Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,623,935 times

Advertisements

If you consider Poland to be first world, then Poland it is.

I think Italy's standard of living might be lower than the others listed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Yeah, I don't know how Italy, Portugal and Poland would all compare.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:35 PM

837 posts, read 1,288,682 times
Quote:

That's because people always associate Italy with the Southern Italy stereotype. If you see the EU GDP per capita you'll see that Northern Italy and the upper half of the country are some of the wealthiest regions in Europe (and the world).

Italy is much richer than either Poland or Portugal. They are different leagues.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,540,436 times
South Korea. That country is conformist, overworked, and somewhat joyless. Maybe they do better on paper than the other countries, but they don't enjoy life enough.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,492,139 times
Singapore. Draconian laws... Like mandatory death penalty for drug-trafficking...really!?!? And they have the highest execution rate per capita from what I remember. Or somewhere close.

Or this here:

WORLD CORPORAL PUNISHMENT RESEARCH: JUDICIAL CANING IN SINGAPORE, MALAYSIA AND BRUNEI

What kind of non 3rd world country has corporal punishment by caning!? Especially for "rioting, vandalism, and certain immigration violations"...

Quote:

Have you been to Poland? Probably not. I've been there once and it looked like any other part of Europe to me.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 PM

244 posts, read 593,473 times
Italys standard of living is not on the lower end at all, and none of the countries listed should even be questioned about how "first world" they are, because they all classically fit that category. From personal experience, having grown up in both The US and Italy, Italys standard of living is high...very high compared to the rest of the world...it is like any other "first world" nation in that some areas and some situations are better/worse than others, and also in some ways Italy is better at something and in some ways worse, but all these countries are in the lucky position of being in the top precentage of the world in regards to standard of living. I am not defending Italy because of my heritage or my close ties, believe me I have thousands of critiques and negative things to say about it, but I was just shocked to see that subjecty was even being questioned and argued.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 PM

360 posts, read 983,991 times
Poland and Ireland are not really first world countries.

Countries that boasts relatively large GDP and advanced social infrastructure are.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,184,601 times
I said Japan, working 12 hours a day, gee I'd almost rather die.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,596,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
That's because people always associate Italy with the Southern Italy stereotype. If you see the EU GDP per capita you'll see that Northern Italy and the upper half of the country are some of the wealthiest regions in Europe (and the world).

Italy is much richer than either Poland or Portugal. They are different leagues.
You're partially right.
Actually Northern Italy is still a rich country, but that doesn't mean that it always offers a high quality of life.
In fact Milan, Turin, Bologna and Genoa (and theirs metropolitan areas) aren't exactly pleasant cities: they are still losing population and you will NEVER find them on any "world best cities" list...
Southern Italy unfortunately is not a first world country: sure, you can find some nice historical villages, but overall urban standards and quality of life are comparable to Latin American countries' ones.
Again, I still don't think that Italy OVERALL has the worst quality of life in Western World: Greece, the SunBelt and the Midwest in the USA and almost any Eastern Europe countries are IMHO worse...

Last edited by italianuser; 06-10-2012 at 03:41 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 03:08 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,348,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Are you defining quality of life by the amount of free crap the government gives you or the amount of opportunity available to achieve your dreams?
The United States of America doesn't fair well in either of those categories. lol.

I picked South Korea. Longest working hours of all developed countries. One of the most alcoholic nations in the world. Men have to marry foreign wives because of the sex ratio imbalance. And many other......sanitary issues come to mind that have to be dealt with when living there. Yeah. Its a bit tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World