Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 AM

922 posts, read 807,012 times

Advertisements

In China, three generations live under one roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 04:31 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Why are people who live with parents in their 20s viewed so negatively on here? First of all, not many can afford to live on their own at least here in Italy; there's a strong concept of family here and unlike Anglophone and Northern European parents don't drive their kids outside of their houses when they turn 18; even when kids move out they choose to stay close to their family because when they get married and have kids their parents help out massively.

I think it has its own pro and cons although i would prefer moving out (which if i can afford i will do next year when i go to uni) but still not being too far from relatives

Old 12-02-2015, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,283 times
Hi Stan4, which country?

Old 12-03-2015, 03:30 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
In France it is very strange for people over, say, 22, to live with their parents. I left when i was about 24 and I most of my friends had lived with roommates or alone for years at that point.

In Italy I have seen situations where the daughter would move to live with her boyfriend only to have her parents move to the upper floor, because she was not married and that was not correct for a young (30 yo) girl to live with a dude she was not married with, so the parents had to stay nearby. That is kind of an exception of course but I'm always amazed that people always live so close from their parents here.

In France though there is a lot more financial help for students / poors whereas here welfare state does not exist, so obviously it is difficult to live alone, even though most things are cheaper.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
I wish this was a poll question, so I can see percentage of world that follows this. From the 3 page I read seems like "living with parents" I'd the norm in most part of the world.

I am from indian subcontinent & lived with my parents until late 20s when I got married. It was difficult to talk with my American coworker about our living arrangement n I often those we (south asian) people only followed this crazy lifestyle. I am glad to see this thread and learn something new.

To be honest I always thought my American friends were putting too much emphasis on "freedom" & "need to move out". They spent all their earning, spend Spain time cooking/cleaning while their family wasted equal time/effort barely surviving just so they can have few hours to themselves without family. It never bothered me much with living home sometimes I needed to get away from mom's constant nagging but a weekend getaway took care of that desire. I paid my parents mortgage so they can retire earlier while they took care of food/household so I had more time to spend with friends. So what I didn't master the art of scrubbing toilet n making stir fry, when did those skill become the symbol of freedom

Old 12-08-2015, 04:11 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
In France it is very strange for people over, say, 22, to live with their parents. I left when i was about 24 and I most of my friends had lived with roommates or alone for years at that point.

In Italy I have seen situations where the daughter would move to live with her boyfriend only to have her parents move to the upper floor, because she was not married and that was not correct for a young (30 yo) girl to live with a dude she was not married with, so the parents had to stay nearby. That is kind of an exception of course but I'm always amazed that people always live so close from their parents here.

In France though there is a lot more financial help for students / poors whereas here welfare state does not exist, so obviously it is difficult to live alone, even though most things are cheaper.
It's because parents don't want to let go of their sons and daughters and at the same time they can be useful for their sons and daughters to keep their children in check when they go to work for example

There is welfare state but just not to the same extent as France because of years of budget cuts and uncontrolled liberalism (Berlusconi and now to a lesser extent Renzi)

Old 12-08-2015, 04:32 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
To be honest I always thought my American friends were putting too much emphasis on "freedom" & "need to move out". They spent all their earning, spend Spain time cooking/cleaning while their family wasted equal time/effort barely surviving just so they can have few hours to themselves without family. It never bothered me much with living home sometimes I needed to get away from mom's constant nagging but a weekend getaway took care of that desire. I paid my parents mortgage so they can retire earlier while they took care of food/household so I had more time to spend with friends. So what I didn't master the art of scrubbing toilet n making stir fry, when did those skill become the symbol of freedom
Cultural differences. In Western societies yes, scrubbing a toilet and cooking for yourself are a sort of a symbol of freedom. Because our societies are much more individualistic than Asian ones.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:09 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Cultural differences. In Western societies yes, scrubbing a toilet and cooking for yourself are a sort of a symbol of freedom. Because our societies are much more individualistic than Asian ones.
Actually that's what I thought, but after living in a student complex with (mostly) Westerners I realised that many of them don't cook at all, while many Asians know how to cook decently.

That is not to say they are not independent though, I guess they are just fine with eating bread or cereal.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually that's what I thought, but after living in a student complex with (mostly) Westerners I realised that many of them don't cook at all, while many Asians know how to cook decently.

That is not to say they are not independent though, I guess they are just fine with eating bread or cereal.
Yes of course, not everyone know how to cook or have much interest in it. Not saying that.

Actually I prefer girls who aren't that good to cook but are interested in it, so I can dominate what we eat.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:04 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unapologetic dom View Post
Yes of course, not everyone know how to cook or have much interest in it. Not saying that.

Actually I prefer girls who aren't that good to cook but are interested in it, so I can dominate what we eat.
Oh you want to dominate what the ladies eat, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World