Australia is over 4 times the size of Texas yet has less than 2 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World