Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:44 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Never been to these but just my impression.....

- Dublin, Ireland
- any Canadian city
- Manchester, England
- Birmingham, England
- Cardiff, Wales
- Oslo, Norway
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Brussels, Belgium
- The Hague, Netherlands
- Seoul, South Korea
- Singapore
- anywhere in Saudi Arabia or the Persian Gulf states with the possible exception of Dubai
- San Jose, California
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Seattle, Washington

Old 06-05-2016, 12:34 AM

33,318 posts, read 12,491,270 times
I like questions like this. Some people have picked places that are rather small, and some people picked places that aren't really part of the developed world. Some people also listed cities they've never been to ...not really valid listing a place as boring if you've never been there, IMO. Even though the OP hasn't posted since 2013, I tried to take what the OP was asking to heart as much as possible.

I started with the 5 on the OP's list

Adelaide
Perth
Winnipeg
Columbus, OH
Omaha, NE

I took Perth and Adelaide off the list because I haven't been to either. I've been to Winnipeg, but I disagree with the OP, so I took Winnipeg off the list.

I used Omaha as the cutoff re population.

I looked at a list of U.S. cities by population.

There are 42 U.S. cities that rank above Omaha re population. I've been to all of them except Raleigh, NC.

I added Oklahoma City and Milwaukee to the list.

I clicked on the developed world link from the OP....only will include cities from the 47 countries that rank 'very high' on the Human Development Index.

I started looking at the thread and noticed someone mentioned Bratislava. I've been to Bratislava, and I agree. I added Bratislava to the list (some posters mentioned Luxembourg City, but IMO Bratislava edges Lux City out). Bratislava and Omaha are about the same re population.

I then looked at la few more lists that cover the 47 very high HDI countries(especially a list of EU cities by population re all the cities above Bratislava in population) to see if any of the cities I've been to (many) seemed more boring than Bratislava. I didn't find any.

My final list....in no particular order....

Omaha
Columbus
Oklahoma City
Milwaukee
Bratislava

Old 06-05-2016, 12:44 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
In California or United States: Orange County.
It seems that way on the surface. Get to know OC a little bit and you'd change your mind.

I think it's more happening, when you get to know it, than San Diego is. Plus, OC is in the shadows of much more robust L.A.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
Monterrey
Jacksonville
Auckland
Vancouver
Geneva
Frankfurt
El Paso

Old 06-05-2016, 12:50 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
In my experience, the top five in no particular order are:

- The Hague, The Netherlands: I really enjoyed this city, but to call it exciting would be a major stretch. At least it's close to Amsterdam, Leiden and Rotterdam.
- Frankfurt, Germany: For a financial capital and the arguable capital of the Rhine-Ruhr region, it's kinda sleepy. I liked it, but it's sleepy.
- San Diego, USA: Remarkably boring and monocultural given its melting pot of U.S. Navy and Marines personnel and large Hispanic population. I call it "Bland Diego." My least favorite on this list.
- San Jose, USA: I can go to one of its much smaller suburbs, e.g., Milpitas or Fremont, and find just as much cool, interesting stuff to explore or as many great restaurants to try out.
- Bratislava, Slovakia: I would definitely return here again for the architecture and "feel." To call it exciting is a huge stretch, however.

Honorable mentions:
- Indianapolis, USA: A conurbation of the same hokey culture that defines the rest of Indiana.
- Vancouver, Canada: Amazing city in its multiculturalism and outdoors activities, and, yet...it still feels so bland. Don't get me wrong, I've been twice, enjoyed both trips and I would even go back, but I wouldn't call it a stimulating city.
- Portland, Oregon, USA: A smaller Vancouver in some respects.
- Columbus, Ohio, USA: What's there other than insurance companies, Ohio State University, and a big football bowl (again, OSU)?

Old 06-05-2016, 03:01 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

- Dublin, Ireland
- any Canadian city
- Manchester, England
- Birmingham, England
- Cardiff, Wales
- Oslo, Norway
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Brussels, Belgium
- The Hague, Netherlands
- Seoul, South Korea
- Singapore
- anywhere in Saudi Arabia or the Persian Gulf states with the possible exception of Dubai
- San Jose, California
- Seattle, Washington
I bet most American cities are more boring than the European ones you have listed. What about Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, ..?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:51 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

- Dublin, Ireland
- any Canadian city
- Manchester, England
- Birmingham, England
- Cardiff, Wales
- Oslo, Norway
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Brussels, Belgium
- The Hague, Netherlands
- Seoul, South Korea
- Singapore
- San Jose, California
- Seattle, Washington
Really!!!! - in the entire world.

Btw Birmingham, Manchester and Cardiff have made the top 10 of Rough Guides must visit cities in recent years, whilst Dublin was named as one of the best cities to visit by Lonely Planet. There are others on the list I also don't agree with including US and European Cities however I will concentrate on the cities in the British Isles that you have mentioned.

Birmingham in Rough Guide 'top 10 cities in the world' - BBC News

Manchester is UK's capital of culture says travel bible Rough Guides - Manchester Evening News

10 Reasons Why Cardiff Is One Of The Coolest Cities In The UK | Rough Guides

Rough Guide to Great Britain hails 'rumbustious' Cardiff - Wales Online

Lonely Planet names Dublin one of world's Top 10 cities to visit in 2016 - Independent.ie

Lonely Planet declares Dublin Best in Travel 2016! | Ireland.com

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-05-2016 at 05:07 AM..

Old 06-05-2016, 02:55 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _FirstName_LastName_ View Post
They have urban sprawl, true, but the cultural interactions far exceed those of many European cities, honestly. Atlanta and Houston especially have a strong zest and spice that many European cities lack; must be due to the Hip-Hop culture seen in both of them.
A bunch of foreign petroleum workers do not make Houston more interesting. And what is so fantastic about hip hop? It is no longer that popular in Europe or even the US. Most European cities have their own music scene.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:35 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _FirstName_LastName_ View Post
Actually, Los Angeles dates back to the late 1700s. Las Vegas is only interesting to a niche scene (Gaming).
It's beyond how people would want to go to Las Vegas just to blow their money away in the matter of couple days. Aside from that, isn't betting and gaming allowed anywhere in the USA? So why specifically Las Vegas?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:01 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I think Houston is a great city with a lot of nightlife. NASA Mission Control is a fun attraction for the family, and Houston is also close to Galveston and the Texas Gulf Coast.

Columbus, Ohio has a VERY happening nightlife thanks to Ohio State, one of the largest college campuses in the nation. Not very touristy but not boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World